Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seriously though. In all reality, I didn't think it was that bad.

It doesn't look that bad.

Why does the value of Broncos have to be so low to insurance companies?

What are the chances I get forcefully sodomized by an uninsured Kia Sorento, in a place where insurance is required for that vehicle to exist?

My plight:

Earlier today I was rear ended on a military installation by an individual without insurance. The estimate of damages done to the rear bumper, passenger quarter panel, tire carrier, and lift gate with mostly pick-n-pull parts is 2800 bucks. This is in excess of 75% of the insurance company's estimate of it's overall value. I haven't been officially told, however it is likely to be totalled.

I love this rig to death. I have a few options. But they all kind of put me up shit creek financially.

Repair nothing. Make no claim. Live with it and slowly repair things as I go. Sure, this is doable. But due to certain near future life obligations, this will not be repaired anytime soon. I'm saving to buy a certain life-binding piece of jewelry and starting a fam. This is probably the most doable as I still have an operating vehicle that I simply can't get into the back of... ever. Eventually the bottom of the tailgate rusts out and the cabin becomes open to outside, and winters get a little colder in it. I'm still stuck with the less-than-4-week-old refinance for its equity.

Make the claim. I receive a check for 75% of the value, approx 3k. This will cover maybe 75% of the refi. I will be out a vehicle, have some debt from it still, and sad from no bronco. Nothing will quite fill this hole.

I could maybe buy it back with a salvaged title and it be of value to only me... ever. Man is it irritating to think of something that seems so small causing a salvaged title when in reality it hasn't structurally or functionally been weakened. Though... with what money will I buy it back? And then I'll still be left with a messed up rear end and more debt.

Go after the guy without insurance (which is going to happen regardless). Fight long and hard, spend money for court proceedings, and maybe get some of the money? (I don't actually know how this goes...)

And I still have to pay a deductible and hope the insurance company gets that from him and refunds it to me (according to the insurance company).

Seriously though... I'm at a loss and am wondering if I have other real world options. The variables:

1 - I have a loan on the vehicle for more than its value.
2 - I have to pay a deductible.
3 - I may or may not be out of a vehicle. (Pending totaled status)
4 - The servicemember is pretty screwed since to be on base with the vehicle it must be insured. However, lowly enlisted don't make any money and I'm not entirely sure how this helps my case.

I figure something I may try is if they decide it is total-able, see if that guy will make payments to me for the sum of fixing the damages and hope the parts are still available when the time comes. Even this I find hard to see happening since he has no incentive to do so, since insurance will do the same thing anyway so if he's feeling particularly bitter, he can just deal with that route and I still have a totaled vehicle.

Suggestions, opinions, things I'm not seeing because I'm moderately angry, rants, anything - feel welcome.

(I know, it doesn't look that bad. Tire carrier is stuck, bent up. Liftgate is obviously FUBAR'ed. Bumper is bent downward. Quarter panel is bent because of the carrier. Fortunately, the rear window didn't shatter, but it isn't moving anywhere. Also fortunately, my new tails didn't get damaged.)

Probably also worth mentioning to help with the pending flaming I think I might get for my possibly over-exaggerated experience:
This is my daily. I don't have another car.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Get a 3rd party appraisal.
I got rear ended back in October. My damage was a lot worse than what you have. They low balled me on the value even with the work I put into it.
First they said it was about 3k value. Than after the engine, tranny and diff receipts they offered 4k.
I got a 3rd party appraiser, so did the insurance company.
The 2 appraisers made their estimates.
Mine said about 14k
Theirs said 12k
So they both got together and agreed at 13k value.
So the insurance company called me up and said we are sending a check to have it repaired.
In the end it took 10k to repair my truck.
The frame was beyond safely repairing it. So it got a frame swap and the insurance had no issues paying it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To determine the value of the Bronco? Would an insurance company accept that?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
To determine the value of the Bronco? Would an insurance company accept that?
Yes.
Option 2
Would be to go all over eBay, Craigslist and any other car sales methods and print out the ads of Broncos similar to yours to despute the value of your vehicle.

I've done both options.
From my first bronco accident a little over 4 years ago, I went the ad route.
This second one I went the appraiser route.
You will have to pay for the appraiser. I paid about $300 for mine. It may vary where you are at.

If I was able to redo the 1st one, I'd go the appraiser route.
My appraiser used Broncos from the big auctions like mecum.... I spelled that wrong.... But he used the high dollar ones to compare mine to. Than took off certain x amount of dollars for anything that was in worse shape like interior condition.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
If the truck is in really good shape go the appraiser route. That being said, if that doesn't seem likely to work, first make shure that guy goes down shit creek without a paddle. Because karma is a bitch.
That said, I'm looking at the pics and wondering if I'm Missing something. Tailgate, tire carrier, rear bumper. Not hard fixes, all things you can do yourself provided the frame hasn't bent.
For all the parts looking at probably $500-800 from a self service junkyard (very rough estimate). $200-300 to get the tailgate painted. Around 1000 to get all this damage repaired if you do the work yourself. Again rough estimate. Still sucks but better than a salvage title or no Bronco.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... I got a 3rd party appraiser, so did the insurance company.
Is this going to hurt my standing with the company? I mean I'm not overly concerned with that at this point. Was there anything special you had to do to start that process, or just tell them straightforward that you are getting your own appraiser?

