Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im having a problem with my 94 Bronco. I put a new starter in today and im still getting the ticking sound when I try to start it. It will not turn over, just ticks when I turn the key. The batt is holding a charge so I don't think that's it. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Clicking comes from either a dead battery, a bad connection to the battery, or the engine is locked up.

The click you hear is the starter engaging the flywheel - but not having enough juice to turn the engine. As long as the engine is good (not seized) you should be able to clean the battery terminals - and if that doesn't do the trick - clean the other ends of the battery cables - the ones on the solenoid & at the starter itself.

·
Super Moderator
23,882 Posts
Yo Rikkerblade,
Welcome!
  • Starter Motor Does Not Crank Engine
  • ➡ As advised; Loose or corroded battery cable connections.
  • Undercharged battery;
    battery that is fully charged produces 12.6 volts at rest with engine off & all lights and accessories off.
  • Malfunctioning starter relay.
  • Faulty starter motor ground circuit.
  • Malfunctioning starter motor.
  • Malfunctioning ignition/push-button switch
B1 CHECK CONNECTIONS AT BATTERIES
  • Inspect the battery terminals for loose or corroded connections.
Are battery connections clean and tight?
YesNo
GO to B2.CLEAN and TIGHTEN connections at batteries.
B2 CHECK BATTERIES
  • Check batteries. DONE⚠
Are the batteries OK?
Yes⚠No
GO to B3.CHARGE or REPLACE the batteries.
B3 STARTER RELAY FUNCTION
  • CAUTION: Make sure transmission is in neutral and parking brake is applied.
  • Connect remote starter switch between battery terminal at starter relay and starter relay S terminal.
  • Press remote starter switch button.
Does starter crank engine?
YesNo
If equipped with an automatic transmission, GO to B4. If equipped with a manual transmission, GO to B7.If relay does not click, GO to B9. If relay clicks, GO to B10.
B4 BATTERY FEED TO STARTER RELAY
  • With key in START position, check for battery voltage at starter relay S terminal (R/BL).
Is battery voltage present?
YesNo
GO to B9.GO to B5.
B5 BATTERY FEED FROM TRANSMISSION RANGE (TR) SENSOR OR PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION (PNP) SWITCH
  • With key in START position, check for battery voltage at TR sensor/PNP switch terminal (R/LB).
Is voltage present?
YesNo
REPAIR open in Circuit 32 (R/LB) between relay and sensor/switch.GO to B6.
B6 BATTERY FEED TO TRANSMISSION RANGE (TR) SENSOR OR PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION (PNP) SWITCH
  • With key in START position, check for battery voltage at TR sensor/PNP switch terminal (W/PK).
Is voltage present?
YesNo
CHECK TR sensor/PNP switch adjustment. REFER to Section 07-14A or Section 07-14B. REPLACE sensor/switch, if properly adjusted.REPAIR open in circuit between sensor/switch and starter relay.
B7 BATTERY FEED TO CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION SWITCH
  • With key in START position, check for battery voltage at CPP switch terminal (R/LB).
Is voltage present?
YesNo
GO to B8.REPAIR open in circuit between ignition switch and CPP switch.
B8 CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION (CPP) SWITCH CONTINUITY
  • With key in START position and clutch pedal pressed, check for battery voltage at CPP switch terminal (W/PK).
Is voltage present?
YesNo
REPAIR open in circuit between CPP switch and starter relay.REPLACE CPP switch.
B9 STARTER RELAY GROUND
  • Check for continuity between relay mounting bracket and clean chassis ground.
Is there continuity?
YesNo
REPLACE starter relay.CLEAN ground connection.
B10 BATTERY FEED TO STARTER SOLENOID
  • With key/push-button switch in start position, check for battery voltage at starter solenoid S terminal (R/BL).
Is battery voltage present?
YesNo
GO to B11.REPAIR open in Circuit 32 (R/BL) between relay and solenoid.
B11 STARTER SOLENOID
  • Check starter solenoid. Refer to Component Tests in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section.
Is starter solenoid OK?
YesNo
REMOVE starter and perform no-load test. REFER to Section 03-06A or Section 03-06B for removal procedure. REFER to Component Tests in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section for test procedure.REPLACE starter solenoid.

○■○
Ground Location, Frame from Battery pic in a 94 5.8;

"...Frame ground just inboard of the R spring tower. The black battery wire goes from the front bolt of the engine mount (on the block) to this tab & up to the battery post, where a smaller black wire goes to the core support, providing a continuous ground path between the engine, frame, battery, & body..."
Source: by CodysBigBlueBronco (how much $???)

Frame Ground location (Passenger side Cross member above
engine mount)

by jowens1126

Check other ground from Intake Manifold to Block Strap on passenger side, etc.

Inspect STARTER RELAY GROUND; relay located on PASSENGER FENDER LINER, near battery, see Starter Relay pic in a 95

Source: by Shane C. (BigBlue, bigbluebronk)
➡ Check for continuity between relay mounting bracket and clean chassis ground. Rust, grime, paint etc interferes with relay control circuit.

Pic by ElKabong
□●□

Find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ https://owner.ford.com; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example:
How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting.

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96), same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

See Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I cleaned everything up and checked all the grounds. Everything looks good. I took it in and had it put on the tester. Looks like the alternator is going bad and not charging the battery fully. The starter was dead, i guess it was the factory one and needed replacement. Thanks for everyone's ideas and recommendation. I learned a lot about my charging system and I'm better equipped for problems in the future. Once again. Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
715 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.
For those reading to see if they can solve there issue.
I had a similar issue it turned out to be a bad starter relay solenoid the one on the fender as pictured above. Had power going in from battery and key, it clicked, but no juice coming out the starter side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts