Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery has been sitting in the garage since this summer while i rebuilt my motor....well I discovered that on both ends its bulged, I used it to put up my rear window a few days ago and didn't think much about it, but thinking about it since and talking to two people has made me realize that this puppy might blow up. Its sitting in the corner of the garage right now, so how do I go about handling, say to take it to autozone or advance, should I try and pop the caps off? I don't really want a face fulla acid, Thanky

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
take it to autozone and get a new one cause you will need a core anyway. i have had afew that bulged but never had problems of them exploding. slowly raise the caps, to relive the pressure but i doubt you will get much pressure.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
They do have vents. Stand back with a towel and a long screw driver or pry bar if you're afraid.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
At our battery bench we also always have a solution of baking soda and water ready to wash/neutralize and electrolyte or battery acid that gets spilled. Its always good to have baking soda on hand when your messing with led/acid batteries.

Oh and BTW.....the caps would pop off and go flying across the shop LONG before the battery would explode. Just because it is a bit swelled dont get all nervous.....it aint going to blow open.....with this said. I always wear eye protection, and never smoke around venting batts.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Haha, reminds me of a operational risk management class my dad taught at a place that he and I used to work at... It came about because one of the guys was just doing some work on someone's boat, and the guy's wife asked him to check the fluid levels in the batteries, and he did so with a lighter.

He looked kinda funny for a month with no eye brows and a fairly decent receeding hair line.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some of the plastic case batteries flex out. I sold a car to this guy and when it didn't start he toke off the caps and checked the acid level with a match. Needless to say he ended up in the emergency room. Just god saying don't drink and try to drive :doh0715:

·
user title
2,211 Posts
local shooting range, your battery and a .45. That should releave the pressure.

again, Don't listen to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like your battery got low on charge and froze. That will make them swell up to the point where they will crack. Been there done that.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts