Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '79 (Bob) a year ago. I've been building it up ever since. Well, over the weekend I finally got it stable enough to start driving it. It had a pretty good knock in it that's consistent with engine RPM. I was running probably a 5W20 oil (it's what I had on the shelf) so I swapped to a 20W50 just to see if it'd help. I have no damn clue how many miles are on this motor. The new oil didn't help at all and the oil that came out is black as sin even after only being idled in the driveway and driven a total of maybe fifteen miles.

I have probably five grand into this truck at this point in time. It's basically ready to run (just need to build trans crossmember and install the Duff arms), but I REALLY don't have the energy to go through an engine build now, if that's the problem. My plan has been to build/install a 4BT, but after seeing how capable my Jeep is on these local trails it's been just as tempting to sell off the Bronco and just throw a 2" lift and 35s on the Jeep. I've been through almost every damn bolt on the Bronco, including pulling the motor to swap all the gaskets. I'd have done a quick rings/bearings swap at that point but was planning to just limp it along with the 351M until I figured out what motor I actually wanted.

If I do have to do the motor I'm looking at my constant problems with my courtesy lamp harness... not a single light in the dash works... temp guage doesn't work... heater core needs to be replaced... Duff arms need to be installed...

ugh. Make it stop. I'm tired of constantly wrenching on this mother :censored: and it's- and- GRR... :banghead

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've worked on it twice in the last month. I'm tired of constantly spending more and more money on it and not even getting to do anything with it yet.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
We all go through "I would like to set it on fire and watch it burn phase." if you don't have the patience for a old truck maybe a Jeep is for you or you should look for a turnkey Bronco. Mine was no cherry when I got it, but with some money well spent and some coaching from some guys on here on what to do and not do I can drive mine and be confident the it will drive to and from a destination without roadside stops for anything other than gas. If you are gonna continue on with it fix a problem all the way don't short cut it and eventually it will start being what you dreamed of. Good luck dude

·
ahhhh..... crap!!!
1,820 Posts
I've worked on it twice in the last month. I'm tired of constantly spending more and more money on it and not even getting to do anything with it yet.
I know this feeling...have been there before. a break is what you need - leave her alone and you will figure out what needs to be done in the order to make you happy. My current rig has been almost non-stop soince I bought her - and each day I try to spend atleast 30 min doing something, some days 6 hours.... Not because I have, but because I want to... I know what she will be like in the end - so evry little item done - no matter how small is another step towards not only being able to have fun with her, but show her off as well.....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Take a break and think on it a bit.

To get her running cheap look on CL for a running 351M or 400 to throw in there. No more than $350 bucks and make sure it is in the vehicle and running so you can hear and drive it first to make sure the motor is good. I don't trust people's, "it was runnin' good when I pulled it bull". Best to make sure it is in good shape if you want to drop it in and go.

The Duff arms are easy and you can bypass the heater core for now just to get the satisfaction of driving and enjoying.

The electrical.....I feel your pain man. I had the same the problems and can't offer much help because they started working on their own again. Fingers crossed/knock on wood it staYS THAT way.

Again, take a break and regroup. No sense in selling for a loss with a knocking motor.

Hope that helps,
Tyler

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
a bronco is a bronco that's all i can say there almost more there for the fun of working on them then really driving at least in my case. You can never replace that feeling when you get her all done and take her out for that first drive its all worth it in the end. But i can say i have been there may times its all just part of being a bronco owner. Great trucks would not trade mine for well really anything!

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem is, that "finally put back together and going for the first drive" that's supposed to be so rewarding only turned into more crap to fix.

A break will make me want to ditch it more. Being this close and yet so far from reliability, I'm going to tinker when I get time and hopefully slowly get some things resolved.

I know I wouldn't get nearly what I have in it and beyond that, I (and several buddies) have some SERIOUS hours invested in this thing. I'd hate to just throw it all away, but my Jeep (if I'd put it on 35s) would flat out handle 99% of my wheeling. The only real benefit to the Bronco is that I could thrash it as hard as I want without worrying about driving it to work the next day.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully tomorrow will see a properly tuned carburetor and adjusted timing, assuming I can get the distributor unseized from the block. If I can get it good enough maybe I'll try finding the exhaust leak to work on a resolution there. I'm actually under the impression that what I'm thinking is a knock could wind up being something dumb, like a crazy exhaust leak. We'll see what happens.

I was just really excited to be able to start driving it and all it's given me is a whole new series of complications to fight through.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The exhaust leak can definitely sound like a knock sometimes. Do you know where the leak is? I have one at my carb spacer/egr that sounds like a knock sometimes.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
Hang in there sunshine were pullin for ya.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no clue where the leak is. The EGR spacer is in place but disconnected from everything. Hmm... Now that I think about it... I wonder if I forgot to flip everything to block off the openings when I rebuilt the carburetor...

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
If your not using the egr then why not toss the spacer and just get a plain spacer?

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd love to but don't know where I can find one for the stock 2bbl that's as thick as the EGR.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, but those are all designed for Holleys- which one works with the Motorcraft unit?

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
Should be pretty much the same pattern our you could make one out of some phenolic or aluminum.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
5 grand and you can't drive it? You need to get the basic stuff done first. Get your motor running right before anything else.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today's WTF:

My carb is leaking at the throttle shaft.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
You have to face it with these rigs you will be always fixing or want to change something. I have put almost 3k into my rig in 6 months and right now its sitting in the driveway not drivable. But hey its my hobby and every weekend I'm wrenching on it.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
You have to face it with these rigs you will be always fixing or want to change something. I have put almost 3k into my rig in 6 months and right now its sitting in the driveway not drivable. But hey its my hobby and every weekend I'm wrenching on it.
exactly :thumbup if your looking for Jeep-gayness then this is the wrong vehicle for you. I have many friends with jeeps most have some serious hard dollars in there rigs and to me my old bronco is still so much cooler just saying who cares about a jeep with 35s anyway there a dime a dozen. Not hating on ya just saying

1 - 20 of 36 Posts