Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about throwing some Bushwacker Cutouts on my 91. Due to a little bit of rust around the rear fender wells, I have to do some cutting anyway. Anyone out there have opinions on them? Pros...Cons?

Viffer...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Use the semi wheel lining stuff. It is sold by the foot and looks just as good. Search around and you can find details/pics/pricing.

Tim

·
Registered
73 Posts
I tried to use them to cover up the rust on my '87, and I have to say they failed miserably. They screw into the underside of the fender (the part that is rusted out), and these particular ones came with glue to attach them to the body. The "glue" didn't hold very well, that combined with the screws that couldn't be installed because the fender was rusted out in the first place made for a lousy install. It was just a matter of time before they fell off. I just took them off about a week ago. I would recommend welding in some replacement panels for the fender rather than cover it up with Bushwackers. Rust looks wwwwaaaaayyyy better than Bushwackers IMO.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used the semi truch wheel lining that is a quarter round stuff that screws into the fender side and not the under side. So far it works great but will not know until after this how they perform offroad.After this weekend I will post a picture as well as areport to what I think of them. Just one word of advice do not use a tire grover to cut the material as it creates alot of smoke.

:bs They break realy easy my friend has gone through about 2 1/2 sets and when he breaks the rest of them as he still has 2 he will be trying the semi wheel well stuff. It is also half the price or less. Mine cost me 65 for the rear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, since I'd spend about $400 for Bushwackers I might just get the quarter panels. I found some aftermarket replacements for $199 each at a distributer about an hour from my home.
This is getting a little off topic...but, I've read where some people use adhesive to attach new quarter panels...others who have MIG welded them. I have a Lincoln MIG welder, so I planned to just use it to attach them. I realize that I'd have to be careful of warping the metal with the welder, my reason for asking about the adhesive.
Also, any of you out there who have replaced the quarters...how did you reattach the inner fender to the new quarter?

Thanks!

Viffer...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
bushwankers were the biggest mistake I have ever made :banghead

as you can see .. I still need to take the fronts off :shrug

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
adhesive for quarter panels? ive never heard of this, and if i didnt, i wouldnt do it.

to make sure you dont warp the metal, you have to spot weld pretty much the whole seam. tack it up in place, then spot weld every 2 inches. go back to beginning and spot next to the first set. it will take a while, but will come out nice if you do it right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Damager...

...what size / kind of jobox do you have there? I'm looking at doing something similar so I can take the roof off. Would the one that you have fit behind the rear seat (rear of the wheel wells)?

Carry on,
Ryan

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question but it should fit behind the wheel wells, Damager has it sitting in between the wheel wells in that pic. IIRC, Damager still has the rear seat in, it's just folded up....:thumbup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts