Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me a buddy played with our wood today. He already built one on a smaller scale for himself and helped me throw this together. 8x3 ft. surface, 3 ft. tall. Ripped 2x4's to make the butcher-block style top, came out pretty stout. Space on the bottom to roll in the lower part of my toolbox. I still have to sand down the top and throw on some layers of polyurethane. Then, it will hopefully organize the pile o' crap currently sitting behind it. I plan to put up the ol' pegboard behind it and get a few used kitchen cabinets to mount above. Nothing crazy, just though I'd share...

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
That looks real good. Any reason for slotting the bottom shelf, or just to save material?

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks real good. Any reason for slotting the bottom shelf, or just to save material?
Those are some of the pieces we ripped off the 2x4's for the top. We had more than enough. I wanted it slotted close enough to hold big items, but let all other dirt and junk fall through.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
never saw a work top made that way. it looks cool. i usually build my work bench legs with 4x4's, but that looks pretty stout. nice job.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Looks good, you and your friend work well with each other's wood ;). You should cover at least half of it with 1/8" plate so you can swing a hammer with purpose when you have to and not worry about damaging the wood.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Nice looking piece of wood you got there! :rofl:

How much to ship to 15108? I would love to have one like that...all I got is the ground or the bkos tail gate to work on stuff.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
looks like shit. bring it to me to risk my stuff being on it and redo one for you.

seriously looks good, i have been putting this off for so long. i think im going to do it this spring.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Very nice job. Better put some triangulation on the back of it though. It may be tight now, but in time it will get a little flexy.

Like that. If you're not going to put anything real heavy on it that probably won't be a problem though.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Looks good, you and your friend work well with each other's wood ;). You should cover at least half of it with 1/8" plate so you can swing a hammer with purpose when you have to and not worry about damaging the wood.
I'd cover the whole thing with fiber board, or maybe some 1/4" plywood, using countersunk screws. That way, after you trash the top, you can just take it off and replace it.
Very nice job. Better put some triangulation on the back of it though. It may be tight now, but in time it will get a little flexy.
:stupid Over-built is better than under-built.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
looks good man .. nice idea for the top...are they screwed together every other few to keep it tight? .. what is the deal there?

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
looks good man .. nice idea for the top...are they screwed together every other few to keep it tight? .. what is the deal there?
Actually, they should all be screwed together (or, ideally, "joined") with any natural warp being alternated with each board. That way, after you've planed it with the sander, the boards will all hold themselves in place without warping further.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was planning on putting those steel traingular braces in the corners if it ever got loose.

I'd cover the whole thing with fiber board, or maybe some 1/4" plywood, using countersunk screws. That way, after you trash the top, you can just take it off and replace it.
I like that idea. I can always do that after I trash it, too.:toothless

Actually, they should all be screwed together (or, ideally, "joined") with any natural warp being alternated with each board. That way, after you've planed it with the sander, the boards will all hold themselves in place without warping further.
Iolaus is on the money. They are all screwed together and bonded with wood glue as well. The top is basically one piece.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
looks like it's gonna be a mofo to sand it smooth
you could do your triangulation with eye bolts and cable and a couple turnbuckles

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks like it's gonna be a mofo to sand it smooth
Got a decent belt sander so it won't be that bad. It doesn't have to be perfect since it's getting coated with polyurethane.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts