Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy here in Tulsa has a 90 bronco 351 4x4, auto, black with tan top.

The engine/trans/eearend were rebuilt 41k miles ago.

Undercaprrage seems fine.

Has minor rust on both rear fenders and the paint is decent but faded a little in places.

Wants2000$

What should I ask about?

What trans did they hook to this years? Transfer case? Any weaknesses??

Anything I should look for?

Thanks in advance guys!!:chili:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Bronco uses, u mean you could buy them new...

take it for a test drive, see how it feels and see if it leaks any fluids

·
Registered
228 Posts
Look for rust forming in the cab corners and where the body mounts to the frame. Take it for a drive, make sure it steers fine, leaks, funny noises, stops, etc. One man's rebuilt trans is another mans' can of stop-leak. Get a receipt from that repair. He should have that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
test drive on Saturday. Runs fine no noises.

The rebuilds happened when his boss owned it but I'll ask about receipts.

From Looking under it there is very minimal rust where the frame/body meets or anywere else for that matter just the surface specks that are expected.

Any info on the trans/tcase?

And yeah I know you can't buyem new but I'm used to dealing with Explorers, which you can buy new.

Thanks again

·
Registered
228 Posts
If it has 3 speeds no OD, its a C6 (most likely). If it has overdrive, its an E4OD (most likely) or AOD (least likely) The transfer case is B&W 1356, theres a manual shift version with a floor lever and a button-engage with electronic shifting and front hubs.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
351 didn't come with an AOD except in a few crown vics as far as I know. If it has an OD button on the shifter then it's an E4OD, if it doesn't it's a C6, if it's a stick it is an M5OD. All rules go out the window if it was swapped though. Look up the VIN with a VIN decoder (google is your friend) and you should be able to find out what all it came with (gears, tcase, trans, motor, paint scheme, etc, etc).

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Thought 90 was the first year for a AOD in a bronco. But just look for the normal problems rust seems minor and as long as there isn't any weird noises should be fine and good to roll.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

It's a manual transfer case but I didn't think to check the column shifter for an odbutton.

what do you guys think about the price?

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
1990 351s were the first year to the have the e4od.

That truck came stock with an e4od. I guarantee.

1356 t-case, 8.8 rear axle, dana 44 ttb front axle.

I wouldn't pay anymore than 1500/1700.

Hopefully when the transmission was rebuilt they put the updates on it, 1995 e4od got the final update.
It's about $1800 or so to rebuild that transmission. Atleast it was a few years ago.

Only weakness is the e4od needs big transmission cooler. Make sure the fluid smells good, is not black.

It is a heavy duty transmission, even the 7.3 diesels and 460s had it for a transmission. It just needs a big transmission cooler and good fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great news man!

I was hopeing it wouldn't be a c6. It's a great trans and all but I needs tha overdrive!

Glad to hear it's a heavy duty trans and I'll be sure to check the fluid when I'm out there.

So what was the rated horsepower/torque on these puppies?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There is a "sticky" in the 'Have a bronco question? We have an answer! ' forum that lists all the specs you are looking for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts