Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 XLT sport has the tow package, 5.8 motor. Last one I had, 1993 bought new, also came with tow pack but included the frame mounted class 111 receiver style hitch. P/O tells me the bumper hitch on my truck is essentially a class111. Anyone know if this is true? Need to tow a 23 seacraft, ~6klbs full load, as well as an occasional horse trailer, ~4500lbs. TRhanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I would strongly suspect No.

Look on top of the bumper near the ball mount and it will have the capacities stamped there.

I would get a real receiver hitch. The ~$100-$200 it will cost will be money well spent for security.

That said, even though the Bronco is rated for 7k, a 23' boat that weighs 6k might become a tail wagging the dog scenario if you're not set up just right. At the least look into a weight distributing hitch.

The Bronco's short wheelbase is its Achilles heel when towing.

·
Super Moderator
26,072 Posts
yo Bob, AS CJ advised.

Here is the 96 Bronco Owners Guide by Hiller Ford
http://www.hillerford.com/resource_library/owner_manuals_pdf/1996_owner_manuals_ford/96bronco.pdf

begins at page 2
Some [Excerpts /I];
Your trailer towing capability will vary based on the standard and optional equipment on your vehicle. Refer to the following Vehicle Loading/Towing Information and the Trailer Towing Tables to determine the specific towing capability of your vehicle.

Do not use the sample numbers on the Safety Compliance Certification Label shown. Use the actual numbers from your vehicle certification label. On driver's door pillar

Use this chart to perform your calculations

Trailer Tow/Step bumper
The step bumper has a built-in hitch and only requires a ball with a one inch shank diameter. The step bumper has a limited Class III
capability (4,000 lb/1814 kg trailer weight and 400 lb/180 kg tongue weight).

If it is necessary to relocate the trailer hitch ball position a frame mounted trailer hitch must be installed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I bought a Curt class IV hitch from advance auto for about $160 or so. It was going to be a pain to install because of the tight space from the tank and the frame. I just ended up dropping my tank and it was super easy after that. I also have new bolts holding up my skid plate so if I need to replace my fuel pump, it will be no issues.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
My 95 XLT sport has the tow package, 5.8 motor. Last one I had, 1993 bought new, also came with tow pack but included the frame mounted class 111 receiver style hitch. P/O tells me the bumper hitch on my truck is essentially a class111. Anyone know if this is true? Need to tow a 23 seacraft, ~6klbs full load, as well as an occasional horse trailer, ~4500lbs. TRhanks for any input!
It's tough but not that tough.
I'd recommend at least a class 3/4 trailer hitch rated to 7500 lbs or more.
This Reese is rated for 7500lbs towing and 750 tongue weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-36025-Premium-Receiver/dp/B000CPI6KO

There's lots of different brands and weight ratings of receivers for our trucks but they're all a similar designs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts