Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my truck had more than enough rust on the bed to constitute making a tube bed. It's all made from 2x2 1/8 box tubing. This is my first time tackling any thing of this nature. It is far from done as of now. I will be either putting a diamond plate floor or sheet metal, if those are too expensive it will probably be wood :p I am making the wheel wells so big because it will have 36's or 37's on it shortly

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dang that looks nice.
Did you paint the truck yourself too? Looks great.
I like the tube bed, cant wait to see the finished project.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
What are you doing for a lift?

·
ford freak
731 Posts
looks good! I was just pondering how this would look on mine. subscribed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Yea I did all of the body work and paint myself, first time ever. It's JD blitz black because it is cheap and durable. $87 for gallon of paint primer and thinner. I replaced the cab corners and extensions because they were so bad and I was gonna do the bed but I needed a whole new bed the rust was that bad.

I am doing a SAS with 6.5" cage coils and shackle flip from on here.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it only looks beautiful from afar :p I figured it's going to be scratched anyway and there are a few flaws but overall for my first time I think I did good. I used the panels from JBG they were really cheap and awesome.

Here is a reference of my car just to see where I'm heading. It's the only thing I'm good at :p

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well it only looks beautiful from afar :p I figured it's going to be scratched anyway and there are a few flaws but overall for my first time I think I did good. I used the panels from JBG they were really cheap and awesome.

Here is a reference of my car just to see where I'm heading. It's the only thing I'm good at :p

Are you saying the car's paint was your 1st one? If so, all I have to say is DAMN!!! Looks great to me, and to even try black on your 1st paint job takes some balls! Keep it up :thumbup

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha no the paint on the car is stock I would be in the painting business if that was my first go around haha. The truck was my first attempt at body work, paint, and fabrication.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Looking good so far!! Any idea on the cost of materials? I recently debated donig the same thing on a 2000 F-250 that had a wreck and demolished the bed. We ended up buying a new basic flatbed for $1500, s oyou should be way below that on the build. Are you planning on adding a headache rack or any kind of protection for the back of the cab and rear window? JSM84

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have $215 into tubing, that's 96' of 2x2 tubing and 8' of 2x3
I will have $200 into sheet metal, so $415 doing all the work myself.
I was planning on putting a roll bar on it and intergrating it but piping just was too expensive for now haha, I might end up doing something like that but for now I won't. I will have new updates tomorrow!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bed frame is complete, just has to be all welded together and then a deck and sides put on it
I will be building a tailgate for it also

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Looking good but you should have given some more thought to the miters and or copes and you could have eliminated some of those gaps you got from making the angled cuts.

Are you going to use the factory frame to body mounts?

Also, why did you throw in that little piece of 2x2x2 tubing at the rear of the wheels? You should have just made that one length of tubing, 4" longer

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Why are all the "vertical" supports not quite vertical

1 - 20 of 69 Posts