Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I am in the market for a new DD. I am really clueless as to what i should get. ok, i am not clueless, i am thinkin early-mid ninties toyota 4x4 pickup truck. It wont get wheeled, but i was wondering what yall thought??? any advice? other car suggestions?? i am still very much undecided. my limit is about 10,000. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
527 Posts
if you want a truck I would go with a ~90 ranger with a 5-speed. Or from what I have gathered rangers are pretty damn reliable trucks regardless of what you get.

You can also get a 4cyl 2wd 5-speed well running ranger over the 30mpg mark with some narrow tires and some gingerly driving.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
do you need/want a small pickup to put stuff in the back. if so i would say a mid 90's ranger or toyota. the yota will prolly run you more though or atleast where i am it will cause rangers are going dirt cheap. just test drive the stuff and make sure you want it cause my boss has an 04' civic and i hate driving it. IMO its the most uncomfortable turd i have ever been in.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
96broncoman said:
I am in the market for a new DD. I am really clueless as to what i should get. ok, i am not clueless, i am thinkin early-mid ninties toyota 4x4 pickup truck. It wont get wheeled, but i was wondering what yall thought??? any advice? other car suggestions?? i am still very much undecided. my limit is about 10,000. thanks for your input.

if you aren't going to wheel it, i wouldn't bother. I would go honda/toyo or a TDI VW if you can find one. Save the money for the bronco, build it big and wheel the hell out of it.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
rugerp89ipsc said:
if you aren't going to wheel it, i wouldn't bother. I would go honda/toyo or a TDI VW if you can find one. Save the money for the bronco, build it big and wheel the hell out of it.
I agree totally, unless you NEED the utility of a pickup.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
WTF do you want a 4wd truck for if you're not going to wheel it? You're trying to save money on gas, right? So then why pay more money for an option you're not going to use which only creates more drivetrain loss, resulting in worse mileage?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Buy your toyota. 1 thing tho. make sure you change the timing belt every 90k miles. a toyota will run longer, better and more efficiently than any other small 4 wheel drive pickup. all it needs is maintenance.

P.S. just because you own a 4wd doesn't mean you have to wheel it. We've owned a fullsize 4x4 chevy for 14 years and the most offroad it's seen is crusin down a gravel road

·
Lick my
2,087 Posts
A Toyota is the way to go. Most late 80s-early 90s Toyotas have the semi-indestructable (if you change the timing belt every 70-90k) 22R motor which can go on forever.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I picked up a sweet DD three years ago; '90 Thunderbird SC. She had a blown head gasket, so I got her for cheap.

The day I got her:

After three years of lovin':

She's comfy, cruises like a Cadillac, gets 22+ mpg on the highway (which is most of my driving), and she can hang with the big boys when you put the pedal down. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No Jap car please. We have enough of them here in the U.S. already.:twak

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
SquattyD said:
hes buying a used car. its not like hes having a skyline flown in from japan. youre just jealous the japanese make better commuter cars than the big 3 can.:goodfinge

Better cars my ass.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i would say get a 2wd f-150, theres nothin like drivin a fullsize truck. I am partial to them myself. My '02 f150 is great, i love it. The 4.2 v6 in fron of the 5spd with 3.50 gears gets on up the road. Gets 20mpg too with the a/c goin full blast. Comfortable ride, looks good, lots of power options. I like it.

My buddy has a 99 ranger 5spd 2wd with a 3.0L V6 (i think) that thing knocks down 25mpg and is damned fast for a little truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts