Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going to post this in the selling forum but I need a 75 post count, not only that I'm not trying to sell it here. I just have a question of value.

I have an '87 f/s XLT, 302, C-6, runs/looks very good, 150k miles.

Below is a copy of the ad I wrote minus the price:
Bronco runs good, looks good, drives good and the 4wd works great. Has been well cared for. 302 V8, C6 auto trans, EFI, clean/clear title gets 14mpg in town (depending how you drive of course).
Very good tires (and spare), extra set of 4 chrome wheels with 2 tires, JVC CD player, electronic trailer brake controller, Firestone RideRite air bag overload spring (not installed).
New this year: K&M air cleaner, new battery, new rear brakes, new rear shocks, All U-Joints, Master Cylinder, Fuel Pump and more maintenance items.

Then the price and phone number.
The problem is I have had zero interest in the weeks it's been for sale.
What would this rig be worth in your opinion?
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First of all, it is either a 351 or a 302, not a 350 in a Ford. A Ford guy is going to see this and lose interest because you don't appear to know what you are selling.
Second, 14 mpg these days is going to make a lot of people hesitate, regardless of the vehicle.

It sounds like a nice vehicle but maybe you are way over priced for the market. How many people are in Caldwell ID?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nobody wants to buy it due to fuel prices. Chances are that Broncos will become about as popular as Pintos due to the ever-increasing cost of gasoline.

I bought my '78 for $1600, put a few thousand dollars into it, and sold it for $500 with no problems aside from a trashed driveshaft and being in need of a choke linkage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, it is either a 351 or a 302, not a 350 in a Ford. A Ford guy is going to see this and lose interest because you don't appear to know what you are selling.
Second, 14 mpg these days is going to make a lot of people hesitate, regardless of the vehicle.

It sounds like a nice vehicle but maybe you are way over priced for the market. How many people are in Caldwell ID?
Sh1t, you're right, I miss wrote it's a 302 and that's what I had posted on the ad (302). I have it listed in all of Boise area and sitting on a very busy street.
I know the price of fuel is high, sadly way too high, but with every SUV on the road the 14mpg isn't bad. I find it hard to believe that it's getting no interest. comparables in the area on CL are 1500+, but I can't be sure those are selling either.
It's just sad to me, we love Tumbleweed. Wish we didn't have to sell it. We will have another as soon as we can regardless of the price of fuel.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,819 Posts
Here's what my ad would read;

1987 XLT, 123,000 original miles, black ext, brick red int, both in great condition, brand new Ford crate 302, rebuilt AOD, new Dunlop 10.50 x 31 A/T's, new Summit injectors, new top end gaskets, new t-stat, new starter and solenoid, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, new Catco HiFlow and Dynomax turbo muffler, knock sensor, O2 sensor, Sunpro water temp gauge, Stewart Warner oil gauge, all new power window motors, original stereo with Punch speakers, a/c, p/s, new Warn Premium hubs, all fluids new and freshly lubed, newer 4 core radiator, chrome bumpers, new semi-gloss black paint on top, just smogged and registered, all lights functioning, everything works and absolutely no codes showing. $8,400.00 invested, asking..........................

Given todays market (even here in So Cal) I'd be hard pressed to get more than $2,300.00 for this thing----if that. It's just the way it is sometimes. That's why this truck will have to stay in the family for years---'cuz there's no way in hell I'll get anything close to what I've spent on her back.

Good luck.......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I got the answer I thought was right but was hoping I was wrong.
I had it up for 1200, I'll drop it to 1k and see what happens. The only saving grace here is when I'm going to replace it I can get a nice one for nothing.
Thanks all, I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
81 Posts
just depends...on what people wanna pay for it...your prob not gonna sell that in boise area...the only way you will is if someone wants a decent hunting rig...keep this in mind i bought a 85 xlt that is rust free other then surface rust that was not running for 800...i had money at the time and it was a good buy for me...now especially after i know compression is half what its supposed to be in 3 cylinders i would be pressed to pay 400 for it.....

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
I was going to post this in the selling forum but I need a 75 post count, not only that I'm not trying to sell it here. I just have a question of value.

I have an '87 f/s XLT, 302, C-6, runs/looks very good, 150k miles.

Below is a copy of the ad I wrote minus the price:
Bronco runs good, looks good, drives good and the 4wd works great. Has been well cared for. 302 V8, C6 auto trans, EFI, clean/clear title gets 14mpg in town (depending how you drive of course).
Very good tires (and spare), extra set of 4 chrome wheels with 2 tires, JVC CD player, electronic trailer brake controller, Firestone RideRite air bag overload spring (not installed).
New this year: K&M air cleaner, new battery, new rear brakes, new rear shocks, All U-Joints, Master Cylinder, Fuel Pump and more maintenance items.

Then the price and phone number.
The problem is I have had zero interest in the weeks it's been for sale.
What would this rig be worth in your opinion?
Thanks for any input.
Hi Bill

I'd add that you should correct the K&M to K&N to appear more professional.

Stick with the repairs, parts and good running part but save the 14 mpg admission and use it verbally when you get a nibble in the driveway (and throw in it's hwy mileage too)

Like the guys say it's a terrible time to be trying to offload a FS Bronco due to gas, hurricanes and speculators (Wall street gas speculating scum ruining the North American way of life forever).

Also, pay the money and stick it in Autotrader.com and/or other on-line advertisers to widen your potential buying area.

Best of luck

Sixlitre

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Newer trucks that get crappy gas mileage are going for less and still sitting on the lots. With gas prices the way they are, you're probably not going to get what you think the truck is worth.
:stupid

A new H2 gets that kind of mileage, if not worse. The difference, yours is 21 years old.

Dealers can't get rid of H2's now that gas is so high, and they're cutting the value on them in HALF... so if that gives you any kind of an idea of what your 21 year old truck is worth that gets low teens (and according to you, if you're lucky)...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Figured I would wait till after the long weekend to drop the price and glad I did, sold it for 1200 today. Guess I got lucky it sold at all the way things are. Actually had the guy who bought it looking at it when another guy drove up and wanted to know about it, kind of pushed it along. All in all, still made a decent profit.

I appreciate everyones input. Can't wait till my next one comes along, I'm sure it will be before the first of the year, bet I won't pay over $750 and it will be in better shape than what I sold mine for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
way 2 go Bill :thumbup

Sixlitre
Thanks Malcom,
I'll be hittin you up for ideas and help when I get another Bronco, soon I hope. I appreciate all the help you gave me with this one. I hope the next one will be as good a rig.
Moving this weekend, and so another adventure begins, man I'm getting too old for this.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
Thanks Malcom,
I'll be hittin you up for ideas and help when I get another Bronco, soon I hope. I appreciate all the help you gave me with this one. I hope the next one will be as good a rig.
Moving this weekend, and so another adventure begins, man I'm getting too old for this.
Good luck on the move Bill

Just finished painting the ceiling in the new (okay year old) garage out back. Ready for final inspection finally.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
166 Posts
Screw the gas prices. If it's nice rig price it accordingly minus 10%. We fellas that play with these toys know what a deal is. I wouldn't give it away. I'd have a world class paperweight in my garage to startup occasionally.

Besides, if gas was $50 a gallon, I'd save up for month to feel the rush of floor-boarding my Bronco flying down the highway. Just can't explain the rush it gives me. Obviously several others know the feeling or we wouldn't be reading this post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.