Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having no clue about anything I might be looking for a used engine for my 88. I found this on CL http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/5092132540.html

Since I'm at the mercy of the seller what should I look for. Get them to do a compression test while I'm there? Anything else? it says covered to carb do I just take off all the injection parts from my current 88 and slap them on?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I sourced a low mileage '96 explorer 5.0 motor at my local auto recycler for $450.

Had proof of compression certificate, and came w/ a 6 month warranty.

JY engines can be had locally, or online sources like ebay.

Just another route to consider.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sourced a low mileage '96 explorer 5.0 motor at my local auto recycler for $450.

Had proof of compression certificate, and came w/ a 6 month warranty.

JY engines can be had locally, or online sources like ebay.

Just another route to consider.
Yah I'll be phoneing the wreckers but with 10X+ as many cars in US you'd got the smorgasbord of cars to choose from. They have one from an 97 explorer.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok one wrecker has several but no compression tests and 90 day warranty. What year and car model are compatible with my 88 with just using straight Bronco parts. They have a 97 explorer with a 302.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The explorer motor will have GT-40 heads, and possibly intake. I would say it is actually a more powerful motor, than what your 88 came with stock. I see no reason why everything would not bolt up, though, if swapping out a 302 for another.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,097 Posts
The explorer motor will have GT-40 heads, and possibly intake. I would say it is actually a more powerful motor, than what your 88 came with stock. I see no reason why everything would not bolt up, though, if swapping out a 302 for another.
:stupid

But remember the distributor gear must be steal to go with this motor as it will be fitted with a roller cam.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Also, the explorer motors will not have thermactor ports on the heads, so you would not be able to retain that part of your emissions system, if that is a concern for you.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Also, the explorer motors will not have thermactor ports on the heads, so you would not be able to retain that part of your emissions system, if that is a concern for you.
Did some reading on that. If it is an early 97, it will have plugs, in the holes, for the ports. If it is the newer GT-40P heads, found on later model 97's, they will not have anything at all there. The EGR system was different, in the explorer. Might not be a problem, if you can get the whole motor, with its emissions parts intact.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe if they are not part of the new vehicle they don't need to be on the vehicle that is getting the transplant as long as its older than the engine donor. So as long as I used the emissions parts from the donor I "should" be ok.

So looking for an early 97 Explorer motor is what I should be doing then, one that has the holes plugged up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts