Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a ranchand style brushguard from Josh. The plan was to make a bumper the same shape as the brushguard and make the brushguard fit the bumper. Once I picked up this monster I realized it would be easier to make a bumper on the brushguard. It came off of a late 90's early 00's Superduty with the 4 bolt front bumper mounts.

Cut the steel for the frame adapters. PO bolted it up to the bumper. I want it spaced away a little to give me a platform to stand on when I work under the hood. Like the ranchand bumpers.

Got it laid out how it needs to be welded up.

As you can see in the pics above I had the gusset on the short side. I decided to put it on the long side figured it would work better there.

Word of advice that I learned about after welding the first one up. Clamp the plate down to the table. My first one drew the 3/8" plate up a little. Not enough to worry about making another one. Once I get it on the frame I am going to weld the plates together anyways. The only way this is comming off my bronco is if the frame comes with it. :toothless

List for the brackets

2 - 4"x12" 3/4" plate
2 - 4"x9" 3/8" plate
2 - gussets cut from a 3.5" flat 1/4" steel

Cost 0.00 so far for the mounting. Scrap steel at work and a welder at work.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the brackets finished and bolted to the guard and semi attached to the frame.

And here she is.

·
I play with my
384 Posts
Looks pretty good but one question how far from your grill does that thing stick out??? But yeah looks sweet

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the ford emblem to the guard is about 10" and from the ford emeblem to the farthest point is about 15"

·
Registered
593 Posts
wow...looks awesome. nice job

·
Registered
302 Posts
You don't need no stinking bumper. Exposed front ends look cool. Seriously...I like it with just the guard on.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that but I don't like the fenders hanging down and the mounting brackets visible.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looks good.

lightnin said:
I thought about that but I don't like the fenders hanging down and the mounting brackets visible.
I'd probably just trim the bottom of the fenders, then make a winch mount in the middle that covers the brackets/frame mounts.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CJW said:
You worried about your approach angle?
Not really at the moment. Evenutally I will have 38's or 40's and we don't have much but mud and trails here.

79broncoboy92 said:
thats pretty sweet how much wider is it than the front end of your truck?
From the fender to the inside of the guard is 2 3/4".

BurlyQ said:
Can you build me one? I like the idea of trying to kill anything you hit...
:toothless

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I fixed the links on the old pics and had some free time to do a little more work on it.

We will start with the recovery points.

1 peice of 1x2 steel about 7" long or so. It was in scrap iron. Round the edges with our new plasma cutter and grind them down the best I can.

An idea on were to place the clevis ring.

Mark and punchmark where you want to drill. Rig up a jig (ie. Clamp it to the table)

Bust out the new Milwaukee drill with the new 1" steel Hawg bit.

Start drilling.

What the Steel Hawg does to mild steel.

Test fit looks good. Flip it around and do it again.

After drilling both sides cut it in half.

Next move on to the bumper center section. I went with 6" schedule 40 to save weight over the 1/2" mill channel center section. Cut to length to fit between the brushguard legs. Eyeing the recovery point.

Next I laid out the holes for the recovery points and Plasma'd them out. A good steady hand is required for this. I don't have one as you can tell. lol

Did a little better on this one.

Test fit the recovery point. Looks good.

Time to tack and square it up.

Now time to weld it solid. I wanted our fabricator to weld them since they are going to be yanked on.

Got'er welded.

Looks good but how good?

Close enough for me lol.

There it is. Just need to weld the recovery points on the inside of the tube. Then take it home and weld it on the brushguard. I think it will look really good. Especially when I get a chance to finish it. I will be going with 4" on the outside of the brushguard legs.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Keep posting pics, looks good so far, definitely different than what everybody else has.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
i'm lost, i thought i posted but i don't see it ............

soo liek i was saying i would have welded the mounts for your shackle to both tubes just for the sake of overkill and not having to worry.

and i want some more infor on the drill bit, is it better than regs or what?

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and i want some more infor on the drill bit, is it better than regs or what?
All it does is save from drilling a pilot hole, then a bigger hole and on up to 1". Just punch mark it and drill it. It only cuts the bit width and is hollow in the middle. you can see the reminets of what was drilled out in the pic. The 1" bit is like $130. But we have 3/4" and 1" at work and cool drills to. lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts