Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such thing as a budget mudder? First off i'd like to know where to start...I already have a some what beefy 78 bronco, it's got 36's on there with no fenders...but i jsut want to know what i can do to make it go good....pipe it, lift it, performance part si should get....anything would help.

·
Registered
353 Posts
well, I don't know what your budget is but mudding and trail riding is an expensive sport, it's not Nascar by any means but stuff breaks and if you can't find it at a junk yard it's going to cost you. Tires are not getting any cheaper, I'm looking to upgrade to 39.5's and they will cost me $400.00 a tire, then if you really want to gain traction you have to look into a locker, I have a lockrite in my front D44 and rear 9" and i am surprised at how affordable they were and how well they work, that was the only mod that was IMO on the cheap. Of course thew more work you can do yourself the better. I remember when I first got mine, I thought 33's would be more than enough, several years later I just had to have those 35" boggers and swore I wouldn't go bigger.....welllllll, it's going up again. Then I wanted more power than the 351M would give me so I found a dismantled 71 Lincoln 460 and built it myself with a bit of help from the machine shop, never built a motor but I wasn't going to pay them any more than I already did. Fact is, if you like it and like wheeling, you are going to sink money into it to improve it, then you look back and see that you've dumped $15,000.00 into it over the years and it looks like a heap. if you're married you have to do it in baby steps, your purchases will be spread out pretty far but if you're single you'll get more stuff done on it quicker. :twak:smilie_slap

·
Registered
550 Posts
The key is to planning your build.... I'm also on a budget, and have been for awhile now. But, because of careful planning and patience, I'm at the stage where I just finished swapping in a D60, and now I'm in the process of putting a 460 under the hood. For example, I was patient while looking for a D60, and I eventually got one for $125!!! That saved me a pile of money. And building stuff on your own can save you tons of money too. On the other hand, I would love all sorts of parts for the front axle and new engine.... But I can't afford them. So, other than 5.13 gears, they're going into my truck as "stock" units, for now. I'll slowly collect the parts I need when I can, and someday I'll be making the horsepower I eventually want. Investments into tools will seem expensive, but pay for themselves over and over. Like I said, it's all about planning. For example, don't bother spending too much money on your current drivetrain, if you'll eventually go with 1-tons. If it's on 36's now, wheel it and have fun!! Learn stuff about your rig and do lots of research. Slowly collect parts when you find good deals and have extra money available.

That's my $0.02!

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
IT seems to me like the best way to build a "budget" mud truck would be to start with something small (ranger, s-10, bronco II, explorer sport, etc) that way you have less weight to deal with...
the obvious benefits of less weight being:
1. tires wont sink in as easily, so you can run smaller tires..
2. less horsepower is required to give the same results (small tires, and lighter truck)
3. you can run smaller axles and they'll hold up better (because of smaller tires and less horsepower)

etc... a good "extreme" example would be a quad.. even one with 40horsepower, 14" tires, and teeny quad axles does great even compared to big "mud" trucks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
IT seems to me like the best way to build a "budget" mud truck would be to start with something small (ranger, s-10, bronco II, explorer sport, etc) that way you have less weight to deal with...
the obvious benefits of less weight being:
1. tires wont sink in as easily, so you can run smaller tires..
2. less horsepower is required to give the same results (small tires, and lighter truck)
3. you can run smaller axles and they'll hold up better (because of smaller tires and less horsepower)

etc... a good "extreme" example would be a quad.. even one with 40horsepower, 14" tires, and teeny quad axles does great even compared to big "mud" trucks.
sounds to me like he already has a bronco so starting out with something smaller would require the sale of one of the best off road vehicles ever made for something with weaker parts. I'm also not sold on the "lighter is better" deal because so many times i've seen jeeps sit on top of the slimy stuff and spin while I go right around them because i'm down on the better clay, of course tires have a lot to do with it, i've never understood the love affair with ground hawgs but to each his own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm talking small budget, where most of everything is used, but i'd like to find a good 4" lift at an affordable price anyone know where one of them can be found...and i feel what i have is a good stuff because the drivetrain is pretty solid, and i'm not talknig extreme mud, i'm just talking sinky badroads/ logging roads...and after my last ride in the bronco i popped both front tires, so now i'm running 33's

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm talking small budget, where most of everything is used, but i'd like to find a good 4" lift at an affordable price anyone know where one of them can be found...and i feel what i have is a good stuff because the drivetrain is pretty solid, and i'm not talknig extreme mud, i'm just talking sinky badroads/ logging roads...and after my last ride in the bronco i popped both front tires, so now i'm running 33's
look on craigslist for used parts in good shape can also look here when you have 75 posts i try and find parts on CL every night

·
Registered
304 Posts
buy a sawzall and some 38's then get someone to weld the rear spiders or buy a spool. done. cheap as cheap can get :thumbup

seriously, there is no cheap way to wheel unless you do ^^^^^ that. my advice is to listen to what others have said. it sucks, but chances are you will have to build in stages when money allows, but at the same time, if you lose interest it works in your favor because you won't have a boatload of cash tied up in it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
if you're married you have to do it in baby steps, your purchases will be spread out pretty far but if you're single you'll get more stuff done on it quicker. :twak:smilie_slap
Truer words have never been spoken.

So, rig, sawzall, 6011 lockers (thats weldin them up by a stickwelder and 6011s), taller tires and golden.

I think you could do JUST a bit more than that. LEARN TO WELD and that will save you literally thousands. Put (at least) a hoop in and start cutting off the weight. Bob the front and rear as you go. Also, you will want to either get longer radius arms or mod the piss out of yours. With 33s, my tires hit mine. Not bad, but they hit.

SWS

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Im sitting at $25 into this truck...When im done I should have around $50 to $75 into it....

It can be done... But in my case Iv been hording parts since 89 & could prob build 2 or 3 others... In fact my Ranger on Bronco fram will be the next cheap build... Ill start that in a few weeks...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Im sitting at $25 into this truck...When im done I should have around $50 to $75 into it....

It can be done... But in my case Iv been hording parts since 89 & could prob build 2 or 3 others... In fact my Ranger on Bronco fram will be the next cheap build... Ill start that in a few weeks...
So the the 911 I tore down a couple years ago that is now nearly back together really only cost me like $100, I like your math.

·
Registered
461 Posts
you lost me
Counting parts you already had on hand (but paid for at an earlier date) or calculating costs after some profitable exchange (bought entire truck for $500 sold it after taking parts off for $450 - Only $50 in these parts) is only so helpful for someone looking to build on a budget.

But no doubt buying entire trucks cheap is far and away the best bang for the buck... so long as you have room to keep junk trucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have people to help me for sure, i just need some wisdom on some affordable stuff. One of my uncles is a ford only guy, has a 77 and 79 f-150, and that is who i bought my bronco from. Does anyone know what kind of power you can get from a 400m. I know they're not the best engine, but they have a few aftermarket bolt ones, what do you guys think of those?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Look into parts swapping, youll be suprised what "junk" you have laying around that someone else could use, and who knows, maybe they have somthing your looking for, thats how ive come across alot of the parts i need for my 78, my 79 had a 4inch susp, 3 inch body lift, cut fenders and back in its day ran 44's, a 4 inch lift will run you about $350 in a JC whitney catalog, body lift is another $100ish and you can always look for a set of used tires
heres the 79 i have, and this trucks suspension was done CHEAP, motor and trans is where they put the money

trans cooler-

460-

electric fans & ratchet shifter-

only the gauges you need, + a tach on the stering column

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I started with (a year ago) a one ton 4door Bronco, it had a D44 front, 3.54 gears, and a LS Sterling 10.25 in the rear with 4.10 gears.

Bald weather checked 33's on the front, and decent 33's on the back; it had a screaming 460 (factory) and a shot E40D (happened on the 2200 mile drive home).

I have since traded- parts/labor and let it pay my way, into not one, but 2!! Dana 60 fronts, a complete 4" lift for the front, including drop Pitman arm, a set of spring hanger for the rear which allowed a shackle flip, a gear change, 37's, and then 40's,( two sets really, the Hawgs I am running, and some 10% tread Irocs which will be perfect spares....)(sure they may be Hawgs, but they are 95% tread.. and have the little nubbies on them yet), and not one.. but two sets of S-duty wheels, 3 if you count all I have had my hands on, stocker chromies (spare's) and a set of Welds which I flipped for Centerlines..... (my second 60 is a S duty 60) and have pulled $2200 out of it along the while.

It lost its 460 (ran awesome, not a fan of the single digit mpg club) in lieu of a 6.9, it lost its shot slushbox, in favor of a NP435...

You can build on a budget, just

Yes I have some dadgummed effort into it, and have only been 4wd for 3 months of ownership, and running for 9 months, maybe 8 of ownership, but... the down times have been selfinflicted, trans swap took a month, motor swap has taken 4 months...etc.

It can be done, bide yer time, and be savvy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that's what my back fenders look like too, my front ones are barely shaved jsut to get the full turn out of them when it had the 36's on it. A body lift won't really work for my bronco since the floor is so junky, i am thinking or tearing out all the inners of the truck and rewelding the floor with some sheets of metal, and i am saving mnoey for some headers and pipes maybe (is Hooker good?) Or should i get a cam, carb, and intake? (Edlebrock?)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts