Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as the subject states I'm burning and stinking (antifreeze)...although not overheating (unless it runs low on coolant). It only smokes after driving it and coming to a stop. Smoke will billow out from under the hood. I thought it might be the freeze plugs, but I looked at them and didn't see anything (other than a little corosion on an old egine 137K) I can't find a visual leak anywhere (all the hoses from/to the radiator/engine are good. Checked around the Water Pump and see nothing. Also nothing in the oil pan, so it doesn't appear to be a head gasket.

Last night I just let it idle in the garage (door open so I don't die) and it never smoked....only does it when I drive it, and then only when I am stopped.

Any thoughts...or anyway to tell if it is the freeze plugs with out pulling them.

Thanks

JD

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Is it coming out of the overflow container? I know it's pretty basic but when my radiator cap stopped working, my overflow would literally overflow, by the time I would look under the hood it would be evaporated and hard to tell. Another option is to get one of those radiator pressurizors. Don't know how much they are, but you can put it on in place of your radiator cap, pump it up and wait to leak appears.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the overflow, but should have mentioned that I looked there. I do remember someone talking about the radiator pressure tester...let me search to see if I can find it...or if someone knows of one please post it.

Any other thoughts...I know it's leaking just not where...it's gotta be leaking onto the block in order to produce the smoke that some out...some cases 2-3 minutes worth...maybe more.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Well don't be hasty with that, if it's going in to the block, it would most likely smoke out your exhaust. Smoke under the hood usually indicates steam generated from overheating or your coolant spilling on your exhaust manifold. If it's that much smoke, I would think you are most likely overheating. That could be a blockage, fan isn't working, leak, etc.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You might want to check your intake gasket.

Mine is is the shop right now because of getting hydrolocked :banghead and bending a connecting rod. It started very similar to your description. I could smell antifreeze when I stopped and would get a slight amount of "steam"/"smoke" from under the hood when I would stop or idle. About two weeks later It started billowing "smoke" out the exhaust. I had it towed into the shop and the mechanic started it to troubleshoot the problem. After two or three minutes later, I had a locked up engine. :cry

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me re-phrase:

Smoke = Steamy smoke

If that makes sense..it's not smoking like fire or cigarette. And I meant that it would appear to be dripping onto the block (not within the block) As there isn't any noticable smoke coming from the exhaust.

I will check those heater hoses though....keep the thoughts coming...

This is the last thing needed to pass this damn inspection!!!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stepbyrd said:
You might want to check your intake gasket.

Mine is is the shop right now because of getting hydrolocked :banghead and bending a connecting rod. It started very similar to your description. I could smell antifreeze when I stopped and would get a slight amount of "steam"/"smoke" from under the hood when I would stop or idle. About two weeks later It started billowing "smoke" out the exhaust.
OH NO!!!!

Better get that block tester and make sure.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
The intake gasket is definitely one possibility, but I would go back and check all of my hoses, especially the ones coming of the thermostat housing and the water pump, one of those could have a small or big leak that is causing the coolant to be pissed out on the block and the reason its doing it when you're driving is because the system is building up enough pressure to cause it to do so. I had a similar problem about two weeks ago, but no steam coming from under the hood, turned out to be a hose with a split in it right after the clamp. Good luck man.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just had it runnin for about 20 min and nothing...not one lick of smoke nor scent of antifreeze. Checked every connection/hose again and none of them are leaking. Never once got above halfway on the temp guage (if you were here you would think I was crazy). I'm gonna drive around later and pull it in the garage right away and see if I see anything.

Thanks all....

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Man it really sounds to me like you just have a very small leak somewhere that's getting antifreeze onto the block somehow. When I was doing my water pump a couple of weeks back, I noticed I had a pool of coolant sitting right below my dizzy.. This was how I found my leak..The blue circle is where I found the coolant.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i had a simialar problem with my 78 it turned out to be the thermostat. it would
only leak after i was driving and there was
enough presure built up in the hose for it to get past the clamp.
john

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after driving around last night for about 20-30 min. Up and down thru turns, slowing and accelerating to really work the engine I get home and nothing....not one lick of smoke. Now I could smell it (antifreeze) a little while driving, and some more when I parked (actually my wife could smell it, I must have gotten used to it , because I didn't notice anything) I searched high and low and couldn't find a drop of moisture anywhere. Still leaning towards the freeze plugs (but looks pretty tough with the eninge in place) And I'm not going to pull the engine for this...so unless some of you have some other ideas where to look or what to test, I think I might just leave it alone awhile (although I still plan on doing a pressure test of the system).

Anyway any other thoughts let me know....also anybody change the freeze plugs while the engine is still installed? How much of a PITA is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really...checked the hoses to/from the heater core on the engine side, but not the core itself (inside). If it were leaking/burning (inside) wouldn't the smell be from inside the cab and I don't see how the leak would be dripping on the block to create the steam/smoke.

Unless I'm missing something I don't think it's the heater core itself. But thanks for the thought...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm going through the exact same problem right now. I haven't found any leaks, but I do lose about a pint of anti-freeze every 500 miles or so. I think my next step is replacing the thermostat, hoping that I see something while I have the housing off. Good luck, I'll be watching to see what your results are! SEMPER FI!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd try some dye in it. They make some kits where you put some dye in the radiator, then take a pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system. Ck. to see if the system holds pressure. Then take the black light to see if the dye glows anywhere. If you have a leak anywhere the dye will be forced out and will glow. Also I'd ck. the radiator cap.:beer

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Burning Antifreeze

cherokee237 said:
I'd try some dye in it. They make some kits where you put some dye in the radiator, then take a pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system. Ck. to see if the system holds pressure. Then take the black light to see if the dye glows anywhere. If you have a leak anywhere the dye will be forced out and will glow. Also I'd ck. the radiator cap.:beer
thanks on the dye tip....now time to go hunt one of those down!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Re: Burning Antifreeze

I have the same problem that teufelhunden is having. When Ever I fill the resevoir, It is empty the next time I check it. I dont get any smoke and I havent found any leaks. The truck hasn't overheated either so like I'm stumped. But I have been in the mindset of "If it aint broken durnt fix it":toothless

1 - 20 of 29 Posts