Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my bronco today, stopped at a stop light, went to take off nothing happened. Gave her some gas and all she did was stall. Felt like tranny was stuck in reverse (when it stalled, it jumped backwards), but I hadn't put it in reverse all day. By the time it got to AAMCO, we could roll it (wouldn't move before). They said they would call me when they found the problem, but I was hoping that you guys could help soften the blow. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what kind of price am I looking at?

Oh yeah, the tranny's a M5OD. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yep

same thing happened to me...90 full size AOD tranny. 1700$ transmission relacement. Hope yours is somethin easy and cheap.

Recon!

·
College User
2,013 Posts
How do you have the m5od, did you swap it? yea the rebuild it 1500+ so good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, If the repairs do cost me that much, what are my options? I mean, what transmissions were offered with the 300 that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg? I have an old manual tranny from a '78 F250 sitting at home, would it bolt up? Otherwise, I might just roll this thing off of a cliff... but in its current condition I would have to be going backwards... nothing has been easy with this thing

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
ok first off do not I repeat do not let aamco fix your tranny they are the crapest place in the world and will rip you off. They warrenty is crap and they do shitty work. I would take it somewhere else maybe to some place that you deal with alot but I repeat do not let aamco fix your tranny.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, aamco was the only place i knew of in the area. Later I found another transmission shop right down the street. I had the guy at aamco put on paper that he would give me a free estimate and that if I decided not to get it fixed there, everything would be put back the way they found it (didn't want them giving it back in pieces). Trust me, if I had the time or the space to swap out a tranny, I would do it.

·
College User
2,013 Posts
You can put an e40d, which was the factory tranny, or the m5od which is in 97+ f-series trucks. Can prob get a rebuilt one from somebody for around 500$. Raf might still have his, or somebody else.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Broncomx said:
ok first off do not I repeat do not let aamco fix your tranny they are the crapest place in the world and will rip you off.
I was wondering if someone was gonna chime in with this...I thought "Hell no!" soon as I saw aamco's name....phuck aamco they screwed me too!:mad: Ask around, find a indipendant tranny shop that others around you have good experience with...and don't be suprised if signed paper or not, they find a way to try and charge you for something....:shrug

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
is the M5OD the mazda manual trans that kinda looks like a ZF?

if so, they do infact have many problems. my friend has one behind a 300 in his F-150. he lost some fowards gears, the place rebuild his entire trans, but the problem was just shifter forks/rails. make sure its not the shifter that is broken before they charge for an entire new trans.

and if its not the mazda, good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went to AAMCO this morning and they told me that the tranny was shot, clutch needs repaired, and the flywheel/pressure plate need resurfacing. Very pissed off, I towed it to a ford garage and they told me the same thing. Both said that it was going to be just short of $2000 to fix. I am starting to hate this Bronco.
:mad:

·
Registered
32 Posts
:shocked
another_ford stated "I am starting to hate this Bronco."
:twak :boxing

Isn't that blasphemy on this board? you might, maybe should be banned for comments such as that??
j/k
:D

·
Registered
196 Posts
tranny swap

Be wary of trying to swap the tranny.I had the same pos 5 speed in my 88 and swapped in a t18.I paid $300 for the tranny,bellhousing,slave,clutchmaster,shifters,floorpan,and 5.0 throttle body.Then I got an 11" clutch for $150.Resurfaced flywheel with spacer shim(normally $50 my cost)FREEBIE.Then I bought the front and rear driveshafts for an 88 Bronco with the C6(C6 and t18 are within 1 inch of each other in length)$150.Add in all new u-joints at $10 each.I had to make a custom tranny mount and modify the shifter so I wouldn't hit the dash when I put it in granny low or the center console when I put iy in reverse.I did all the labor myself with the benefit of having a shop to do it in.I also get a disount on all the parts.If you are unable to do the swap yourself,you are probably better off finding a shop that will swap in a used m50 for you.If that is the route you go make sure you get it from a reliable yard so you don't pay someone to install a bad tranny.Good luck.

·
Tastes Like Chicken
1,054 Posts
another_ford said:
[BI am starting to hate this Bronco.
:mad: [/B]
How much do you hate it? If you give it to me, I promise to kick it every day. I may even try to find some mountain goats to molest it, for a small fee.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, maybe "hate" was a bit strong. "annoyed" would probably fit better. But I still don't think that I'm going to get rid of it any time soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts