Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
tactical-mike
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i decided to build my 74 bronco again. i cant make up my mind for tire size. here is what the new specs will be:
302 on propane/c4/toothpick dana 20.
2.5 ton rockwells.hubs flipped in, welded, 6.72 gearing, mohawk pans.
psc full hydro steering.10" throw double ended ram.
4 link suspension front and rear with 16" coilovers with reservoirs.
15x12 beadlocks, 3" back spacing.

now for the freakin tires. i bought a set of 44's then i sold them to gulfcrest .
then i ordered a new set of 47" ltb's . i have not paid for yet. im not sure the gearing will be low enough in the transfer case for the 47's which means big money for a doubler or stak. the 44's would be very close as far as gearing. what should i do ????? pay for the 47's and run them until i snap the dana 20 in half or just buy some more 44's or 42's and be done with it ??

im also worried my bronco is gonna be as tall as a mud truck.
i do not have to buy the 47's. he stocks them anyways along with everysize interco has. also ive heard the ltb's only work good on heavy rigs .

i can make my own decision about it but sometimes you need your friends to enlighten you a little.
what gives ????????

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
You do know that propane conversion means a huge tank for you to be able to go half the distance you are used to, and you will lose some performance. As long as you are aware of this, go for it.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
IIRC he's already using propane Walt.

Maaaaaaaaan....are you really breaking your one-ton stuff with 42s? I'm thinking going to 'rocks is gonna be a waste if you aren't. However, I've been told that I'm no fun, so you probably shouldn't listen to me in that regard... :toothless

I say, if you're gonna put 'rocks under it, go for the gold and throw the 47s on too...

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Like I said, since you are already running propane, go with it...lol

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
how much balls does that 302 have? maybe sell it and put in a budget 351? whats the low range in that dana 20? can you find a cheap t-case with lower gears?
your rig just wouldnt look right with little tires. i cant speak how the ltb's would work for ya. but i think they would "fit" the truck perfectly. dont they make some big iroks?
i know you cut ton of wieght off that bronco, what do you guess it will weight with the rocks?
seems there is a lot of big tire buggies over on pirate. what are they running?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Seems to me on a rig as light as yours rocks are overkill unless you go with the 47's.
Go big bro!!! Work out all the kinks with the rocks, so that when I find a set I can learn from your build!

·
tactical-mike
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UR right about LTB's from what I've seen and heard they do seem better for heavier rig's..They don't seem to get any traction on a lighter rig such as ur's?I'd say 42's...:beer
thats what ive been reading about them.

You do know that propane conversion means a huge tank for you to be able to go half the distance you are used to, and you will lose some performance. As long as you are aware of this, go for it.
yeah but its cheap and works great . and as you know , its already hooked up and working.

IIRC he's already using propane Walt.

Maaaaaaaaan....are you really breaking your one-ton stuff with 42s? I'm thinking going to 'rocks is gonna be a waste if you aren't. However, I've been told that I'm no fun, so you probably shouldn't listen to me in that regard... :toothless

I say, if you're gonna put 'rocks under it, go for the gold and throw the 47s on too...
im not breaking my one tons. they are built really well. ive just always wanted an eb on rockwells and i had a chance to swap mine over and i sold all my stuff in two days.

:rofl: no thanks

Michelins
:rofl: no thanks

already sold them but i can buy more. its definately a thought. :beer

44" Rockers
i'll check into those .

Not a bad call right there. BillaVista just posted up a detailed review on the 42's and he highly praised them. After reading it, I might consider them for my next tire.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Pitbull/
thanks for the link. great info.

how much balls does that 302 have? maybe sell it and put in a budget 351? whats the low range in that dana 20? can you find a cheap t-case with lower gears?
your rig just wouldnt look right with little tires. i cant speak how the ltb's would work for ya. but i think they would "fit" the truck perfectly. dont they make some big iroks?
i know you cut ton of wieght off that bronco, what do you guess it will weight with the rocks?
seems there is a lot of big tire buggies over on pirate. what are they running?
my 302 is stock. that doesnt matter too much. the dana 20 will get replaced sometime later. i dont think my rig would look right on small tires either . the iroks are big and i already have wheels that are too small for a 21" wide tire. im not sure of the weight yet . pirate sux. you cant start a thread over there and get good responses like you get here. those guys are hateful.

Seems to me on a rig as light as yours rocks are overkill unless you go with the 47's.
Go big bro!!! Work out all the kinks with the rocks, so that when I find a set I can learn from your build!
ive got the rocks all figured out. parts are cheap. they are strong and easy to work on and 6.72 gearing stock is unbeatable. just make sure you get the u joint style steering axle.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Mania I'd say go with the rockers because they look and apparently ARE badass, buuuuuut you might as well go bigger if you are going rockwells...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Personally I want some LTBs, but in the new 40s they should have out soon. If I were to run rockwells a 44" tire would be minimum.

With as many parts as I've heard you come across I can't believe you don't have a 205 and 203 laying around?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
your right about pirate. i saw your thread there. there are a couple clowns there that always have some smart ass comment to make, but never any thing worth reading. i seem to really notice it in the ford section.

i'd ask a question in general tech about ltb's and your rigs weight. show a pic of your bronco, so they know your not a newbie or a kid.

i wanna get a look at the 40 ltb. i think they would work great with my gearing and new motor. my bronco will probably weight twice what yours does though.

as far as the 47"s go, how heavy of a rig do you need to make them stick?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
well i decided to build my 74 bronco again. i cant make up my mind for tire size. here is what the new specs will be:
302 on propane/c4/toothpick dana 20.
2.5 ton rockwells.hubs flipped in, welded, 6.72 gearing, mohawk pans.
psc full hydro steering.10" throw double ended ram.
4 link suspension front and rear with 16" coilovers with reservoirs.
15x12 beadlocks, 3" back spacing.
And you are complaining why?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.