Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to tow a 4,400 lb trailer and was looking into buying a broncoair rear bumper with a hitch reciever. Has anyone done any towing with one of these and how much weight did you tow? I talked to Chris from Broncoair but he could not give me a good answer due to liability issues. Thanks. Luke

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just looking to see how much anyone has towed with it. If someone has towed more than I need it for with no problem than it will probably work fine for me.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Growing up my dad towed anything and everything with a 1984 Ranger 2.8 liter....on the BUMPER.

What that taught me is as long as you are smart, you don't need to follow the manufacturers limits. They are there for dumbasses who will sue. Dont sue, accept responsiblity if you **** someone elses car up, and you're fine. If you aren't used to towing heavy loads, get used to it before you tow a heavy load with something you aren't sure a ***** could tow it with.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
hidden hitch. I have been looking at after market back bumpers to match my Arb front and I'd be damned to find any with tow ratings. Bottom line is you can put a hidden hitch under your bumper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That hidden hitch might be the way to go. I was just trying to stay away from having anything lower than my bumper. I would hate to drop a grand on a bumper just to mess it up a week after I put it on.

·
Registered
710 Posts
what's wrong with a reece receiver hitch? They are not lower than your gas tank when installed...

My factory reece hitch is fine, you can't really see it, and it is higher than the tank, which is in turn higher than the rear pumpkin. Mine is a straight piece of square stock with plates on either end that bolt to the frame.

to each his own, but a stop by a junk yard will get you a ford factory hitch and then you don't have to worry.

And yeah, you can tow with a ranger... but you can't stop or turn. You are lucky you never had to stop or turn quickly, there is only so much you can do for driving safely and smartly, the rest is up to other people. Would you be fine if someone towing a 5k trailer with a ranger ran into your wife and kids? Just because a truck will tow something doesn't mean you should, there are other variables on the road than you and your safe driving.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
what's wrong with a reece receiver hitch? They are not lower than your gas tank when installed...

My factory reece hitch is fine, you can't really see it, and it is higher than the tank, which is in turn higher than the rear pumpkin. Mine is a straight piece of square stock with plates on either end that bolt to the frame.

to each his own, but a stop by a junk yard will get you a ford factory hitch and then you don't have to worry.

And yeah, you can tow with a ranger... but you can't stop or turn. You are lucky you never had to stop or turn quickly, there is only so much you can do for driving safely and smartly, the rest is up to other people. Would you be fine if someone towing a 5k trailer with a ranger ran into your wife and kids? Just because a truck will tow something doesn't mean you should, there are other variables on the road than you and your safe driving.
I am guessing you dont understand approach and departure angle?

·
Registered
710 Posts
well, only for serious offroading... But towing a 4k trailer on a bumper seems like a worse Idea than a crappy departure angle.

why are you such a smart allec red wagon?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
well, only for serious offroading... But towing a 4k trailer on a bumper seems like a worse Idea than a crappy departure angle.

why are you such a smart allec red wagon?
It was a simple question. nothing smart alec about it.

why are you so defensive?

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
I thoughr this was a flame free zone.? just saying.:popc1:
There is no flaming going on that i can see/read.

lamcd77
I would really get a frame mounted hitch if your going to tow anything. I tow with my bronco everyday And the only thing i would use that bumper ball for is moving the trailer in the yard (empty).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am gonna get a frame mounted one. I was just hoping this bumper would be able to do the job without the clearancce issues. I guess it is not a huge deal and it will be a lot cheaper not getting that bumper anyway.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Most of the after market bumpers out there have the receiver hitch there for accessories. Like those storage racks bike racks steps and the off-road kamode.

·
Registered
37 Posts
if you must tow a 4400# load look at the door sticker that will tell you just what you should be able to tow!
remember that tow capacity is what the truck or tow rig can stop, not what it can move only what the breaks will stop so hope i have help in some way?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts