Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Dash Wiring Prep Pics.
I found a couple places up under the dash that needs a bit of rust clean/spray. It was late so I put the spray can in the toaster oven/brass dryer to get it up to ~100 deg before spraying. Also removed the Dash vent tubes. I had to cut it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Pass Door panels.
Finally got going on this and I think it is gonna turn out good, but it has been a pain. I'm finally getting the hang of rivet nuts, but broke the tool on the last one, so...
I have some PTO to finish the wood. Got to get a better rivet nut setter. I have 2 long rear panels to cut/install on pass side rear. I will need to reset a couple of rivetnuts and another run the the lumber store to finish up this side and get to the drivers side.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice color combo! Really digging the direction you are going with those panels. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Spanks a lot newb.
I've been making some more decent progress on the interior panels. Right now its a pain to upload pics. I got 80% of the rear passenger done, 95% of the pass door panel and a decent start on the drivers side. I got sidetracked for a few hours doing rust cleanup in the bed under the rubber mats that the PO put in, but figured I'd do it while I had the rollbar and rear seat out. I really can not express how awesome the $8 rivet nut tools are - for me, they are a game changer and I will be using them for lots of other stuff in the future.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
JeeeeZZZ!!! I'm back. Finally got back into this site PIA but fixed. So depressing compared to the old format but whatevs...

I've been making progress on the wood panels. I've got all the panels cut and fitted, a few need the PTO treatment. I need to get my window knobs situated to fit the last pieces on the doors. Man I'll tell you those planks make it feel like a TRUCK when you shut the door.

I got a cheap 30$ radio installed. Its OK, but at least I can now listen to GNR. I had the AEM AF gauge go out again. I think its just the sensor. I think it may be getting some kind of feedback power, which may be why it fed up the first time. I'm probably going to wire it to a completely separate circuit. More wiring issues/upgrades in mind as well.

I also had my first recovery. easy peasy, didn't even lock hubs.

Last but not least, I got a new daily/sipper, miata track car. Its a blast-More to come.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Donuts to get donuts... All the cagers were fighting over parking spaces. Floored it in 3rd, 2 muddy circles later I got my donuts. Yes they all stared. No I didn't care...
Ricky got a new shirt.
Sandbags (from the range) really help crawling in and out of this thing.
Rest are the good wood! American Walnut Local to North AL! Riv nuts- I'll never go back to sheet metal screw for anything I ever care about again.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
More walnut and steel...

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
More good wood... Cleaning up the bed a bit. PO had a rubber mat in it. I was SCARED to lift it. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting though. Worst was mostly by the tailgate and where the rear bench mounts.
You can see the tool in one of these pics, with the allen wrench. Easy to get in small crevices.
Some aluminum frame added to attach the rear wood panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
More good wood...
the pointed screw is a spot marker for panels that I put the nutsert in first. Came in useful a couple of times when you need a screw in one spot specifically and is dependent on the frame. just hold the board up, give a bump, and then drill it out.

Normally the easiest way (for me) was to just drill with a bit the diameter of the screw, through the wood/metal and then use one side as a loose hangars, then rivnut the other side. Then drill the rest of the holes in the panel, then install rivnuts, then screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
and... you guess it... more good wood...and a rollbar that was mildly cleaned and repainted.
Rear seat and rollbar removed for ease of install of the panels.

And... that's it for now. I have a couple pieces that need some PTO, I need to get the window rollers settled, then will try moving to black flathead screws. I have 1 or 2 rivnuts that need to be redone. Sunny weather coming up means PTO on the drying racks! The dark/treated ones, need another final coat too.

Once all this is done, I do have a long panel for the dash/glovebox.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I like the wood idea for those back panels. Was originally just going to get 3/8 thick plastic panels just but now I'm not so sure... Only worry about the wood is I don't know how it would fare under the Mississippi sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,394 Posts
Seeing all the wood makes me wonder if you'd dig doing a headliner like the one I saw in the JY the other day. It was made from a thin sheet of wood. It would definitely go with your theme even thought you've already done your headliner.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I saw that in your post and NO! that looks like cheap plywood! After the doors and rear are done, the dash is next. I thought about eventually finishing it out with vertical runner planks on the headliner. The tricky part would be the curve toward the sides. Vertical runners would be easier for that reason. The hardest part of that IMO would be building a sub frame to nutsert into. There is a big vert rib down the middle, but you would need good solid mounting points on the front and back. You *could... just rivnut over the headliner trim area, but I think that would look not as good as putting the wood runners under the headliner trim somehow.

Either way that will be down the road a bit.

As far as the finish in the missipi sun. Look at an old garand stock. Usually a little cleaning and fresh coat of oil will do nicely. I dunno about warping though, I guess we will see as it will be ran in the AL summer sun a fair bit. Over the years the oxidation will form a reddish hue. I hope to be driving it long enough to see that come out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
OK, so I'm making a bit of progress on the steering now in this thread:
Basically I'm removing the stock PS pump and box as one unit (No leaky!) and replacing with WH Pump kit and Parts truck replacement PS box. I will say that the bracket was cut good, but had some finish issues and RUST! I Fixed it for you WH! Please throw a small portion/fortune of all that S&H money yall make and put it on some paint or QC.

I've been watching car shows in the middle of the night and it has encouraged me to go work on my shit at 1:37AM on a workday.
The IT cagers at work talk about how much car repair costs and I'm telling them how much I saved by doing it myself - lol! no pro, but at least I can have a hint of telling when I'm getting ripped off!
Anyway...heres the thread.

Hoping to have this done by Sat AM.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts