Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my brother hooked on broncos and he is looking to buy one. He found an 86 with 120,000 miles with a 302 for $2600. The price seems alittle steep to me but what are some things I should tell him to look for. I'm gonna go look at it with him next. Isn't that the year they tried a funky suspension setup?

·
Registered
787 Posts
There's nothing "funky" about the suspension on an '86 Bronco.
It's all the same.

$2600 does sound a bit steep unless there are upgrades that warrant the higher price, and everything else is in good condition.

As for what to look for just look for everything you'd normaly look at on a 18 year old truck with 120K miles.

With Broncos I think the most important thing to look closely for is rust, or evidence of shoddy repairs made to the rusted panels.

Look closely at the:
-Roof corners
-Rear wheelwells
-Lower quarter panels near the doors
These are all part of the body tub, and are expensive to fix properly (or take a lot of time if you fix it yourself).

Check for rust on the frame too.

Also look for rust on the gas tank, skidplate, and the tailgate. These are easier to fix becaise it's all bolt-on stuff, but is pricey.

Other than the rust everything else on a bronco can be fixed by basic "remove and replace" methods.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
My best advice is...for him to be patient....$2600 is high, unless, like ValkariaKid said, it has a ton of mods...and it'd have to be alot for me to pay that much!! He don't have to buy a Bronco today ya know....I paid $3300 for a 94...thats 8 years newer for less than $1000 more than what they're asking for the 86.....so with that math even if he wants to stay in the $2600 range I would think he should be able to get a little closer to the '90's than an '86...just my .02

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got my 90 302 for $2200 with very little rust (big deal for MN) and virtually no body rust. It did have 156,000 miles on it but.....oh well :)

I think you can do better....keep looking

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
I got my 86 for $500 :shrug

but this is what I have done to it .... plus more that isn't listed

Eddie Bauer Edition - stock 302
* Replaced engine with EFI 302 from '91 F-150
* New HD Starter
* New Starter Relay
* New HD 130amp Alternator
* New HD Battery
* New Ball Joints
* New U-Joints
* New Axle Seals Front and Rear
* New Warn Premium Hubs
* Fenders Trimmed and Bushwacker Cut Out Flares installed
* Chipped, Hammered and Ground down all rust under entire truck - axles, floor pans, frame, wheelwells, etc
* Undercoated Completely with POR-15 Rust preventitive Paint
* 35x12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
* Black 15x10 Rock Krawler Rims
* Sanded and painted the top with Krylon
* Brand New Gas Tank and Sending Unit
* New Master Cylinder and Brake Booster from F250
* 700 WATT Power Inverter Mounted in Glove Box
* RAM Tow Hooks in Front
* Grill Guard with Dual 100 Watt Lights
* New Heater Core
* 6" BDS Suspension Lift with Extended Radius Arms
* Braided Brake Lines Front/Rear
* Extended Differential Breather Lines
Drivetrain: stock TTB front and 8.8 rear with Limited Slip

·
Registered
990 Posts
Check out if the rear window works. They have alot of problems.

I bought my truck for $500 and I think I still got a good deal on it, eventhough it needs a new engine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info I told him to let this one go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got my 86 for $1000. The motor was bad and I replaced it with one out of a wrecking yard. So, out the door I spent about $1750. It needs a lot if interior work, but at least I picked it up for cheap. Also, a little rust never hurt anything. I mean, if you just see little specs in certain areas, it's not *that* big of a deal if the price is right. My rear tailgate is full of rust, but I know down the line it will get replaced. My door panels look awful too. But that's what buying a old rig is all about. The pleasure of bringing something that was destined for the junk yard, back to life!!!! Besides, the 86 was the last year that it looked like a real truck with the big beefy grill in front!

Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts