Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting that hot wire smell when I use the defroster ...I have never heard of this before ! It seems fine in all other positions ...vent , heater etc . The fan doesn't feel warm when its running and there is no bearing squeal either . I never understood heater controls but i thought they were all vacuum operated . I really do not want something to melt down or worse catch on fire ! Any thoughts?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,192 Posts

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,192 Posts
Do you get the smell when the AC is on? Im guessing your ac compressor may be seized and smoking the belt?
i have no doubts you'd hear it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for the link! I went out to see what cowl I have and its the small hole version ... so I was wondering if I shouldnt just go and change the resistor any way ? ...along with : FPR , 2 power window motors , 2 doughnut gaskets , a/c compressor , etc . etc . Still I wouldnt want to drive anything else ...that thing is just so cool . Thanks again .

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well, I just think if it was the blower it'd be doing it on all settings. It bears investigating the Ac compressor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Turn the "blower speed" setting to high, then turn the position to "defrost" do you smell it now? It could very well be a problem with the resistor pack. My '89 ranger had all sorts of crud on the resistor and smelled terrible. Luckily when on "high" the resistor pack is "bypassed" and thus no heat is emitted from it and therefor no smell. If you have an ammeter, see how much current the blower motor is drawing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts