Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 86 EB, 302 FI, AOD.

I was replacing the fuel filter on Fri afternoon and after I finished, the bronco will not start,

I have checked the inertia switch, that's not it as I can hear the pumps working, etc. the only thing of interest, is that when i tried to relieve the pressure on the fule lines by opening the circuit on the inertia switch by lifting the tab, nothing happened....

with the switch hooked up, the pumps work etc, but when lifting the tab, nothing happens, I have reset it many times and still nothing..
do you think the switch could be bad,,?

I have replaced the relay switch, and have started the vehicle by jumping the posts with a screwdriver.

I have replaced the ignition switch, no luck there either,,,

I have Aux power, the buzzers and whistles come on and everything else works,,

I am honestly concerned, I have spent most of last night and all of today trying to figure this out....:banghead

could it be a short?,

if so where is the most likely place it could be?
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
Just how many threads do you need to start about the same problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waltman,

I do apologize,

Apparently I am one of the stupid people you refer to in your signature.

I assumed that maybe there were others on this forum that either looked only at certain threads, or maybe since I had ran the other possible problems to a reasonable solution, a new angle might be worth a try...

I am new to fords, looking forward to having a lot of fun with this one and was just trying to use this site along with the other refference materials I have to solve a problem...

Chem
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Hello all,

I have a 86 EB, 302 FI, AOD.

I was replacing the fuel filter on Fri afternoon and after I finished, the bronco will not start,

I have checked the inertia switch, that's not it as I can hear the pumps working, etc. the only thing of interest, is that when i tried to relieve the pressure on the fule lines by opening the circuit on the inertia switch by lifting the tab, nothing happened....

with the switch hooked up, the pumps work etc, but when lifting the tab, nothing happens, I have reset it many times and still nothing..
do you think the switch could be bad,,?

I have replaced the relay switch, and have started the vehicle by jumping the posts with a screwdriver.

I have replaced the ignition switch, no luck there either,,,

I have Aux power, the buzzers and whistles come on and everything else works,,

I am honestly concerned, I have spent most of last night and all of today trying to figure this out....:banghead

could it be a short?,

if so where is the most likely place it could be?

Chem

so it rolls over and the plugs are firing but there's no fuel ? Have you still got that second filter in the resevoir under the driver's frame rail ?

There is a schrader (bicycle tire) valve on the driver's fuel rail . Press it and see if there's gas squirting out.

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sixlitre,

I am not getting the thing to kick over via the key,, I have power

but when turning the key, the pump comes on, buzzers, etc. I get fuel, because the thing runs like a champ when i jump the relay,

it seems that something is preventing the signal to be sent/completed to engage the starte, via the key
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redwagon,

correct,

when i turn the key full forward,, nothing...

it will start by jumping the posts at the relay however...
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Redwagon,

correct,

when i turn the key full forward,, nothing...

it will start by jumping the posts at the relay however...
Heck

say no more !

That there is easy. It's just being an 86 on ya !

Get your head under the wheel and take a pick tool. Feel around for the rod that actuates the column mounted switch and use the tool to pull down on the rod, while you have the key turned on. Should go vrooom !

If'n that's it get back to me and I'll tell you what's wrong for sure

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Six,

I am pretty familiar with the underside of the dash as I started and ended my day there,,

are you reffering to the rod that goes from the ignition tumbler to teh ignition switch?

if so,

I have made sure this is connected to the new ignition switch, i have made sure the switch was installed in the off position and works when cycled from aux to off to run, etc..

is there another switch????
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Six,

I am pretty familiar with the underside of the dash as I started and ended my day there,,

are you reffering to the rod that goes from the ignition tumbler to teh ignition switch?

if so,

I have made sure this is connected to the new ignition switch, i have made sure the switch was installed in the off position and works when cycled from aux to off to run, etc..

is there another switch????

The problem is that rod is attached to a pot metal POS, made to fail actuator further up near the key in your column. That allows your tilt wheel to tilt. 10 to 1 it's busted like mine was.

Do like I say, turn on the key, reach down and pull that rod down to activate your column switch near the bottom of the column, she'll start alright.

Try it Chem

Sixlitre
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
:stupid

I would listen to what six is telling you. Take the steering wheel off and see if the actuator is broken. If everything else works, than process of elimination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Six,

when i turn the key the rod does move up and down,

is it just not going all the way?

I still have the column shroud off, can i take a pair of pliers and grab that rod and push it down,,,, this should do the same thing???
correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will go try it...

Chem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, i'm back,,,

no joy on the pliers and the rod....same results...
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
ok, i'm back,,,

no joy on the pliers and the rod....same results...
Did you have the key turned on at the same time ?

Also did you replace the column mounted ignition switch ?

Sixlitre
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
waltman said:
I would listen to what six is telling you. Take the steering wheel off and see if the actuator is broken. If everything else works, than process of elimination.
:banghead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Six,

yes, I had the key on and the column mounted ignition switch mounted on the column with the rod in the switch.

same result...
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,297 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Six,

yes, I had the key on and the column mounted ignition switch mounted on the column with the rod in the switch.

same result...
Yet it works when you jump it across the solenoid ? Maybe the solenoid ?

Sixlitre
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,843 Posts
do you have a test light? if so pull the wire of the solonied and attach the test light...have some one turn the key all the way and see if you are getting power to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Red,

yes i do have a test light,,,

I will try that,
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top