Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen people attach lights to a brush guard but has anyone ever tried to attach a winch to one? Some brush guards DO attach to the frame and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to beef them up a little to be able to mount a winch to one.

Anyone?

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
There are a couple guys with winches mounted behind stock bumpers but they reinforced everything. For the most part custom bumpers are the way to go for permanently mounting a winch. You could do a front receiver hitch with a winch on a hitch.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gacknar said:
Warn and Ramsy both make grill guards designed to hold a winch.
I'll have to check into those. :thumbup I'd really like to add a brush guard and still keep my stock bumper. I like the way the stock bumpers look and I like the look with a bruch guard. I do REALLY WIMPY off roading and so that set up works for me but I'd love to have something that I knew I could add a winch to for down the road.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Shadofax has a sweet setup using his stock bumper

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,355 Posts
I personaly love my Warn Trans4mer. Stout as can be. I hit a power company truck with it and it without a doubt saved the front end.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any good pics of it installed?:popc1: I'd love to see one on a Bronco.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
In my hometown, I have seen a guy with a brushguard like mine (go rhino, manik, etc) and has his brushguard mounted to where the lights go. I am just waiting to see him around, and he will not have his light mount any longer.

:shrug
Bill

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
85f150 said:
IIRC milemarker makes one tooo
I've seen setups like that on trucks around here and it looks like they would fall apart on impact, let alone fail under the stress of winching.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
yea same here, but it has to be at least 8-9k safe since that is their lowest winch. I mean they wouldn't sell it for liability reasons if it came apart easy. I haven't actually gotten to look at one up close but maybe it has a crossmember behind the bumper it bolt to or something there going over the top too :shrug

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
ToddACimer said:
Shadofax has a sweet setup using his stock bumper

yep, free is always good in my book. Never could get myself to part with $500 for a bumper/winch mount, plus I like the stock look. This pic shouldn't fool you though. The "bumper" is more or less fascia...this is the winch mount, 8" structural C channel, that in the end is bolted to the frame three different ways on each frame arm. so it's pretty darn solid, likely a bit overkill:

I used to have a smittybilt push bar up front, but you would need to weld on some brackets for a frame mount, and then add a channel to it. modifying the stock bumper for a "hidden" winch just seemed simpler/stronger.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shadofax...you've got a sweet set up there!:thumbup I saw your install post on that winch mount...very good set up and easy to understand. If I can't get something that I'm confident in winching with then that IS the set up I'd go with.

Those push bar ones BOLT onto the FRAME somewhere, RIGHT? IF not then NO WAY would I winch with that. But I DO like the idea of a BOLT-IT-ON and your done. My fab skills are that of a 3rd grader....so the less fabbing the better.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
me i like the ranch hands alot but it is a whole new bumper. if you can find one under 600 i'd say go for it

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Shadofax...you've got a sweet set up there!:thumbup Thanks Million$dragon

I saw your install post on that winch mount...very good set up and easy to understand. By your join date, you either saw it as a link to my supermotors pages recently posted in FOTM Feb., and saw the pics, or you are one of the few good SEARCH guru's (since there was a long thread on my install of this sometime maybe around mid 2004?), and I salute you!:thumbup :beer Never know what you can find with a little good searching.

Those push bar ones BOLT onto the FRAME somewhere, RIGHT? Normally NO, mine bolted to the bumper with some 3/8ths bolts IIRC, it did have some nice thick verticle push bars at 5/16ths steel, so it was heavy. These ford bumpers are very wide, so they normally don't make them to go all the way under and actually mount to any frame surface, and that's where you would have to figure out major mods...just extending it under the bumper to frame mount won't cut it with a winch then mounted on some fabbed up plate between the verticle push bars some 18" higher up. Most all you will have to modify significantly to bolt to the frame and withstand a pull of a 5k truck.

IF not then NO WAY would I winch with that. But I DO like the idea of a BOLT-IT-ON and your done. My fab skills are that of a 3rd grader....so the less fabbing the better My suggestion then would be to not go the route you are thinking. and consider my path. Can you pull 4 bolts to get the bumper off? Got anything to cut the flimsly bumper? Got a decent (preferably 1/2") drill? Got a grinder to cut the C channel to size (be careful here on saying no)?....1) harbor freight sells grinders for $9, and 2) I actually had my only grinder at the time down, so I cut the 3' of close to 1/2" thick side wall with a hacksaw...:shocked :shocked :toothless :doh0715: took about the weekend. wonderful thing, time, patience, stupidity, and beer.:chili:

If you can handle a little fab, you can put a winch on a heavy duty plate bolted very securely/directly to your frame mounts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The search button is easy to use...I actually look for an answer before I throw something up here. I really do like the stock set up with the stock bumper. I also like the fact that you didn't have to fork out $500+ to buy a brand new bumper.
I've got to get the lift first and then I'll have to decide if I go for lockers next or if I go with the winch next. I suppose that lockers would be smarter because IF I can keep myself form getting stuck then I wouldn't even need the winch yet. So it may be a while before I get one...but I could be gathering the steel and bolts in the mean-time and be fabbing things up so it's ready to go. :thumbup

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Million$dragon said:
The search button is easy to use...I actually look for an answer before I throw something up here. I really do like the stock set up with the stock bumper. I also like the fact that you didn't have to fork out $500+ to buy a brand new bumper.
I've got to get the lift first and then I'll have to decide if I go for lockers next or if I go with the winch next. I suppose that lockers would be smarter because IF I can keep myself form getting stuck then I wouldn't even need the winch yet. So it may be a while before I get one...but I could be gathering the steel and bolts in the mean-time and be fabbing things up so it's ready to go. :thumbup
yea, with the $500+ you just saved, you now actually bought the winch too (or practically so if going with a warn).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm wanting to purchase and install a Buckstop winch bumper ( http://www.buckstop.biz/ford.html ) on my '85 XLT, they state on the site and by e-mail the earliest Bronco model they have them for is a '92. I know that in 1987 Ford made a front end change with better aerodynamic looks but I thought this was just cosmetics. Was the frame changed from '85 to '92? I mean wouldn't a '92 front bumper bolt up to an '85? If they did change the frame what exactly was changed? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Rob (aka Stargate2112)

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
StarGate2112 said:
I'm wanting to purchase and install a Buckstop winch bumper ( http://www.buckstop.biz/ford.html ) on my '85 XLT, they state on the site and by e-mail the earliest Bronco model they have them for is a '92. I know that in 1987 Ford made a front end change with better aerodynamic looks but I thought this was just cosmetics. Was the frame changed from '85 to '92? I mean wouldn't a '92 front bumper bolt up to an '85? If they did change the frame what exactly was changed? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Rob (aka Stargate2112)
'92 is the first year of the new aero body like my '95 IIRC, and that bumper is totally different, as is the frame, since it was switched to a boxed accordian design.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts