Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Well, its probly not good... need more info. Miles on tranny, how long between changes? Tranny acting weird? Cooler/filter?? Etc etc etc....

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Brown is bad regardless of anything.

It probably means you have water in it. As you add water to oil it goes from black to brown to white. If you have had water in the tranny, you've seriously damaged it. This applies to engine, most manual transmission, and gear oils.

I just checked your specs...your fluid is supposed to be red. IDK if enough water and the subsequent damage could make the fluid brown or what, but your tranny has taken a huge hit. Until you tell us more, we can't really give you anything concrete, but I'd get ready to have to replace the tranny soon.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, its probly not good... need more info. Miles on tranny, how long between changes? Tranny acting weird? Cooler/filter?? Etc etc etc....
sorry sorry should have included that its an e4od its got about 144k.. if anything i have recognized higher rpms after bigger tires (i know im working on getting lower gears) so i guess slippage and also i dont know if this is the tranny but sometimes when i accelerate from a dead stop it seems like it "kicks" or surges or somthing, no cooler and no filter.. (working on that too)
thanks for the help

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
sorry sorry should have included that its an e4od its got about 144k.. if anything i have recognized higher rpms after bigger tires (i know im working on getting lower gears) so i guess slippage and also i dont know if this is the tranny but sometimes when i accelerate from a dead stop it seems like it "kicks" or surges or somthing, no cooler and no filter.. (working on that too)
thanks for the help

It's not a good thing, but since you didn't state when the last change was, I'm betting it's been some time...like more than 50k, and tranny fluid does tend to go from a red to a brown/red with that kinda mileage (metal shaving buildup and fluid breakdown). If it's a darker brown and thicker, you may have somehow got some fluid contamination (water in tranny).

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Is it dark brown or light brown like chocolate milk? Have you done anything lately that would allow water in (river crossings, pressure wash etc?)

My guess is that the fluid is WAY past due for a change and because it does not have a filter or cooler on it, it is probably not giving much protection at all. There may or may not be damage at this point. You could try changing the fluid and filter and adding the cooler and external filer and then monitor the fluid condition and see what happens... although some schools of thought say that sudden changes in tranny fluid can do more damage than good. Even still, it sounds like your more damned if you dont than if you do, so I would make the move and do it soon (at least get new fluid and an internal filter in there while you are working on getting your cooler and filter hooked up). And dont forget to get a tranny temp gauge hooked up ASAP to so you know what that thing is doing temp wise. I would grab one while picking up the new fluid and internal filter.....

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
drain the pan/ tc. Put in a new internal trans filter.

Buy a big 11x7x1.5 or 11x11x1.5 trans cooler

Buy a remote filter

Put in new dex/merc, I think advanced auto had 1 gallon jugs for $7-8 ea. Thats what I use, its a copy of valvoline.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
brown is the stock color of the auto trans fluid in hyundais
:histerica:histerica:histerica Stupid plastic MPGs

Need to jump on that cooler and filter as soon as possible everyone else covered everything else i would say

·
Registered
121 Posts
drain the pan/ tc. Put in a new internal trans filter.

Buy a big 11x7x1.5 or 11x11x1.5 trans cooler

Buy a remote filter

Put in new dex/merc, I think advanced auto had 1 gallon jugs for $7-8 ea. Thats what I use, its a copy of valvoline.
I thought you were to only use Mecron and nobody mentioned draining the converter.
I have found it much easier and less time consuming to take it somewhere
that flushes them.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I thought you were to only use Mecron and nobody mentioned draining the converter.
I have found it much easier and less time consuming to take it somewhere
that flushes them.
Not to mention that you get a lot more clean fluid in the trans after a flush.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
a flush can aggravate chunks of clutches/ disks etc....

draining it like i mentioned before is a bit easier on it and a little cheaper
I would not do the flushing unless there was a known issue like water.

If it's old and dirty then that's what it is. Drain, including TC, new internal filter, clean pan and magnet, and at the very least get an external cooler setup.

You then need to just watch it for a few months. Needs to stay nice and red.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I would install the inline filter and cooler first. Then keep changing the filter on a regular basis. like the first day, then 3 days later then weekly will the fluid is clean and then change the fluid. but that is just me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow alright appreciate it guys do i have to go to summit for filters and stuff or what is there any places like autozone that can take care of me?

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Search for transmission filter or transmission cooler.... there are a few really good threads and Fireguy50 did a great write up including part numbers etc for what you will need to do the tranny filter/cooler/gauge. You can get the fluid and internal filter from about any parts store (I would probly try to stay away from Autozone, personal preference).

If you go with imlikeojnow's suggestion on changing out the filters, you are going to need to pick up 4 or 5 of them, so keep that in mind when budgeting.

Also, and this may sound sort of weird, but you may not want to drive that Bronco until you have preformed this maintanence on it, or at least keep your driving the the absolute minimum.... the more you drive, the more you damage.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I'm starting to wonder whether your torque converter is still locking if you're seeing higher engine speed. Can you pull codes from the PCM and post what you find?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts