Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The build pictures are only half there. My camera crashed after half the build up. Sorry guys. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask..
1986 Ford F250, 302 FI , T-18 4spd trans.
Looked like this when i bought it about 4 months ago...
danielle 187.jpg
Build parts-
88 Ford dana 60 High Pinion KP axle(thanks superjunk)
Sky 91.5-97 F350 reverse shackle kit(5")
Sky High steer crossover kit
New rotors, pads etc..
Wheel bearings, races, seals,axle joints
4.56 gears & install kit (will swap in soon)
u-bolt flip

I ended up using 1/4" channel to box the frame rail. Then once that was welded in place, took 3/16" steel to cover the space that the other plate missed. Made it look nicer. I still have the steering to set-up as i am waiting for parts to come. I had to notch the pumpkin so the u-bolts would fit. but heres what I have gotten all done. The engine lift is there just because it was raining and i didnt want to take it off. The FULL weight is on the truck.
hanks sas 001.jpg
hanks sas 002.jpg
hanks sas 003.jpg
hanks sas 004.jpg
hanks sas 005.jpg
hanks sas 006.jpg

more pics to come......:thumbup

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres some close up of the frame box, as well as my bumper, and the rear dana 60 im in the process of building...
hanks sas 007.jpg

hanks sas 008.jpg

hanks sas 009.jpg

hanks sas 010.jpg

hanks sas 011.jpg

hanks sas 012.jpg

hanks sas 013.jpg

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heres the shackle angle, some more close up shots, and a view from the side....
hanks sas 014.jpg

hanks sas 015.jpg

hanks sas 016.jpg

hanks sas 017.jpg

hanks sas 018.jpg

hanks sas 019.jpg

hanks sas 020.jpg

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres all the tools that made this a hell of a lot easier, still got alot more parts to swap in...
hanks sas 021.jpg
hanks sas 022.jpg
hanks sas 023.jpg

Now the biggest question... Do i go 38.5 tsl's or 39.5 boggers. Kinda in a halt for that. As far as the rear lift, im gettin rid of the blocks i put in their(just a mock-up) and putting 8" rear springs to give about 3" more lift in the back than the front. Total lift ends up being FRONT- 6"spring, 5"reverse shackle, 3" body.. Rear lift will be 8" spring, 4.5" reverse shackle, 3" body...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once everything is done, ill weld the front sky bracket to the frame. It just bolted at the moment. I want to make sure everything is perfect as i still have alot of work to do, and i work WAY too much. Saturdays and Sundays are just too far away...:banghead

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, i just have to rotate the axle back about 1/2" or so when i get the u-bolts on there. I gotta grind that nut down a little bit so the u bolt plates fit flat...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I did the same setup as you with the sky shackle flip....i did the 3" shackle reversal, with a 3" body lift and rear 57" springs up front....I am 10.5" over the stock F-250 and i clear 42x15x15 on 15x10 wheels with 2.5" backspacing just fine. When it comes to flexing it out tho is where i need to cut just a little bit on the back side of the fender....I sure hope those springs settle in a little bit to give you a better shackle angle

·
Registered
539 Posts
Here is a pic of mine...i also did the u-bolt flip and made new spring plates. I also did the crossover steering.

I like how high your truck sits....it looks good. I would go for a taller tire like a 42, but with your gears i would say around a 38 for power....i run 4.11's for now with the 460. Soon to be swapping in the doubler and after that re-gearing. Keep up the good work

·
BeastfaB
1,114 Posts
You might want to look at Toy Keepers SAS thread for a possible soulution to that shackle angle. He combined the body mount and the hanger into one peice. Other than that it looks pretty good. :beer

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
Are those bolts on the front xmember sleeved so they cant crush both sides of each frame rail together when torqued down?
Also as others have mentioned that shackle angle is reverse of what it should be.

What tire ya plan on runnin when done?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey thanks for all the support guys.. The bolts supplied with the kit werent solid all the way through the frame except for the hole where the stock shackle went in the front. I got some grade 8 1/2" 4" long bolts and ran them straight through the front shackle from the outside of the frame to the inside and have a 1.5" sleve on the inside part of the frame between the two sides of it so it wont crush in...hopefully. Im hoping that when i get the u-bolts on there and the axle rotates upwards a little bit that shackle angle improves as well as my pinion angle. I still have to redo to the stock trans member so my driveshaft will clear it. I get pics up once i start it this weekend...

As far as tires go. This is also how i get my quad to and from the trails, so im complimplating tires as we speak. I want 39.5" boggers, but ill be lucky to get 6k road miles, but the 38.5" tsl would probly be better suited. but there just not big enough(width wise). I might just spring for the boggers and keep the 36.5"s i have now for the ride to go ride my quad....

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
You need to move that bracket forward like 2-3", youll never get the angle right otherwise. Tightening down the ubolts wont affect shackle angle more than maybe a degree or two, and yours is off by like 60º

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to move that bracket forward like 2-3", youll never get the angle right otherwise. Tightening down the ubolts wont affect shackle angle more than maybe a degree or two, and yours is off by like 60º
yea i know. Im gonna end up waiting for a bit after the rears built and ive driven it a bit. I got the front leaf springs about a month ago. Havent really broken them in yet. I wonder if there going to stretch or settle enough to make the angle correct. :shrug I hope so. Only time will tell....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Would you consider using different leaf springs to help with the shackle angle? The leaf springs out of 90's E350 measure 23.88/31 vs 23.88/28.38 for F250 springs.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would you consider using different leaf springs to help with the shackle angle? The leaf springs out of 90's E350 measure 23.88/31 vs 23.88/28.38 for F250 springs.
Thats something ill look into if these springs dont set a tid bit once wore in. thanks for the info.

As far as my trans member, heres a little paint idea which i will be doing. Currently the x member sits on the bottom frame rail on both sides with a small loop for the driveshaft.
The plans are to cut the loop off and use 1/4" plate to go to the top of the top frame rail. Ill gusset the angle on the side by the trans, and under the top plate.This will make it so the driveshaft can have plently of room to move without worry of hitting the x-member... Any ideas of suggestions???
edit: Ill post pics when i get home, my work computer is slow as chit...

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
yea i know. Im gonna end up waiting for a bit after the rears built and ive driven it a bit. I got the front leaf springs about a month ago. Havent really broken them in yet. I wonder if there going to stretch or settle enough to make the angle correct. :shrug I hope so. Only time will tell....
Sorry to say but it aint gonna fix itself.

I wouldnt even drive it like that. Hit a bump wrong and the shackle could flip up and bend the spring. Plus itll definitely ride like crap. Just fix it now and get it over with.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to say but it aint gonna fix itself.

I wouldnt even drive it like that. Hit a bump wrong and the shackle could flip up and bend the spring. Plus itll definitely ride like crap. Just fix it now and get it over with.
how much will the spring set ya think. i may cut the perch off and move it 2" forward. not sure yet...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey, heres the set-up for the trans member iwas talkin about...

untitled.JPG

1 - 20 of 161 Posts