First they said it was about 3k value. Than after the engine, tranny and diff receipts they offered 4k.
9 months ago I had a lot of stock work done on the transmission, axles, hubs and differentials totaling what I think is a substantial amount. I have the receipts. Is that something to show them as well?

Mine said about 14k
Theirs said 12k
So they both got together and agreed at 13k value.
Do you think a mostly stock Bronco can fetch something like that? The body shop I went to yesterday was very impressed with the overall shape of the Bronco and said "except for the mileage, this is a grade A vehicle, B+ with the almost 200k". I like to believe it is in very good shape for it's year, just not show quality. I ask your opinion on this because I'm likely to go find an appraiser today, but I want to be a little more confident in doing so as I don't want to pay him a bunch and him say something like "Yeah... it's work 3k".

Also, is there some method to determining quality appraisers? I found a couple in the area, but am leery of the big company national one because of the company's large stature. It seems larger company's tend not to care quite as much as a smaller company would.

... if that doesn't seem likely to work, first make shure that guy goes down shit creek without a paddle. Because karma is a bitch.
Honestly he already did that on his own. His career, if not over, is in some serious shit. His command will not be very happy.

Tailgate, tire carrier, rear bumper. Not hard fixes, all things you can do yourself provided the frame hasn't bent.
I don't THINK the frame is bent. The body shop I went to, we spent 2 hrs researching junkyards, and this price to fix it is the best we could come up with for local junkyard searches. That pricing would save me labor, but not much on parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You could always go the route of finding a bronco someone is parting out on Craigslist and see how much they want for all the stuff you need.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's not the end of the world.

1. Let insurance pay you for it (do whatever you need to do to get the most out of them that you can)

2. Buy it back (likely for less than $500)

3. Put the money insurance gives you towards your note, and owe less on the vehicle.

4. Ditch the rear bumper and tire carrier for now. Find a decent used tailgate to swap onto it. Get it painted (when time/money allows). Build a custom bumper, or find a used stock bumper later on (you can get by for a while without a bumper or a tire carrier).

In the long run you would likely have wanted to upgrade the rear bumper anyway, and right now if you are seriously wanting to start a family reducing your debt is a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
From what I gather, you're not in any branch of the military. What were you doing on base? This can affect your legal options actually. Depending on your status with the base, there should be a legal office you can ask for advice. It's also a good way to get in contact with this service member's commander. He has the authority to order said service member to pay you out of his pocket for the damages, and the sooner you do this, the better. You may actually make things easier on the guy who hit you by doing this, since this may actually keep his career from being completely killed. This lets his commander know that you're willing to work with him and possibly save this kids career. Oh, and don't kid yourself, he gets paid more than you think. At the very least, they guy will be confined to base until his debt to you is paid, and then he may or may not be removed from his service branch.

The service member is getting what he deserves for 1. being stupid enough to drive uninsured in the first place, and 2, causing the accident. He's lucky it was your bronco he hit and not a pedestrian or something, which would definitely result in prison time. Don't waist any sympathy on him. I say that as someone who's seen way too many people make similar choices and whine about getting burned by it. His choices, his consequences.

Good luck. I hope you can get you ride fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Oh, and whatever you do, DO NOT LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY TOW YOUR BRONCO OFF YOUR PROPERTY! That will make thing exponentially more complicated and stressful.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I gather, you're not in any branch of the military.
Good. That's the impression I'd want to give considering the amount of heat in the area and increase in servicemember attacks and whatnot, if I were.

His choices, his consequences.
I agree, I don't hold much sympathy.

... DO NOT LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY TOW YOUR BRONCO OFF YOUR PROPERTY!
Thanks for this heads up, definitely good to know.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not the end of the world.

1. Let insurance pay you for it (do whatever you need to do to get the most out of them that you can)

2. Buy it back (likely for less than $500)

3. Put the money insurance gives you towards your note, and owe less on the vehicle.

4. Ditch the rear bumper and tire carrier for now. Find a decent used tailgate to swap onto it. Get it painted (when time/money allows). Build a custom bumper, or find a used stock bumper later on (you can get by for a while without a bumper or a tire carrier).

In the long run you would likely have wanted to upgrade the rear bumper anyway, and right now if you are seriously wanting to start a family reducing your debt is a good place to start.
I may consider this, but as one of my last options. Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
F

Is this going to hurt my standing with the company? I mean I'm not overly concerned with that at this point. Was there anything special you had to do to start that process, or just tell them straightforward that you are getting your own appraiser?
no just find a appraiser, give him the info of the insurance. Than he contacts them.

9 months ago I had a lot of stock work done on the transmission, axles, hubs and differentials totaling what I think is a substantial amount. I have the receipts. Is that something to show them as well?
good, yes that's stuff you need to give them copies of.

Do you think a mostly stock Bronco can fetch something like that? The body shop I went to yesterday was very impressed with the overall shape of the Bronco and said "except for the mileage, this is a grade A vehicle, B+ with the almost 200k". I like to believe it is in very good shape for it's year, just not show quality. I ask your opinion on this because I'm likely to go find an appraiser today, but I want to be a little more confident in doing so as I don't want to pay him a bunch and him say something like "Yeah... it's work 3k".
yes yours can be values more than 3k. My appraiser compared my bronco to stock ones with out lifts than made adjustments from there. If your entire brono has never been repainted and is a stock color that will raise the value right off the bat.

Also, is there some method to determining quality appraisers? I found a couple in the area, but am leery of the big company national one because of the company's large stature. It seems larger company's tend not to care quite as much as a smaller company would.

Not sure on that. I got mine from the internet searching for a appraiser. The guy I used covered most of Florida and does out of state appraisals as well.

Honestly he already did that on his own. His career, if not over, is in some serious shit. His command will not be very happy.

I don't THINK the frame is bent. The body shop I went to, we spent 2 hrs researching junkyards, and this price to fix it is the best we could come up with for local junkyard searches. That pricing would save me labor, but not much on parts.
Take some pics from under the back area.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Impact said:
Go after the guy without insurance (which is going to happen regardless). Fight long and hard, spend money for court proceedings, and maybe get some of the money? (I don't actually know how this goes...)
I've been down this road in small claims court. Don't know if it's different in the military, but, I had to have a "letter of intent" sent certified mail, notified them of action in separate letter, had them served, showed up to court, presented my case, and judge ruled in my favor. I received a judgment for the amount I was requesting. Person didn't pay. Had to shell out more money to have a lien put on their accounts. They changed accounts, repeatedly. It was costing too much to track them. Gave up on getting my money back. Every expense was mine and the person got off without shelling out a dime after moving out of country. I was out my dream car, $5k in judgments, and exorbitant amounts of personal time and money invested.

This route = not worth it.

Eric

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,680 Posts
When I totaled my HoG, I went down to a reputable shop where I knew the owner and had him write up an appraisal for me. :shrug

·
LOG TRUCKIN'
1,804 Posts
get in contact with this service member's commander. He has the authority to order said service member to pay you out of his pocket for the damages, and the sooner you do this, the better. You may actually make things easier on the guy who hit you by doing this, since this may actually keep his career from being completely killed. This lets his commander know that you're willing to work with him and possibly save this kids career. Oh, and don't kid yourself, he gets paid more than you think. At the very least, they guy will be confined to base until his debt to you is paid, and then he may or may not be removed from his service branch.

The service member is getting what he deserves for 1. being stupid enough to drive uninsured in the first place, and 2, causing the accident. He's lucky it was your bronco he hit and not a pedestrian or something, which would definitely result in prison time. Don't waist any sympathy on him. I say that as someone who's seen way too many people make similar choices and whine about getting burned by it. His choices, his consequences.
This, period, will be your BEST course of action.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did end up going with contacting him and his command. He can only pay me across six months starting in September. I guess I'm going to have a jacked up rear end for a while. Trying to get paperwork written up for this agreement with him and made sure his command is aware.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I did end up going with contacting him and his command. He can only pay me across six months starting in September. I guess I'm going to have a jacked up rear end for a while. Trying to get paperwork written up for this agreement with him and made sure his command is aware.
Definitely make his command aware. That way, he can't weasel out of it by getting deployed or PCSed.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I've been down this road in small claims court. Don't know if it's different in the military, but, I had to have a "letter of intent" sent certified mail, notified them of action in separate letter, had them served, showed up to court, presented my case, and judge ruled in my favor. I received a judgment for the amount I was requesting. Person didn't pay. Had to shell out more money to have a lien put on their accounts. They changed accounts, repeatedly. It was costing too much to track them. Gave up on getting my money back. Every expense was mine and the person got off without shelling out a dime after moving out of country. I was out my dream car, $5k in judgments, and exorbitant amounts of personal time and money invested.

This route = not worth it.

Eric
To describe what it's like in the military, there is no "court" unless the commander REALLY wants to screw said service member over. (See Article 15, aka, court marshal) There is just his commander, who has the authority to order him to pay out whatever is needed to pay for damages, or a new vehicle. If you can work out a deal with said commander, and they almost always will, then it becomes just as legally binding as if ordered by a judge. Even more so, since failing to pay can result in prison time and eventually, dishonorable discharge. (Failure to obey direct order.) The actual process varies slightly between the services, but the end results are the same.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts