Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ignition switch is a little sloppy, but I'm not sure if it is causing the problem or not. I have a 94 5.0L. Occasionally, I put the key in and turn it to start, and everything dies, all lights inside the cab and the dinger slowly dies. If I sit and let it rest for a few minutes, occasionally it starts like nothing happened. Heres whats weird: when the lights are all dead in the cab, I can pop the hood and the little light under the hood is bright as can be. I know it doesn't take as much to power that light, but its still weird. The battery isnt dead, because quite a few times i've had the jumper cables ready to hook up and all the lights come back on in the bronco and it starts(without being jumped). Its almost like it loses all power from the firewall back (I'm just making up that assumption) Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! It's dead on the street as we speak....
Thanks

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
This is a fairly common problem here. What I would do if I was you.....check all the battery cables. Make sure they are clean and tight at all connections and terminals. Check all the terminal hardwear...sometimes it looks fine, but when you move it around you can tell its not tight at all. Check all the body and engine ground points.

What you could do to see if this is the right direction to go in is this.....take a jumper cable and put one end to the neg side of the battery and ground the other side to the engine.....then see if she starts any better.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
Second that. Definitely check your battery terminals. Have had this happen on occasion before I put new terminals on, I just had a small hammer in the pocket on my door, so whenever it would act up, I'd just pop the hood and give it a few *light* taps to move it around and break up the corrosion.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I 3rd the battery and ground connections.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Also remove all the wire eylets from the starter relay and put some sandpaper on them, clean them up to shiny metal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today my Bronc' died after fueling up. Did not have any symptoms of a weak battery earlier plus I made two prior stops prior to shuttin' er' down fer' fuel.
Had to get a jump at da pump and it was difficult to start. Got'er home, pulled the battery cables and threw a charger on it then surfed this site and found this post. Cleaned the battery terminals, cables. Fired right up after.
Just thought it would be a good idea to bring the original post to the forefront again, it helped me because I had the exact symptoms initially and thought it could be a bigger deal than what it was. Keep it simple!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The battery cable condition and how clean and tight the ground leads are it critical to almost all systems.....even more so on a EFI engine.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yeah, battery cables are lovely sometimes aren't they?

Not to hijack, but does the "antitheft" light actully do/mean anything? I know on GM's they do...

·
Broncoless
1,495 Posts
also if it doesnt work with the battery cables also check the electrical part of the ingnition switch down on the column(just a guess) cause you did say you switch was a little sloppy so that part might be worn out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts