Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning my front and rear bumper builds. Still undecided on a tube or box bumper.

Anyone done this on a bullnose and how did you handle the flares on the front frame ends? I’m thinking I will just cut them off and weld/bolt on square ends.

Here is what I’m considering.

And what I built for my CJ - I may like to incorporate the corner guards like I had in this.

Or maybe just hide the winch in the stock bumper as some have done but I haven’t seen that on a bullnose.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
208 Posts
I personally like the old school tube bumper look.
hidden winch on a stock bumper would be similar tohttps://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/shadowfax-bossind-type-winch-install-for-80-85.295506/ possibly just need to change frame widths, or not, I’m not sure what the difference between frame widths between a 3rd and 4th generation FSB is, but the overall process would be the same.

I would start the bumper build with the hidden winch and if that didn’t work as planned you add to the winch cradle finishing up either the RH looking or tube bumper.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
There is nothing like a quarter inch plate style bumper for protection in the woods. Something you can lean on against a tree and not have to worry about it making contact on your tub. My junk that I'm building and working on.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@johnnyk8 I’m trying to see exactly what you did there. Looks like you cut the top off the frame ends? Do you have additional photos?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,002 Posts
I like the combo plate and tube style.

I saw and pulled this bumper off an 81 f150 in the JY a while back. Its obviously a plow setup, but could easily be converted for a winch. Itll make a nice pairing with the old ranch hand rear bumper I have from my burnt 96.

The main front edge is the main structure, made from 1/4"+ c-channel. I can pick it up, but not easily. Its definitely custom, but nicely fitted, and just bolted to the side of the frame rails.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am in the middle of boxing the front of the frame horns on my '81 and adding new mounting brackets to the bumper. There isn't a straight line on the front of that entire frame..

I will be able to take more pictures next weekend when I finish up the project but here is an idea of how I am doing it.

I will be boxing the front of the frame and making it an even rectangle. This will allow a 'sleeve' to be mounted to the bumper and will just slide over the frame and bolt down. Boxing the frame will require two pieces. A larger, flat plate like the template pictured below and a small triangular filler piece for the top since the frame tapers backwards.

I will be welding nuts to the inside of the boxed frame portion so that all I have to do is tighten down the bolts. The top bolt (pictured) has a nut that was welded inside a hole that I drilled in the frame and is securing the top plate while mocking up the side plates.

Here is a picture of the sleeve. The flat face in the front will be welded to the backside of the bumper and act as the mounting brackets. The sharpie at the bottom is the clevis that will sit on the outside of the frame and double as bolt holes to secure the bumper to the frame.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@91FordGuy excellent. Is that all 3/16”? Why’d you decide to box the frame vs just wrapping three sides with the sleeve? Are you mounting a winch? What are you thinking for the bumper? Look forward to seeing your progress. I won’t be starting mine until it warms up a bit - no fun working with 10 degree hunks of iron!

·
Registered
298 Posts
@91FordGuy excellent. Is that all 3/16”? Why’d you decide to box the frame vs just wrapping three sides with the sleeve? Are you mounting a winch? What are you thinking for the bumper?
Yep 3/16" and I decided to box the frame for strength purposes. Looks can be deceiving.. the front frame horns were totally flexing while pulling on the bumper to break the tack welds that were previously holding it on. The inside plate used to box the frame will also serve for the mounting surface for the winch plate. Im going to run a winch plate from frame to frame with 'L' brackets that fit inside the frame rails and pick up the same holes used for the sleeve, if that makes sense. So this way the bumper and winch plate are separate incase you need to do winch maintenance but they all pick up the same bolt holes to the new strengthened frame.

Here's the bumper. It was tack welded to the frame here but will look exactly the same. The only difference will be the shackles on either side of the frame rails. I will have to trim the bottom tube of the bumper flush with the vertical brace.

·
Registered
542 Posts
@johnnyk8 I’m trying to see exactly what you did there. Looks like you cut the top off the frame ends? Do you have additional photos?

I'll put an album together for you bud. I'll share tonight 1/21/2020

Yes the horns were cut off by the previous owner.

Album

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks @johnnyk8 - that’s kind of what I was considering doing; glad to see it works and thanks for the photos!

It was a fun project for my boy and me. The whole truck was fun!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts