Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a 460 in my bronco and the motor has been rebuilt and i was wondering what all you all use to prime up the oil pressure before a fresh startup. I tried the old distributor but for some reason it won't fit in all the way, took the cam gear off and welded a bolt to the top but still won't go down all the way. the good distributor that i'm going to put it in goes down all the way so i was wondering what all ya'll do before a fresh start up. Also i bought an oil pan for a 4wd 460 off ebay and i'm not sure on how many quarts it holds, so we looked it up and it said that all stock big block oilpans from ford held 8 quarts. with the kit i got off ebay, it came with a dipstick and tube and the dipstick, you got to cut to the lenght you want it. i was wondering, if i used an 351M dipstick to check the level then cut it to the length that the 351M level was.
thanks alot
justin:whiteflag

·
Registered
343 Posts
what he means is aftermarket pans could be not deep enough...
causing the oil pickup to suck the bottom of the pan ( kinda like holding your hand over a vacume hose ) or the pan could be too deep and the pickup not even be in the oil after running for a min.

ether way.. your engine is not getting enough oil..

Off the topic of what you're asking about..... but o-well

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i bought the oilpan off ebay, it came with a pickup tube and a cap bolt and a tube and dipstick so it should be alright shouldn't it?
justin

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
justinbigblockbronco said:
When i bought the oilpan off ebay, it came with a pickup tube and a cap bolt and a tube and dipstick so it should be alright shouldn't it?
justin
You should be fine, you'll know pretty quick if you're not building up oil pressure.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Another point: Use a BIG drill. I smoked my 3/8" Craftsman. You'll need a heavy duty 1/2" drill to get any oil pressure built up in that motor. I thought something was wrong, because the shaft was so hard to turn, but that is normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts