Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Page 63 lower right hand corner
http://www.artmorrison.com/2006/2006catalog-b.pdf

Would there be any decrease in performance per se, using these kinds of rod ends rather than the sepherical rod ends?

If this is the wrong forum, my apologies. Didn't know where to put it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Project Lazarus said:
Page 63 lower right hand corner
http://www.artmorrison.com/2006/2006catalog-b.pdf

Would there be any decrease in performance per se, using these kinds of rod ends rather than the sepherical rod ends?

If this is the wrong forum, my apologies. Didn't know where to put it.
Yes, if you're really trying to get flex, the spherical will allow extra movement/rotation, especially down. You need a nice long radius arm like a Cage arm for this to really matter.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plans are to make some longer radius arms, probably about 18" longer. I'm still TTB so I can't use the Cage arm just yet. ;) I know, no use in trying to get TTB to flex blah, blah blah....but I like being different (even though it is expensive) and would just like to see what TTB is (or isn't) capable of. Was just wondering if these would help or hurt. Thanks. :beer:

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Project Lazarus said:
Plans are to make some longer radius arms, probably about 18" longer. I'm still TTB so I can't use the Cage arm just yet. ;) I know, no use in trying to get TTB to flex blah, blah blah....but I like being different (even though it is expensive) and would just like to see what TTB is (or isn't) capable of. Was just wondering if these would help or hurt. Thanks. :beer:
i actually want to do the same thing in 3 or 4 months. I think in gonna get the bent and twisted extensions, then maybe get some cut and turned ttb arms later on

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I'm thinking what you're thinking, wouldn't' that just wear the bushing out faster? What's your idea/definition of "large enough" in this case?

·
Registered
63 Posts
plus you need to look at ride. personally, i am using sphericals all the way around. it will make it ride rougher but this will make it fully adjustable and hopefully a lil more durable. my buddy use half sphericals and half bushings on his jeep long arm kit and he said it rides nice... just a little food for thought

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
dogonmut said:
I disagree. I think they would work just fine as long as the bushing was large enough.
Well remember, my statement was not about whether they would work just fine, which I agree they will. It was about whether they might limit travel if trying to really gain flex vs. a spherical rod end, which I don't see how you could disagree with. You would have to 'splain further on that.:popc1:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Shadofax said:
Well remember, my statement was not about whether they would work just fine, which I agree they will. It was about whether they might limit travel if trying to really gain flex vs. a spherical rod end, which I don't see how you could disagree with. You would have to 'splain further on that.:popc1:
sphericals are only good for so many degrees each way, which is limited by the type you buy... a large bushing, being rubber, will give you rotation just like the spherical but is limited by size... a large rubber or poly bushing will give you about 10-15 degrees of flex each way which is about the same as a ordinary rod end... if you choose a high misalignment bearing or use spherical washers with the sphericals then you will see a lot more angle in the arms side to side... thus more flex possible from two sphericals but still get a lot of flex and better ride out of a large poly or rubber bushing on one side

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
OrangeBronc79 said:
sphericals are only good for so many degrees each way, which is limited by the type you buy... a large bushing, being rubber, will give you rotation just like the spherical but is limited by size... a large rubber or poly bushing will give you about 10-15 degrees of flex each way which is about the same as a ordinary rod end... if you choose a high misalignment bearing or use spherical washers with the sphericals then you will see a lot more angle in the arms side to side... thus more flex possible from two sphericals but still get a lot of flex and better ride out of a large poly or rubber bushing on one side
only problem is they are meant to resist from degree 1. Sphericals are free to move within there range, which for the cage RE's is about 14 or 17* IIRC. Also, since there is resistance from degree 1 with a regular bushing, they tend to give more and allow play over time. This is where you really don't want rubber, but rather the poly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
good point Shad... guess it all comes down to what exactly your needs are... i mean 17 degs of misalignment each way is a lot of sway ofr any rig... another point to make would be in regards to the rod end style sphericals... do not try and adjust them out to far... more then 3 or 4 threads showing will really start to limit the strength of these pieces and if you do wind up using dual sphericals then make sure you get left handed thread on one side to make adjustments a lot easier... i know these are basic dos and donts but they often get overlooked

1 - 11 of 11 Posts