Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dodge has the same tires that were installed on it sometime in the mid-nineties. Two are bald, two have good tread but are fairly old and I don't know if they'd survive much harsh use; I've only been using the truck for DD duties on and off for the past five months and hauling a bit of stuff for my mom's farm.

It has come to my attention with the current snow fall that bald tires are no good (Duhr) and with my current financial situation I've been shopping around for a good set of rubber.

Local tire place is offering a set of 36x10R16 (Q78-16LT) TSL swampers for $1000cdn out the door. A pair of Buckshot Mudders is going to cost about $500 + Shipping from wherever National Tire and Wheel is located.

My initial thought is that the TSLs have alot more tread on the pavement, where the Buckshots have pretty thin tread. The Buckshots have a better load rating than the TSLs though, in case I ever do load the crap out of my truck (There's always a good chance of that). But at 2560lbs apiece for the TSLs I think they'll be fine.

This truck will continue to be my DD and will most likely see alot of road use with a bit of mud and dirt on weekends. I do not care about howling or roughness.

Suggestions? :beer

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
What kinda driving do you do???

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mud, dirt trails and wet rocks.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
look at the maxxis bighorns at all?

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maxxis bighorns are not on sale. :doh0715:

The only reason I'm debating TSLs RIGHT NOW is because the size I want is on sale to make room for more inventory. I need tires, they're the size I want and they're on sale for a price I can think about. :thumbup

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mostly road. didn't I mention that in the opening post?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
im pretty sure swampers wear VERY fast on the road. I know my LTBs wore very very quick like 10 000 and they were pretty low. I just know im never getting Swampers again unless its on a dedicated offroad truck, plus theres no point in getting them if youre on the road most of the time.

Also, as someone mentioned, the Bighorns are always for sale on ebay if you were to go that route. And i have no experience with the buckshots.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Between the two you asked about you'll be better off with the Buckshots in your application. TSL's aren't known for being great in the snow, and they're louder and give a much harsher ride than the Buckshots. Having said that though, I think you should buy a set of Maxxis Bighorns. Everyone seems to like them a lot, and they're always available for a good price on eBay.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
yea, but dont forget guys, he's gotta pay international freight shipping on the bighorns on ebay. i vote buckshots
And you don't forget, he asked us about which tires would be better. It's his problem how to buy them. Also, please note that the Buckshots weren't a local buy either, so he's shipping them from somewhere anyway. Surely he can fine someone up there who sells Bighorns.

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Id go with the buckshots. Greatest cheap tire out there. I switched from them to Muddawgs, and let me tell ya i hate it. Buckshots are well worth the money, thats for sure and they last quite a while, or at least a long time for a mud tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts