Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we need another SAS thread like we need another roman thread, but I brought these bad boys home a couple weeks ago and my GF just doesnt appreciate them like I figure you guys will. She doesnt understand why I spend an hour in my garage everyday even if I am not working on the Bronco and really doesnt get it when I tell her I am spending some time bonding with my new axles.....

Anyways, I thought I woud post up a few pics of what I brought home along with some initial thoughts on my build etc etc and may update it as it comes along if I see fit.

So here goes.....

D60 out of a 94 F350. The axle outters are pretty much rebuilt. The rotors are used and it does not have calipers, pads or hub locks. Other than that, its good to go. My plans for the axle itself are to pull the hubs and have them turned, purchase new calipers, pads and hub locks. Then, I plan to strip the paint, rust bullet it and either herculine or paint it.

Here she is just waitin:

Lil Closer

Outter - All Spicer

Close up of the dif:

Here is the 60s partner in crime - Sterling (this thing is gianormus)

The sterling is gonna get the wire brush, rust bullet and herculiner/paint as well. I think I am gonna probly rebuild the drums on it for now and maybe look into a disc conversion in the distant future.

Here are the pair:

I picked them both up for $1200.00. Not too bad I dont think. Both appear to be in great shape and a lot of work has been done to the 60 already.

I have not set my plans 100% in stone yet, but after doing some reading and researching my tentative plans are:

Re-gear to somewhere in the 500s meaning probly a 5:19 or 5:38 (depending on availability).

Match em up with a set up 38-40 inch tires.

Keep the lift as low as possible. I am running a 4 inch now and thats fine with me. I am sure more will be required but the lower the better. I will cut fenders as neccesary to fit the tires.

Sterling is a pretty straight forward swap but if I need more lift, I will probly either go shackle flip or just say F it and get some new rear springs. The current rear springs are a 4 inch pack that came with my pro comp lift, which I like quite a bit. If I can keep and use those great, if not I will sell them with the lift when it comes out.

D60 - Thinking I am gonna go leaf sprung on that. Its how it was set up on the truck and from what I have read, is a nice way to run them on our Broncos. I have not decided what leafs to run (any suggestions??) yet. I have a good idea of the steps and work needed to run it this way and like the simpler mechanical aspect of running leafs over springs.....

So thats about it for now. D60 leaf sprung front, Sterling rear, geared at around 5:38ish with 38-40 inch x 14 tires mounted on 16x10 wheels and trimmed fenders.

Thoughts, feedback, suggestions??? The purchase crushed my bank account so this probly isnt going to happen for another year, year and a half so lots of time to read and research.

Thanks guys.... hope you all didnt nod off reading the bazzilionth SAS thread on FSB!!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yeah I was suprised at how big that sterling is! It's huge! I just set one under my 80 f-250.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was suprised at how big that sterling is! It's huge! I just set one under my 80 f-250.
Its no joke for sure. Me and a friend unloaded those beasts by hand out of a friends truck. It was not easy.....

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Damn those are clean. Just tell the Girl friend youll buy her something and she leave you alone. Thats what i did

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Ouch we had an engine hoist when we loaded my dana 60 and sterling. Then we just lifted the 9 inch and dana 44 on top of them. I unloaded all of them myself using an engine hoist.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Freakin sweet! 52" rear Blazer leaves are cheap, common, and will give you 4-6" of lift up front depending on how you mount them. They've soft, though. Since that axle has 36" spacing, you could maybe move the rear spring mount up a bit to get less height.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freakin sweet! 52" rear Blazer leaves are cheap, common, and will give you 4-6" of lift up front depending on how you mount them. They've soft, though. Since that axle has 36" spacing, you could maybe move the rear spring mount up a bit to get less height.
Thanks project 86. I had read about the blazer springs, and have read they are soft. It dont mind soft but dont want sloppy type soft. This thing is still gonna be my main mode of transportation so I gotta consider the on road characteristics as well.... and thanks for the tip on the spring mount as well.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
actually, ive been hearing a lot of blazer guys using 56s up front now...and even some 60somethings as well.

cant got wrong with 52s thou.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i wouldn't bother repainting that 60. it looks perfect from the pics. my advice for the sterling is to have it sand blasted. i didn't and spent WAY too much time getting it as clean as i wanted it to be. it would have only been 40$ to get it blasted and that's very worth it. make sure the yoke on the sterling matches the gears you get. ditch the factory shock mounts. there's nothing like the peace of mind that comes with a D60.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually, ive been hearing a lot of blazer guys using 56s up front now...and even some 60somethings as well.cant got wrong with 52s thou.
Manumpi: Are they just not getting the articulation out of the 52 they want or what? Seems like 56s and 60s would really a long spring with possible mounting issues. Any other suggestions on springs to research as in brands, lengths etc? Anyone know of limitations lengthwise and such to consider?

i wouldn't bother repainting that 60. it looks perfect from the pics. my advice for the sterling is to have it sand blasted. i didn't and spent WAY too much time getting it as clean as i wanted it to be. it would have only been 40$ to get it blasted and that's very worth it. make sure the yoke on the sterling matches the gears you get. ditch the factory shock mounts. there's nothing like the peace of mind that comes with a D60.
jam0o0 - I was considering the repaint on the 60 only so I could rust bullet it. Thanks for the advice on the sand blasting. That sounds like a good idea and for 40 bucks, if I can save 2-3 hours, it would be worth it. Now I just have to figure out how the crap to get it back into the truck :doh0715:
I need to keep my eyes on the CL and pick up an engine hoist. Oh, and I agree with your last sentence 100%. Thats the only reason I went 60 over 44. I just like the idea of knowing if I need to get on the skinny pedal when on a trail, I can do it without worrying much about breaking something. I had a 44 and decided to sell it and go with the 60.... I figure by the time I get done beefing the 44 up, it would be close enough to the cost of the 60 to justify spending the $$ on the 60 up front. Plus, I can make the 60 stronger as time goes on... if needed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Manumpi: Are they just not getting the articulation out of the 52 they want or what? Seems like 56s and 60s would really a long spring with possible mounting issues. Any other suggestions on springs to research as in brands, lengths etc? Anyone know of limitations lengthwise and such to consider?
Wasn't directed at me, but I'll add my .02 anyway-- articulation with the 52" springs is as much as my 14" travel shocks and tire clearance can handle. I have bumpstops to leave about 1/2" of shock left at compression, and the springs will droop far enough to hit the extension stops on the shocks. The springs flexed so well I bent a main leaf after a couple of good trips and had to add an additional second leaf.

Anything longer than a 52 will require extending the front of the frame a bit-- I moved the axle 1 1/2" forward from stock and the front eye is about 1" off the front of the frame.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Project86. I dont know that I want to extend the frame out too much. Sounds like it would create some potential problems with frame strength etc. Also sounds (and looks from your avatar) that 52s do quiet a nice job.... oh, and I like feedback from everyone so you dont have to worry about answering any questions whether they are directed at you or not! :beer

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Wasn't directed at me, but I'll add my .02 anyway-- articulation with the 52" springs is as much as my 14" travel shocks and tire clearance can handle. I have bumpstops to leave about 1/2" of shock left at compression, and the springs will droop far enough to hit the extension stops on the shocks. The springs flexed so well I bent a main leaf after a couple of good trips and had to add an additional second leaf.

Anything longer than a 52 will require extending the front of the frame a bit-- I moved the axle 1 1/2" forward from stock and the front eye is about 1" off the front of the frame.
How have your leaf spring bushings been holding up?

·
Registered
339 Posts
How have your leaf spring bushings been holding up?
Spiffy so far-- I used Energy poly bushings, even though I've heard good and bad. Put them through water crossings, snow and dust with no squeaks or splits. The stock rubber ones on my used springs were trashed.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
some guys just want more flex i guess. I saw a blazer running either 57 fords or 56 chevys up front that could almost put the axle sideways. But he said the main leafs were screwed after 3-4 runs. Do some searches on ck5.com and youll see what im talking about.

And yes, the longer springs would require some creative frame mounting. running a 57/56" spring wouldn't be a huge pain. I think the chevy guys do it with a long shackle. Something bigger than that would mean being really creative. Of course the chevy springs might have the center pin offset or something. Im really not sure on the particulars i just started researching it myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts