Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bronco just caught fire tonight. I guess a few wires on the alternator harness finally got their insulation rubbed off and shorted. Completely destroyed the harness and I assume the alternator as well. Anyway, I was really lucky that the previous owner had installed a fire extinguisher. I probably never would have done it and would have been shit out of luck without it. All I have to replace is the alternator, harness, and extinguisher, instead of god knows what. So, for anyone who doesn't have one, I'd highly recommend it. Who knew that the small amount of plastic on the harness clips could cause that much smoke...

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Fire Extinguishers Rock, especially in time of need

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
I haved one on my cherokee. Just haven't got around to putting one on my bronco yet. I was a military firefighter and just to let y'all know make sure it is a CO2 extinguisher. class ABC powder units have a highly corrosive powder and will do more harm than good to electrical devices.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
Glad to hear that. I've had one in mine for a while now(ever since I invested another $5,000 in it with my 351 swap and motor mods) but hopefully never have to use it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turp,
Good point about CO2. My extinguisher was the chemical kind, but since the alternator was destroyed by the fire, this time I don't think any more harm was done. Next one will be CO2. Actually, if you think about it, having one of each and knowing the circumstance in which to use it would be ideal.

Those Sparco systems are NICE!

·
green ones make me horny
11,156 Posts
i got one in mine the day i got it. i figured it was leaking so much oil it is a good thing to have...lol

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
Halon is good but it is also a health hazard. It displaces oxygen from the atmosphere and is heavier than air so if it is inhaled can be fatal because you can't exhale it out of your lungs.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I've got mine screwed to the floor right next to the drivers seat on the outboard side. Figured it was the best spot. Easy to grab when jumping out and even easier if I'm allready outside the truck. I like the roll bar mounts, but I'd hate to have to fumble around the truck trying to get it in an emergency.

·
Well Done Man!
1,619 Posts
turp said:
I haved one on my cherokee. Just haven't got around to putting one on my bronco yet. I was a military firefighter and just to let y'all know make sure it is a CO2 extinguisher. class ABC powder units have a highly corrosive powder and will do more harm than good to electrical devices.
BUT a C02 one does not work very well on a brush fire. (like ones found when 4 wheeling).
I carry an Dry Chemical, yes the powder is a PITA to clean up, but, rather that then watch something burn to the ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts