Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
progress pics or you are lying!!!!
I know I know. Sorry. I am not lying I promise.:toothless The tire carrier is done. But I have not been to the shop in a couple days so I have not had the chance to take pics. We are going to be testing it on Thursday so I guarantee I have pics then. I will try to get some tomorrow though.

I can't wait to see the final pics of it. Looks great so far.
Thanks.:thumbup

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Chris, DUDE pics? progress? I have waited 2 years....I can wait another 2. Mike
Mike, I know. We are days away from the release. But you wouldn't want a product that didn't have all the kinks worked out. I just got back from the shop. The tire carrier is 100% done and tested so it's good to go. The bumper we are making a few small changes to make it perfect as well as strengthen the pivot point on the corner. As I have said numerous times we WILL NOT cut any corners in the design and fabrication of our products. Our bumper cost more than others because we spend the time to make them perfect. Only days until the official release. We basically just need to figure out final pricing. FYI the base bumper will be somewhere in the $650 range.

Today is Thursday!:popc1:
If I guarantee something I hold to it. I am uploading pics to my PC as we speak. I have over a dozen pics so I need to go through them and pic a few good ones to post. You guys can email me and I will send you more. I'll have them up in 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Ok. Here are the pics. It turned out awsome. I will explain some of the pics in a minute.

The first pic is self explanitory. Super beefy pivot point to minimize twisting and bouncing. We are adding even more steel to the bottom side to try to alleviate the twisting further. You can see that in the last pic.
We made the bumpe mounting system with 3/8" brackets instead of bolting the bumper direct to the frame. This way, if you somehow did bend the brackets, you would not bend the bumper brackets. All you would need to do is get new brackets.
Super heavy duty spindle setup and latching system. It is sealed from the weather and real strong. All the bearings, seals, etc. will come with the tire carrier option.
Super heavy duty latch with brackets and rubber mounting pads. Again all of this comes with the tire carrier option. No drilling is required. All holes are pre drilled for easy assembly.
Beefed up tire carrier with High-Lift mount. The tire carrier bracket is a bolt on to allow for large or small tires. You can see the slots in the actual tire carrier to adjust to your liking.
In a few of the pics it shows the bottom corners of the bumper. They are designed to reduce the chance for rocks catching the bumper and twisting it. And it protects the rear quarter as well as improving departure angles.
The little tab on the drivers side of the tire carrier is for an CB antenna.
Pic of the beefy pivot and the base of the High-Lift mount.
A couple pics of the back side and the different pieces of the bumper. Also the beefed up receiver hitch.
A pic of the extra steel we will be adding to strengthen the pivot point of the bumper.
The last pic is of all the hardware that comes with the tire carrier/High-Lift option. The tire carrier/High-Lift was designed so that you can remove the tire or the High-lift independently of eachother. I have seen rear bumpers where you need to remove one to get to the other and that is a PITA.
Prices are still being worked out. But the base bumper will be around $650. It will include bolts and mounting backets, the two light holes for two license plate lights. It will also include two license plate lights. Lastly it will come with the two D-Ring mounts. We will be selling compatible D-Rings on our site. Law only requires one light for a license plate so the other hole can be used for an air hose fitting. The receiver will be an option at a cost of somewhere in the $75-$125 range. The tire carrier will also be an option which will include the High-Lift mount, CB antenna mount, brackets, adjustable tire mount, bearings, seals, bolts, bushings, etc. Everything you need for the mounting and use of the tire carrier will be included. We don't have very good numbers for that yet as we did just finish it. But that will likely be in the $500-$700 range. Obviously we want to keep it as low as possible for you, the customer, but with all the material, time, welding design, brackets, bearins etc. the cost gets high quick. Black powdercoating will also be an option.

Lastly. GROUP BUY! Sometime next week we will start a group buy at which point you can start ordering. We don't like group buys much so this will likely be the only one we offer. So if you are in the market and want to save some good $$ get ready. We will work it as we have others in years past. A non refundable deposit will be required for an order. Each order will increase the amount of discount per bumper/tire carrier. We will also be offering a group buy discount for our front winch bumper and our OBA kits. When the group buy is over a final bill will be sent to everyone who ordered, at which time the remaining payment is due. The bumpers will begin the build process after the group buy is over. Typically it is a 4-6 week turnaround time. If we get alot of orders that could be up to 8 weeks. Since we will be offering discounts on our front as well you can save some money on shipping by ordering both and shipping both.

I think thats it. Post any questions or comments, or email me at [email protected].

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nice!!

Wish I had the money to buy one. I'll just build mine LOL.

Great fab work I'm sure yall will be covered up with orders for a while.

So do they fit the earlier 80s models?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
So do they fit the earlier 80s models
Oh yeah. We have not checked to see if they will fit the pre 87 models. But I don't think they will. We are going to investigate that over the next few weeks. But they will fit any 87-96 Ford Bronco or F150 F250 and F350. We will have the tire carrier option for either the five lug or 8 lug bolt pattern.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,781 Posts
I have mixed feelings about it now that it is all done.

Base bumper looks great, I love how license plate mount and lights are built into it. Trailer hitch is awesome too (I think it should be standard rather than a $ option). The styling on the bumper is down right sexy, contours the body and wraps around the side to add a little quarter panel protection. Beautiful!

I really like the tire carrier spindle/bearing thing, seems beefy as 100000 mad cows. The locking latch is pretty basic, but gets the job done. My favorite part about the tire carrier is the safety lock for when it is closes and open (never seen that before and it is pretty ingenious).

Now for what I dont like:
The tire carrier overall doesnt appeal to me. I dont like how the spare is centered on the tailgate (I would prefer it closer to the passenger side). Lastly, I would rather have the hi-lift mounted under the tire horizontally, rather that off to the side at a 45* angle. Just seems like an add on (although it wasnt).

All in all, this looks like a great bumper and I am torn on it.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
I have mixed feelings about it now that it is all done.

Base bumper looks great, I love how license plate mount and lights are built into it. Trailer hitch is awesome too (I think it should be standard rather than a $ option). The styling on the bumper is down right sexy, contours the body and wraps around the side to add a little quarter panel protection. Beautiful!

I really like the tire carrier spindle/bearing thing, seems beefy as 100000 mad cows. The locking latch is pretty basic, but gets the job done. My favorite part about the tire carrier is the safety lock for when it is closes and open (never seen that before and it is pretty ingenious).

Now for what I dont like:
The tire carrier overall doesnt appeal to me. I dont like how the spare is centered on the tailgate (I would prefer it closer to the passenger side). Lastly, I would rather have the hi-lift mounted under the tire horizontally, rather that off to the side at a 45* angle. Just seems like an add on (although it wasnt).

All in all, this looks like a great bumper and I am torn on it.
It looks like it tapers in right after the base of the tire mount, so they would have less room on the arm to work with if they moved it; I agree about the placement though.

As long as we're talking "'druthers", I'd like to see the swing bar extend to the far side of the bumper; that would allow the possible future addition of an extra fuel can. I really like the base bumper though. Even without a swing arm at all, it's a killer bumper. :thumbup

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
It looks good but i am not sure i like the tire being centered because it makes it harder to see out the rear window with a larger tire on it.

I dont like how the spare is centered on the tailgate (I would prefer it closer to the passenger side). Lastly, I would rather have the hi-lift mounted under the tire horizontally, rather that off to the side at a 45* angle. Just seems like an add on (although it wasnt).
Definatly understandable dislikes guys. There were two big things factoring in. First, by keeping it centered it allows the driver to see both to the back left and back right of the truck. You can still see out the rear but it is limited. The thinking was that you would have a huge blind spot to the rear side if your tire was offset to one side or the other. With the tire directly center you can see both rear angles as well as a decent view directly behind. The second factor was to allow room for the High-Lift mount as well as room for any other addons that we may come out with in the future, such as Jerry can mounts. As for the High-Lift being under the tire. If we did that it would limit the size tire you could carry as the tire would interfere with the High-Lift (or we would have had to jack the tire carrier up even higher into the rear view area.) The way we have it now it does not stick over the roof and is completly out of the way. Like many other things there was no perfect solution so we went with what made the most sense to us.

I'd like to see the swing bar extend to the far side of the bumper; that would allow the possible future addition of an extra fuel can. I really like the base bumper though. Even without a swing arm at all, it's a killer bumper. :thumbup
The reason for not doing that was to keep the cantilever shorter off the pivot point when the tire carrier is open. The stress on the pivot point is already substantial with a large tire and High-Lift jack. We even beefed up the area as best we could while keeping the bumper functional and cost effective, and there is still a bit of flex when the tire carrier is sitting open.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,781 Posts
Boulder, that is all understandable and practical. No matter where the tire is placed on the rear, there is always going to be a blind spot with a big 'ol off road tire. I was talking about the tire location more from an external point of view rather than a interior view. I dont know what Im really trying to say, its just bronco styling I guess.

Dont get me wrong, I love the bumper. I wasnt expecting it to be so expensive ($750 for base bumper with hitch and another $600+ for the carrier), but we will see what the group buy has to offer. Its not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hey chris, everything is looking great.

i have two questions

i know you siad you could order a 5 or an 8 bolt tire option, but would you be able to change thoses after the bumper is bought or is it one or the other?

and i know there are alot of liability issues so i wont take you answer to heart and i know it could be high or lower, but what would you feel confertable (wieght wise) towing with your hitch reasevable?

THanks
Danny:thumbup

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Chris, good looking bumper!
What is the strength of the latch? Will it stay closed in the event of hitting a bump/ rock? Can the latch be locked closed? What about using a similar spring pin that you used on the right side for the left? That way it is symmetrical and there is not a latch hanging off the side something a rock could grab onto.

Another concern would be placing a piece of metal angling it down from the HighLift base to the arm so a rock does not grab the base bending it up or pulling on the tire carrier.

As for beefing up the right corner/ pivot point, how about giving the exterior another metal wrap? That way the lip that is visible is protected from a rock to grab onto. And a dust cap for the pivot point to prevent water pooling up inside.

Mike

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
I like it but the only problem I can see being possible is that if you're running a big enough tire will it block the license plate. I know you said you tried to keep the tire low, but with a bigger tire on there will it hang down over where the license plate looks like it mounts to?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Boulder, that is all understandable and practical. No matter where the tire is placed on the rear, there is always going to be a blind spot with a big 'ol off road tire. I was talking about the tire location more from an external point of view rather than a interior view. I dont know what Im really trying to say, its just bronco styling I guess.

Dont get me wrong, I love the bumper. I wasnt expecting it to be so expensive ($750 for base bumper with hitch and another $600+ for the carrier), but we will see what the group buy has to offer. Its not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Yeah we were real concerned about a blind spot to the right. But your comment about "bronco styling" really got me thinking. I looked at the pics all night and couldn't get over it. It just doesn't look like a Bronco with it centered. So I think we are going to move it over a little. The hope is that we can move it over without completly blocking the right side. And it will have the good ol' Bronco styling.
It is expensive. But like you said you get what you pay for. It would be a little cheaper to just build something and call it good. But the testing, fitting, thinking, all that adds up to time and money to make necessary and important changes. Plus as I have mentioned before our craftsmanship is the absolute best around. Also the hardware that comes with the tire carrier is almost $100 worth of parts so that adds a good chunk to cost. Keep in mind prices are not final yet.

i know you siad you could order a 5 or an 8 bolt tire option, but would you be able to change thoses after the bumper is bought or is it one or the other?

and i know there are alot of liability issues so i wont take you answer to heart and i know it could be high or lower, but what would you feel confertable (wieght wise) towing with your hitch reasevable?
THanks
Danny:thumbup
First answer is yes. If you have a 5 bolt and later do an SAS you can order the 8 bolt from us and bolt it right on. One of the pictures shows the actual tire carrier bolted to the hoop. It allows for adjustment in depth as well as the option to swap it out for the 8 bolt pattern.

Unfortunatly there is alot of liability with the receiver. Thank the lawyers and stupid people who will sue you because they were morons. Anyway I can't really say without getting into liability issues. It is strong and I would say stronger than the stock bumper with tow ball, which I have towed some decent loads with. Basically you can see the structure we built and how the receiver is integrated into the bumper, so you need to make your on judgments. Sorry I can't go further than that.

Chris, good looking bumper!
What is the strength of the latch? Will it stay closed in the event of hitting a bump/ rock? Can the latch be locked closed? What about using a similar spring pin that you used on the right side for the left? That way it is symmetrical and there is not a latch hanging off the side something a rock could grab onto.

Another concern would be placing a piece of metal angling it down from the HighLift base to the arm so a rock does not grab the base bending it up or pulling on the tire carrier.

As for beefing up the right corner/ pivot point, how about giving the exterior another metal wrap? That way the lip that is visible is protected from a rock to grab onto. And a dust cap for the pivot point to prevent water pooling up inside.

Mike
That latch is quite strong. That is why we use it. If it did come loose the spring pin on the pivot point locks the tire carrier closed so it would not swing away. That can be seen in the picture of the pivot point. If we used a spring pin like the one at the pivot point, for a latch, it would rattle like crazy. The latch clamps the carrier down tight against the base bumper.

We don't think there is any way in hell a rock could get to the High-Lift base. I guess if you rolled it it could catch a rock. Even a vertical rock wall wouldn't hit it. It would scrape down the tire first.

The second to last pic shows the extra steel we will be adding. It will strengthen that side a bit more and make for more of a skid plate for rocks.

There is a dust cover for the pivot point. It is only shown in one picture but it's included.

I like it but the only problem I can see being possible is that if you're running a big enough tire will it block the license plate. I know you said you tried to keep the tire low, but with a bigger tire on there will it hang down over where the license plate looks like it mounts to?
Legitimate concern. That picture is taken from my height 6'2" so it's angled down a bit. So it is a little deceiving as to how far that tire (35") sticks down. With this setup a 40" tire will still allow the license plate to be visable. Also if we move the tire carrier to the right more as I mentioned under Stan's quote, that would allow for an even larger tire because it would be off center from the license plate.

Thanks for the thoughts and concerns guys. All good points. As you know we are willing to spend the time and money to make any changes so the bumper is perfect.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think it looks great bud. Then again, there is a point to the whole "bronco styling" idea. Also, you would benefit by having a shorter cantilever by moving the tire towards the passenger side, which would definitely help when it comes to stress on that pivot... Also, like already mentioned, the possibility of a rack later on would be great... Any idea on the cost to have front and rear powder coated at time of order?

Great craftmanship nonetheless, I am definitely excited to hear the details of the group buy. My full time position starts May 27 at which point bumpers are #1 on my list :)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Very nice. Great work guys. This is the first aesthetically attractive rear bumper I've seen for FSB's.

101 - 120 of 164 Posts