Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. I may be buying an 88 bronco with 96,000 miles on a 302. I am new to the bronco thing but not to 87-93 mustangs. I gained alot of experience and brain power with these cars so I know what to look for and what to stay away from most of the time, unless its something I just have to have.

Anyways my question is how does $2,000 sound for this bronco. It has a little rust in the same old places that I have seen before, bottom of doors, tailgate edges, rear finder lip and edges. Most of this probably can be sanded and prevented to spred. I am looking for something that I can rebuild but I don't want to tear into it to deep yet I guess. It will be my new project, just wanted some opinons.

Oh ya its anautomatic with push botton 4X4.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Sounds like a fair price. Offer 1600 for it, and haggle from there, you might get it cheaper. Or, offer 1700 cash, and be firm about it. Obviously, drive it before you make an offer

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that makes me feel better about the truck. He was asking $2300 for it and I offered him $2000. I may push my luck and see if he will sell it for less.

I have heard that in 87 the broncos had a problematic front suspension, something about the axles and hubs or something. I was wondering if this is carried over to the 88. It maybe something I will stay away from. My question is, was 88 a good year for bronos? Anything I need to know about or look for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
87 has the undesirable hat-style hubs - similar to what the earlier - 84-89(?) - Rangers have. All 80+ broncos have a TTB front end, unless it's been swapped(not likely, since those that have done the SAS rarely sell theirs), and 83+ have the 8.8" rear end. Not like the mustang's tho, these are not only wider, but are 31 splines (I've got no idea if the stangs ever had 31 splines, but the cars generally have 28)

I don't evne know what other specs it'll have, so I'll let those that have those year of Broncos give you more details

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
My 89 has been pretty reliable, I've never heard about anything specific with the 88's front axle. Most on here will tell you if your planning to do any serious off-roading your gonna wanna swap out the front axle. The TTB setup has severall relibility issues due it's design. But so do all the 80-96 bronco's. But for the average weekend rock warrior it's alright. I havn't broke anything yet, but when I start then I'll swap into the bigger axle. The auto hubs suck and should be swapped out when you get time. They are notorious for failures and the fix is around a 100.bux..Good luck with your purchase. Stop back in with some pics after you get it---Take care---Fog

Looks like David beat me to it-----Fog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool I am likeing what I am hearing. Thanks for all the input I really do appreciate it all. I will post up some picks as soon as I get it home.

The truck will mainly be a project to have to work on and keep myself entertained. We go to the beach down near Chorpus Christy to do some surf fishing (I from Fort Worth, TX) on the Padre Island National Sea Shore for those who know were I am talking about. The fishing is great, but you have to have 4x4 to get to some places and what better than to have a bronco. That will probably be just about the only major offroading it will see, maybe a mud puddle here and there.

Thanks,

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
The bronco will be the perfect fishing machine...Pop the top off and go cruising along the beach. That'll be pretty sweet... Enjoy.......Fog

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I have an 87/88 Bronco. I was "told" by the Ford Folks that my Bronco was built during the time the years change on thier models..

But, I haven't had any major (knock on wood) problems with it. Little things. It is my daily driver and has been very reliable. Even with it being stock, gears and such. It climbs.. I dont' have the "push" button 4x4 deal though. That kind of thing worries me. I want manual everything. Hubs, manually shit into 4 wheel. I am just paranoid I guess. heehehe.. My bud has a 91 and the push button 4x4 and words well ..

Make sure when you test drive it, to put it in to 4-wheel. listen for any loud noises. (grinding, knocks, et). Take it up an easy hill, or even the curb to see if it is engaged...

I am sure this has already been done. but, just some advice..

Broncos are awesome machines and can be fixed up nicely.

First thing???
Drop out the 302 and throw in a 351!!!!! Just kidding..

Hope you enjoy . And 2,000 sounds fair. I wish I got mine for that price..:shrug

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry it took so long to get back.

Thanks for all the heads up I will keep all this in mind come this weekend.

Oh ya the 351 is in the future.:beer :beer

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I am not sure how much work would go into putting a 351 in it, not sure if the bolt patterns are the same to connect to the tranny... But, my bro has a Bronco with a 302 in it, .30 over with a beefed up cam and headers.. There is a major difference in power between his and mine.. I know why,but, it is just killer with a 351 in there..

First great step is getting a Bronco in the first play..:thumbup

·
Registered
506 Posts
I love my 88, but it's slightly modified I guess. :shrug Yeah the 87-88 have some issues with the front end because the bearings are very close to each other to make room for the hat hubs. They are a little goofy, but nothing too major. Besides, if it becomes an issue to you there are several fixes, all require a little dumpster diving, which are great for cheap bastards like me. I won't go into them here, but pm me if you are interested. The biggest thing to be careful of in 88 is the tranny. is it a 4 speed auto or 3 speed? The 3 speeds are damn near bulletproof C6s. If it is the four speed you have the AOD. If you know 5.0s, then you should know this tranny and it's strengths and weaknesses. Be sure that the tranny is in good shape or you could be in for a rebuild that costs half what you paid for the whole truck or more. All in all I think there is little to worry about if the rig has been taken care of. Hope to see more of you on the board.:thumbup

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is there to expect on up grading to warn manual hubs on this kind of frontend?

Yes its an automatic that is what I figured the tranny was an AOD. They do have some strength issues, hopefully nothing I will be doing will put it to the test. From what I understand this tranny is not cpu controlled so that will leave me with some options. How does a C6 do on the freeway? I had a few freinds that had C4's in their mustangs, boy they were not freeway freindly at times. Depending on distance to the track, and gearing too.

Its got the push boton 4x4 and from what I have read I am getting questionable about this, but I do plan on switching to a manual t-case so I can take control, but that will come in time I guess. It will not be may daily driver, just a big toy I guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well the 88 sold and I have found an 87 that is in better shape, I guess it happened for a reason. The hubs on the 87, is that and easy upgrade to the better hubs or is it a PITA?

This bronco seems to be in really good conditiong and I am excited about it, hoping this is the one!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Another thing you can do, if not already , is get the VIN # of the 87 Bronco.. Go online to carfax.com and for 15 bucks, you will get the history of the Bronco..well, as much as you can of it. if the VIN was recorded.. I did that with mine.. LIttle piece of mind if anything else..

I have the c6 tranny and it seems to do well on the highway. Haven't had any probs in 6 yrs,.. KNOCK ON WOOD> hehe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got lucky again and found an 89 that was in great shape with no rust and heck no dirt or mud on it. Hard to beleive.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,221 Posts
I think it's the manual hubs on the 87/88 Broncos that are the ones to stay away from. The AOD and electric-shift 4wd have some reliability issues. But if you find an 87-91 Bronco in good shape for under $2K, it's a deal. I use my 84 down here on Matagorda Beach, abd have been to N.Padre Island a few times. THe Bronco was made for just this kind of fun!!!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,652 Posts
All the 87/88's that had manual hubs (that ive ever seen anyway) were the flange-style hubs.
I know everyone talks smack about them, but ive got em, and so far have been unable to break them. Hell, i even had one come off my truck at 45mph (lost a wheel) and i still wasnt able to break it!
Of course now that i typed this im sure ill grenade one the next time i lock 'em in :p

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
My manual hubs on my rig have been doing well too.. No overdrive on my tranny.. I can't seem to get too confident with all that auto 4 wheel garb. I am looking to get another Bronco. Probably the same year as mine now. I wanted a newer model. 93 or so. But, once again. that auto crap ain't gonna work for me.... I want to have that "slam her in gear" feeling when I am out trailing. :hump

1 - 20 of 20 Posts