Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i built a skid plate for my transfercase... whatcha think? any suggestions?

would anyone be interested in buying one if i descide to make a few?
i can even get them powercoated black.
or i can ship them dissassembled and have you do your own welding and such. whatcha think?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Even if it is just to clean up the under the truck. I have seen the factory ones bend in the middle and almost destroy the t-case they are supposed to protect.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bent the stocker so bad that it lifted my tranny and transfer case and put my linkage in such a bind that i could barely shift.

i plan i cutting the access holes for the drainage and filler holes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'd love to get rid of my stock one. how thick is that plate? how much were you looking for? and what part of east texas are you in?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
if I was building one I woud have a few drain holes, or like an open grate on the bottom, to let the water and mud wash out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i made everything out of 3/16ths diamand plate. i wanted the smooth side so i fliped it around. i live 30 miles north of longview texas off of highway 259. as far as price... i have no idea. what do u think its worth?

also if u look u can tell i angled some flat iron along the edge of the plate on a 45 degree going up tward the cab. this is to help keep things snagging if u get something big enough to reach there, it also adds reinforcement to help sturdy it up.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If thats 3/16", it probably won't be strong enoufgh on the passenger side of the plate where its just flat. I could see the weight of the truck bending it making it contact the transfer case.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats why im gonna reinforce it on top with some scrap angle iron. if i was gonna build some id prolly use either 1/4 inch or 5/16 or if i can get some 3/8 would be ideal,, but 1 heavy son.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my goal is to be able to jack up on that plate and lift the bronco.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what would u recommend mike?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
the 3/16 is fine if it was ribbed. If its going to be flat I would probably go 5/16" at least....?

I tend to really overbuild things though, so I might be just seing it weaker than it really would be

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well.. ya know.. it only takes 1 time to bust a t-case open.... im like you, id rather be save than sorry. thats why i asked for everyones opinion! After almost breakin mine i want to be free from concern with this new plate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if it was reinforced or 5/16 (maybe 1/4) i would definitely be interested in one. let me know if you're going to build it and we could work out a deal.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looks like 3 so far. ill go ahead and see if i can get some thicker metal.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
i might be interested.
but before you get to work- post a price so we know if we're REALLY interested- or just interested in the idea...
ace

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm? im gonna need some help on a price.. what does something like this normaly go for?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,916 Posts
Ask David or Dustin they might give ya some ideas. I sure like it alot and would be down for one as well but would probably have david make mine being he is closer and all.
having some drain action on it would definatly make the cake

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.