Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Im gonna give body work a try. Ive got new front fenders and my wife is going to buy me a pair of rear 1/4s for my birthday. She was going to buy me some wider rims so that the flares didnt look so bad but I think the stock wheels with stock fenders will look better. It will end up costing about the same as the wheels.
Im going to try to put these on this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Whats wrong with the fenders that are on it? Besides the flares? Cant you take them off and fill in the screw holes and paint or is there rust you are dealing with??

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
:rockon to stock fenders. It really does just look so much better with stock fenders and alot of rubber up in there :thumbup

Dunno if you've done a clip on one of these or not, but the first time i did one I had a helluva time getting the bolts that hold the fender on that you have to open the doors to get to.

I wound up having to put the socket on the bolt, come out with a 3/8 extension to the door, step down to a 1/4" to get by the door, and then step back up to a 3/8" to hook to the ratchet. A couple swivels would have made it easier, but just a heads up.

Justin

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:rockon to stock fenders. It really does just look so much better with stock fenders and alot of rubber up in there :thumbup

Dunno if you've done a clip on one of these or not, but the first time i did one I had a helluva time getting the bolts that hold the fender on that you have to open the doors to get to.

I wound up having to put the socket on the bolt, come out with a 3/8 extension to the door, step down to a 1/4" to get by the door, and then step back up to a 3/8" to hook to the ratchet. A couple swivels would have made it easier, but just a heads up.

Justin
I looked at the fenders to see where the mounting bolts are. I figure I can knock it out in a few hours. The swivels are a must. I've got swivel sockets.:thumbup
Im more worried about the 1/4s.

·
Registered
484 Posts
should you cut in the new fenders? Paint the back side that can be seen from the engine bay? I will be do the same install this spring. New fenders, and quarter panels. Good news is, I have a good friend who works in the body shop at the local gm dealer. He's going to help install, then paint the whole truck in the both. I only have to buy materials, but I will give him some kind of cash

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
should you cut in the new fenders? Paint the back side that can be seen from the engine bay? I will be do the same install this spring. New fenders, and quarter panels. Good news is, I have a good friend who works in the body shop at the local gm dealer. He's going to help install, then paint the whole truck in the both. I only have to buy materials, but I will give him some kind of cash
They're painted black on the back. My freind and his dad own a body shop. I cant get as good of a deal as you but it well be better than paying full price. He is going to help me put the 1/4s on and we're going to paint the truck black for now.

·
Registered
484 Posts
when I bought my after market hood awhile back, it was the same black. Its basically a primer. I put the hood on while it was just black and it faded real bad and became all chalky looking. I plan on scuffing the back sides of the fenders and having my friend shoot a quick coat of paint on them. Plus my truck isn't black. I've seen some good write ups on removal and installation of quarter panels

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
when I bought my after market hood awhile back, it was the same black. Its basically a primer. I put the hood on while it was just black and it faded real bad and became all chalky looking. I plan on scuffing the back sides of the fenders and having my friend shoot a quick coat of paint on them. Plus my truck isn't black. I've seen some good write ups on removal and installation of quarter panels
the black is just a primer to protect the metal...you should always "jamb" the back side of any panel before installing...some panels will require clear, some will not.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i like the stock fender look better bruce. good call on the swap. let me know if you might need any help when yall go to do the quarters.
I like the stock look too plus I can keep the stock wheels with out it looking gay. I really like the stock EB wheels.
I think when it done Im going with the stock paint. The original paint was like Calisa's truck.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
the black is just a primer to protect the metal...you should always "jamb" the back side of any panel before installing...some panels will require clear, some will not.
Yup

and it rusts through in no time flat, exposed to water. I can't tell you the number of pre-87' GM trucks running around here with half rusted off black replacement panels.

I caught this thread too late to recommend you get the parts painted and you pre-undercoat them too, I did.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well I put the driver side fender on today but the pictures will not load up. I'll try tomorrow. It just needs a little gap tweeking. It was a bitch it has been wrecked before.

Now this looks alot better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts