Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i am burning oil, i added 1 quart yesterday and then the engine sounded weird. like the carb was flooding. back in i think august i noticed when drove the bronco home from work i smelled some oil burning but i think i just spilled some on the headers. is it bad for your engine to have too much oil? what the hell did i do to my poor bronco? guys help me before i screw my bronco up even more. i am not a mechanic so i don't know much about how cars work.

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Yes it is very bad if you add too much oil..Why did you add a quart? Did you check the dip stick first to see if it was low?? If its you're rear main you probably would not be smelling oil burning , if it is a bad valve seal, bad rings or you are getting some blow by, then you would most likely smell oil burning off. Pull a couple of your plugs and see what they look like, if they are black and sooty, that means there is oil in your combustion chamber and you have a problem, since you're not a mechanic, seek out one that you trust immediately.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my boss is kinda my mechanic. i will check the spark plugs and have him check out the oil. dammit i hate it when i do that. i know the rear main seal just needs new gaskets, so maybe now is the time to fix it

B

·
0 Posts
My rear main leaks a little and drips out the bell housing down to the exhaust on occasion. Smells great! Check for oil dripping on exhaust. Then the spark plug check is good and follow with a compression test to see if it's valves or rings.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I've always been told that too much oil creates excessive pressure in the crankcase, which will blow seals. I think this is very true, because I replaced my oil pan with a smaller one. The dipstick reads wrong now, and I overfilled thinking it was the same capacity. I blew my rear main a few days later, and I was only up about 2 quarts. Later, I realized how ignorant I had been.
But like these guys have already said, blowing a rear main isn't nessicarily(sp) gonna make any oil burn. Get under it, and look for a leak. If you can't find one, then does it smoke? That will tell you right away whether you're burning, or leaking onto a hot exhaust.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the smell was just some oil that when i was adding to the engine leaked on the headers and well that got hot and made the nice smell. although i am gonna fix the rear main seal, valve covers and trans case, they all need new gaskets in the near future. does anyone have any valve covers that they are selling or giving up?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
1982bronco just got a set, ask him. They need to be cleaned up, but I'm sure he'd part with them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
bodyshop said:
the smell was just some oil that when i was adding to the engine leaked on the headers and well that got hot and made the nice smell. although i am gonna fix the rear main seal, valve covers and trans case, they all need new gaskets in the near future. does anyone have any valve covers that they are selling or giving up?
Valve covers aren't that expensive...there are several brands that sell under $100 for your engine, including Edelbrock, plus it's a nice way to dress up your engine while you're going through it.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
Max said:
Valve covers aren't that expensive...there are several brands that sell under $100 for your engine, including Edelbrock, plus it's a nice way to dress up your engine while you're going through it.
Not to mention I bought a set for 2 dollars when I was painting my engine and didnt want to have to tape off everything. Ended up getting used to paint my buddys engine as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts