Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
I've been working on the Broncos.
My first question is what do you guys have for p/s pumps on your trucks, mines the big round one with the small spout. Others I have seen are the smaller ones with the large spout for filling it. I wanna know which ones the right one or which ones the better one. I have the smaller one in the garage.
Cuz I bought the hose and it wouldn't work(because my engine is from a 77 ltd, I think the pump is to) so then I had one custom made but its to short and they won't take it back.
My other question is does the hose even have to be rubber cuz its about a 5" space between the pump and gears. Can I just bend a piece of tube and flare it with some fittings?

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
The big round one with the small spout is the correct pump. The better one is the "canned ham" style that is flat and has a larger spout, but it's rare. As for the hose, yes you have to use a rubber. Your engine will flex on the rubber mounts and vibrate. The rubber stops the vibrations and allows for flex. You want your hose longer than you need so it won't be tight and can absorb the vibes.

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
I have the large round one with the small spout. The parts store show the other pump as the correct unit, however. Also, I drilled out the oulet on mine, make a difference at idle anyway.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Your 78 should have the round plastic reservoir with the large openeing and cap that you twist and pull. If the other one looks like the same size and design, but is metal and has a small dipstick style tube for filling and checking, then that came on early Broncos and early 70's cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts