Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched but cant find what i was looking for. I thought I remembered someone talking about swapping the front yoke on their 1356 to a flange. Raf was that you? Anyhow, anyone ever done it, know what the costs are and where to get the flange?

Also, does anyone know if any ford drivelines came with a stock 1350 CV. i need to put a CV on my front shaft now with this 60 and was hoping to find some junkard shaft I could lengthen or shorten rather than having a new shaft made for big bucks?

·
huh
7,195 Posts
just used a spare flange from my old tcase.. i put it on the front output.
the other part i got from zach. forgot what he got it off of.. maybe you can make out the numbers on it..

looks like f65w to me.. has an R3 on the right and a ford logo on the left..

T

·
0 Posts
An F350 will have the front shaft you want. It uses the 1350's it will have a CV joint in it already. Find one, shorten it if needed, (probably won't) and you are good to go.
I had one built from scratch for my F250 it cost $200. + $70 for the proper yoke.

Why would you want a Flange, isn't your yoke fixed already?

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, I have the fixed yoke but need to run a cv. Now that i am thinking about it tho, i guess I could run the cv without the flange and just use the yoke. thanks, been a long day. But, how would you get the cv lined up? What am I missing here?
I do however want to run 1350 If i am going to have a custom shaft built, which means I need either a crossover joint (which I dont really want) or a different yoke (1350) at the tcase
I figured with a flange, i could easily run a 1330 or 1350 without ever changing the case side of it again.

T

·
0 Posts
You will need to buy a yoke for the front of the Transfercase. Part number
E7TZ-7B214-C.

You cannot use a cross over yoke with a CV joint. You are stuck because of the size, and mounting of the CV.

F350 from atleast '92-'97 used a series 1350 front shaft with a CV joint. If you ask the driveline shop to copy a F350 shaft, and tell them the length you want. Swap the yoke and it will bolt in.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i just was told I could have daves spare case, that has a flange on the rear that I will try. Is the depth right on the flange compared to the fixed yoke????

I need to run a cv due to bad front vibes when in 4wd after the 60 swap. When we set the castor, it pointed the pinion right at the tcase. That is why i am trying to do this. I know that our rear flange will bolt right up to Jesse's 1350 flange, but the extra cost may not be worth the upgrade from a 1330 to a 1350. Still trying to figure my options

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Traveler said:
F350 from atleast '92-'97 used a series 1350 front shaft with a CV joint. If you ask the driveline shop to copy a F350 shaft, and tell them the length you want. Swap the yoke and it will bolt in.
I'm not so sure. I've got the front d/s from a '97 F350 and it's identical to my Bronco. Maybe the E4OD eliminated the need for a CV?

Also I very much doubt very many, if any, F350s got 1350 front driveshafts. All the D60 swaps I've seen, the yoke bolted right up to a Bronco d/s. Since the Bronco front shaft is 1330 the donor truck couln't have possibly had 1350s

T

·
0 Posts
That's right, Ford went away from that shaft after '95.
I ran into that when I have one made. 1995 was the last year for the 1350 with the CV joint.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Traveler said:
That's right, Ford went away from that shaft after '95.
I ran into that when I have one made. 1995 was the last year for the 1350 with the CV joint.
Ah, so '92-95 F350s might have front CV with 1350s? Good to know. I've never looked into 92+ much 'cause of the ball joints, aside from the '97 parts truck Nathan bought

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at a coworkers new (02ish)f350 with the diesel and it has a cv front. I was inuniform, so couldnt get too under there to see what size caps, but they are still make cv's for them

i ended up pulling a flange off a rear output (1356) like raf and am taking one of my spare rears and having the cv put on the front shaft. I am currently 4 deg. Shawn, with 7deg bushings. My vibe starts about 15 mph and just get worse from there. I know I could go to 5 or less bushings, but I want a permenant solution, not a bandaid. i want to be able to run it at 55 in 4wd if necessary, and not just push the vib off till 30 ro 40 mph.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got dblues extra cae and flange today, here are a few comparo shots

flange on rear as stock

rear flange on front

A couple of shots of the output shafts on my superford if anyone is interested.

It should work perfectly, and cheaply(is that a word) :brownbag

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not sure I understand what you are asking, but I will answer this

the spare shaft was a Pick and pull special at half off. the advantage to the flange is i can run a CV to the best of my limited intellect, that is the only way to have a cv.
I figured since you really dont hear of that many shaft failure with 1330's, i would just stay with that for now, save the money, and try and do a doubler or something in the future. of course, i could pay off the 60 debt first, but why?

·
Registered
489 Posts
My 81 and 84 both have the yoke style CV (dual cardan type) on the rear. But, I'm looking to switch to the later Flange style output so I can run a Driveline brake easily (it can be done with a yoke but it's just simpler with a flange) The 1330 series was intro'd on 79 bronco's (prior was a 1310) and from what Steve says used at least up to '87 (I can confirm to 84).

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Yeah Damon, you don't need a flange to run a CV dude. Can be done with a yoke too, lots of Ford trucks had it.

*For the purposes of our discussion,* CV = Double Cardan. Semantics

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keith_L said:
Yeah Damon, you don't need a flange to run a CV dude. Can be done with a yoke too, lots of Ford trucks had it.

*For the purposes of our discussion,* CV = Double Cardan. Semantics
yeah, i wasnt sure, but the part was free and it would allow me to go to a 1350 if needed in the future, as they bolt right up to our flanges

T

·
0 Posts
Steve83 said:
Actually, you're thinking of a Double Cardan joint (DC) which is totally different from a Constant Velocity joint (CV). A DC merely splits the flex angle between 2 U-joints so there's no binding, but it does NOTHING for the angular velocity variations inherent to the U-joint design.

Your exactly right, but the industry is still in catch up mode on their name calling.
When I needed to replace the Cardan joint on my '71 Bronco, it was called a CV joint.
CV joints now a days are totally different. The term CV has hung to the Cardan joint in the parts stores I deal with.

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
If it's not constant velocity, how can we run with zero-angle at the axle-end of the shaft and not have major vibrations on the highway? :shrug

·
Registered
63 Posts
Traveler said:
Your exactly right, but the industry is still in catch up mode on their name calling.
When I needed to replace the Cardan joint on my '71 Bronco, it was called a CV joint.
CV joints now a days are totally different. The term CV has hung to the Cardan joint in the parts stores I deal with.
An Olds Bravada front shaft is Double Cardan joint, can be easily interchange at the slip joint for most any configuration. New off the shelf they are under $150.00

1 - 20 of 26 Posts