Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 90 ford bronco with a 302 that doesnt want to start. it has fuel and spark, but doesnt want to fire and if it does, it dies instantly. i dont know if its flooding it's self out or if its just not getting enough spark. i gave it a tune up about 500 miles ago. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Need more info about when it tries to start. Vacuum leaks maybe?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
how many miles are on it? Did this problem happen suddenly or did it gradually get worse. Did you do any work on your bronco rescently, besides the tune up. What exactly do you consider a tune up, in other words, what exactly did you do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it happened once before, like 30 miles before it died last. i pulled the plugs and sand blasted them. it started but idled like crap. i did wires, cap, rotor and plugs about 500 miles ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, forgot some stuff. 62000 on the motor. the 2 vacume cans were rusted through and i replaced those. ive gone through all the vacume lines and no leaks that i know of. i have not done any work to it since i pulled the plugs.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
You sure you got the firing order right when you put the plugs and wires back on? sounds like you have it wired in the wrong order. As always, I think the first thing you need to do is pull the trouble codes. If you don't know how, just say so, and you can go to http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13
Then post what codes you get, and we can help you figure out whats wrong.

Good Luck
Old Yeller

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
check you fuel pump for proper ground i know it sounds stupid but pump will run even with a bad ground. found that out the hard way.:toothless

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Why didn't you replace the spark plugs? You messed around with your vacuum lines, huh. Double check them to make sure you hooked them up correctly or didn't forget something.

·
Banned
20,257 Posts
90' project said:
i have a 90 ford bronco with a 302 that doesnt want to start. it has fuel ...
How do you know? How much fuel pressure do you have at the fuel rail, and are the injector grounds pulsing? Is there fuel in the red vacuum line to the FPR?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i replaced the spark plugs and when i did i looked up the firing order in the mitchell manual. i have checked the psi @ the fuel rail and its 40 psi. i have sprayed ether in the throttle body, and still nothing. all the vacume lines are hooked up correctly.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Put a multimeter with either a sweeping needle or beeping continuity detector, or a test light on the GROUND wire of an injector. They fire ONLY when the computer GROUNDS them...they always have 12V when the key is on. Crank the truck and you should get very short intermittent needle movements, beeps, or flashes (depending on what you use) corresponding to the pulse width. That will confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt you are getting fuel into the cylinders.

However, it sounds like you're not getting spark since starting fluid is not provoking a response.

-Will

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Which firing order did you use? The one for the early 302 or the later 302. The firing order you want is:1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
90' project said:
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 is the order i got.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass...this time, but have you got the wires going counter clockwise? Did you get a volt meter and do any test procedures to see if everything is working the way they should? For example did you check your coil, resistance in your wires....did you check for any codes?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts