Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 F150 with 200,600 miles. It still runs decent with a few small issues. Doesnt use oil and doesnt smoke. It has been worked hard all its life and is in need of about $5000 worth of work (brakes, tires, suspension, engine, transmission, interior). I have a lawn service and another part time job. I was thinking of buying a "new used" truck, a 2004 F150. I know money wise it makes better sense to rebuild my old one but I am concerned about down time while doing all this. I am also thinking no matter how much I work on it its still gonna be an old truck. Is there anything that isnt serviceable or replaceable? What do you think?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
it is a very common vehicle. perhaps one of the most common. There is nothing on it that aint repairable or replaceable. prioritize it. engine/tranny first, brakes, suspension, then interior. I can see the engine and tranny being about 4g in itself. brakes 400 if you do it. suspension same as brakes, interior, well you said it was a work truck

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd buy another and drive the old one till it dies. $5000 will get you a nice one.
JMO

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Depends on which way you want to look at it. 92 is going to be cheaper and you won't have a payment, but may have some downtime due to emergency repairs.

04 or so, Yea it will be newer but this is the more expensive option. You will have a fixed payment every month, insurance will be higher, gas mileage may be higher and you will be more tapped if an emergency repair comes up.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have all but decided to keep the old one and rebuild it. Like Imlikeojnow said, Im gonna prioritize it. Im starting with the brakes because nothin' else matters if I cant stop! My booster and mc are toast and my pedal goes way low before I start stopping. Anyway, thanks for the replies. Any links to parts suppliers you have dealt with would be appreciated...

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had a friend's uncle tell me he will swap out my motor and trans for $700 and guarantee my truck back to me within 2 days. :shocked Now I just need to find a donor engine and trans...the same friend also said he knows a kick ass paint and body man, too...:chili:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts