Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a few months (5-6) and I found a '79 already done. Only issue is that owner says it is leaking from rear main seal...a little puddle when it sits. I am not a mechanic, but am learning and can do just about anything with instructions (calipers, radiators, differentials). Is there a really good way to tell exactly what is leaking if I cannot get my mechanic to it? I feel I could repair the main seal on my own after reading on the forum, just looking for some extra confidence when I go look at it.

Thanks for any advice!!!

http://ashtabula.craigslist.org/cto/1730052023.html

Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a hella of a job!

If you haven't done one before get a mechanic friend or pay! It's not that it is complicated but the rope seal if not done right will leak again! Plus if you nick the new seal going in it will leak! It is always best to slightly loosen the other main caps and take some pressure off the crank! If there are any tricks I don't know of any but some of the guys on the board are more well versed than I on these Bronco's. This is my first also! I have done many other rope seals though! Good luck! Looks nice too!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,187 Posts
that seems a little pricey for something with a leaking rear main seal.
Also it says the motor was just redone, I would wonder if the other stuff was done right since the seal was not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did get him to drop his price, I have not seen it in person yet, so nothing is in stone. I should be seeing it on Thursday and will find out more about the engine and who did it. My understanding is that the body was most of the "redone" but the engine was not rebuilt...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Seems a little pricey to me as well, and I'd have the same concerns as crazybroncoguy. As for your question...I just did it a couple weeks ago and was the first time I replaced a rear main with the engine still together in a vehicle. Here's what I did:

-Remove oilpan.
-remove rear cap tap out rear main seal
-replace seal (should be about a 1/4" off center...and some silicone is involved) Some guys work the seal over with a flat blade and others roll the crank
-replace bearing cap and re tighten to specs
-install new pan gasket
-tighten oil pan gasket to spec

Should be able to replace a rear main in these motors in no more than a couple of hours.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your info so far. I did get him easily to 5k on the phone...but I think I am going to make sure I take it to my mechanic before I do anything serious. Plus, it is a 20 mile drive to the shop...give me a better feel for it...it is hard because I have missed a few nice 79's in the area and do not want to miss another one...in the same respect - every time I miss one...another one pops up!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MAJOR UPDATE!!

So...this truck is worth less that its' terrible paint job!!! Took it 2 miles to shop to put on a lift...NEVER RESTARTED and started spewiing oil EVERYWHERE!!! Entire truck was a junkyard truck redone to CRAP TRUCK!!! Steer away if you see it!

...still looking for truck..

Jeff

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
So...this truck is worth less that its' terrible paint job!!! Took it 2 miles to shop to put on a lift...NEVER RESTARTED and started spewiing oil EVERYWHERE!!! Entire truck was a junkyard truck redone to CRAP TRUCK!!! Steer away if you see it!

...still looking for truck..

Jeff

That sir...is what you call polishing a turd...make it look all nice and shiny until some sucker is willing to fork over some cash.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Way to go Brother steering clear of the mine fields.........

I know this may sound wierd but try to visualize for a few minutes each day "exactly" ie: color, engine , etc. etc. what you want in the BKO your're looking for, ask the universe and put it out there.

There are Ahoo's out there trying to unload Turd's all the time but don't let it get you down but rather be patient, dilligent and the right one will come to you....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts