Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
go over to pirate4x4.com/forum and search in the general 4x4 forum. There is a metric butt load of info about tube buggy build-ups there.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well ive been digging into pirate for hours now...and yeah they have some nice builds...but i never really did find like a chassis design write up...Ive got every thing i wanna do figured out now...I just don't know where to start with chassis design...

Also been considering a pre-built chassis...any body got any links to places? I only found like one place...

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah thats what I've been lookin at...

What do you think it would cost in tubing to build?

I think what im gonna do is:
351W
C4
NP205
9 inch rear
D44 front
38s or so for tires...

A 38 - 40inch tire wouldnt be pushing the axles on a buggy would they?

I know with the 9inch / D44 and 38s on the bronco i could go out and break the axles every time i go out if i want to...

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Thanks!
That should consume a few more hours of online time :banghead
There's a thread floating around the gen4x4 section somewhere that has a huge list of the different buggy builders, and links to their sites. The problem is the thread is old, and a majority of the links dont work, and the a good chunk of the shops have gone belly up.

If I come across it, I'll post it.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a thread floating around the gen4x4 section somewhere that has a huge list of the different buggy builders, and links to their sites. The problem is the thread is old, and a majority of the links dont work, and the a good chunk of the shops have gone belly up.

If I come across it, I'll post it.
Thanks...

Ive been lookin around that site a lot and ive found a lot of dead links...

·
Registered
286 Posts
with a heavy v-8 I would go with a D60 If you go 44 I would not go over 37 and even that will be pushing it rockcrawling. considering the whole cost of a buggy a D60 isnt that much more to add for all the extra strength.
(if you cant afford a D60 I would not start a full tube buggy the cost add up fast)

As far as tubing cost DOM in my area is about 2.50 a foot and depending on how much waste you create if you not very good at bending tube. $$$ add up.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
with a heavy v-8 I would go with a D60 If you go 44 I would not go over 37 and even that will be pushing it rockcrawling. considering the whole cost of a buggy a D60 isnt that much more to add for all the extra strength.
(if you cant afford a D60 I would not start a full tube buggy the cost add up fast)

As far as tubing cost DOM in my area is about 2.50 a foot and depending on how much waste if you not very good at bending tube it adds up.
Yeah...I was thinkin the 44 and 9inch mainly cause i already have them...But i was thinkin a 10.25 and D60 for the future if i start to brake stuff to often...I dont really plan to rock crawl much...mainly trail riding and stuff like that...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would build one with a 44 to get up and running Just dont spend money on them I would just weld the spiders and I would not even do gears until I got a D60

By the time you spend money to gear and lock you can get a D60

Light foot and trail riding you might be OK with a 44

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would build one with a 44 to get up and running Just dont spend money on them I would just weld the spiders and I would not even do gears until I got a D60

By the time you spend money to gear and lock you can get a D60
Good point...Think the 9" would hold up?

I still wanna be able to street it...I was thinkin 4.56s at the most with 38s?

Detroit rear - welded front?

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you dont have full hydro or at least assist steering I would do a selectable locker if front if your running hydro then weld it.

As for as the rear I am a big fan of the mini spool for the 9, make sure to get the hardened crosspin though.

I ran a 9in in a 79 with 460 and 37 MTRs and never had a problem and I have a very heavy foot + there only like 28.00

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you dont have full hydro or at least assist steering I would do a selectable locker if front if your running hydro then weld it.

As for as the rear I am a big fan of the mini spool for the 9, make sure to get the hardened crosspin though.

I ran a 9in in a 79 with 460 and 37 MTRs and never had a problem and I have a very heavy foot + there only like 28.00
I forgot to mention that im planning full hydro (is it street legal? i know theres a lot of talk about it) I don't think i want a spool because it will prob see a lot of street miles...

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I am confused

Full Tube Buggy and Street legal are things that dont go well together
Well that my plans...

Its not ment to be a crawler with stupid low gearing by any means...

I'd like to be able to drive it to offroad parks and car shows and stuff such as that...not a DD but would like it street legal...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Now I am confused

Full Tube Buggy and Street legal are things that dont go well together
correct,
tube buggy and streetable are not very easy.
spool, full hydro steeringh(i have 3 + rigs with full hydro, they are kinda squirrley over 30 mph.....) and no title/vin, or you have to find a donoir carcuss, as homebuilt vehicle does not apply to well in IL, plus then you will have the cops hassling you about a buggy o nthe street

you are not talking about a buggy if you want to street drive it.
vin, title and insurance are gonna suck for you to street drive it, plus hassling of the cops...........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts