Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

What should I do with my rear bumper?

• Sell it to someone who likes that sort of thing.

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Blast it, powdercoat it black, keep it.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I when I bought my truck it was more showy than a trail rig, even tho it had gears, lift, lockers, that kinda thing. It has lots of chrome, prissy interior, that kind of thing. Well I got rid of the interior, so the next thing to go is the chrome. The main thing is my bumpers. They are great, but I just dont like how they look.

The front one is a massive Warn Intimidator winch bumper. Its great for when you need to work on the engine because its big and flat on the top, makes a great stand. But it sticks out alot, and I dont have a winch. It would be great on a mud truck, but I mostly stick to rocks, and since it hinders my approach angle, its gone. Tell me if you want it.

The real question is with my rear bumper. It is a Westin bumper, rated V5 for 1000lb tongue weight, and 10,000lb trailer weight. Thats just the bumper, NOT the hitch. It has a nice shape to it, and I like the look of it, except for the chrome. And it gets real slippery when its wet. Not to mention the fact at night, when someone is following you, it blinds people with the reflection of their headlights. So I thought, why not have it sandblasted, weld some D-ring tabs on, and have it powdercoated black? So what do you guys think, should I sell it to someone who likes that sort of thing, or should I tarnish a perfectly good chrome bumper to make it more functional? Keep in mind its hard to find good 78-79 bumpers to replace it with.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
sell the back bumper and use the funds to pay for steel. then make your own custom bumpers, front and rear. that way you can make them as strong as you want, and you get improve your approach and departure angles.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Or sell the Warn front bumper, Weld the tabs on the back since you already like it...And use the fund on the back to have a front bumper made, Or you make it...and get it blasted to match the rear....

:shrug

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
Im a fan of custom bumpers myself. those look like the would get munched on the rocks. I would have to say build your own or have someone build you some

·
Super Moderator
14,894 Posts
Munched by rocks or a tree stump..Bumpers like those are nothing but anchors..

·
Super Moderator
14,894 Posts
Here is a pic of my stock bumper, munched by a rock or a tree stump..Bumpers like those are nothing but anchors..

·
Registered
122 Posts
i'll take the front bumper if you don't want it. but will it fit my 1980 bronco? hell i'll make it fit. anything better than having a stock bumper on mine.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply's guys.

About the front bumper, it was like $800 new, plus the winch reinforcing kit, and it is in perfect shape, so I can't afford to just give it away.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
sell them both and have david build you some bumpers, it may take him a while, but the quality is good. just my opinion

wes

·
Registered
573 Posts
You don't like chrome, so just powdercoat it, and trade or sell the front bumper to either build or buy a custom one to your liking. Personally, I like chrome, so it just varies according to your taste.

BTW: Nice truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts