Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Broncoless
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i knew this day would come but i was hoping that it wouldnt be this soon. my tranny is going downhill and its going quick at this point. i went out of town this weekend (about an hour ride) and it started making some weird noises and shifting strange. and all this hits right after i just ordered a set of tires for the truck lastweek. i guess i cant win. oh well. it looks like im going to have to put my chebby back together and park the bronco till i get the money to do the rebuild. this sucks:cry

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
that sucks, I know how you feel

AODs blow

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Throw some lucas transmission fix in it and see if it buys you a few more months... it has me (my tranny was/is on its way out, put some of that in their as a last chance band aid and to three months later, my tranny is still going).... but dont do it unless you know for sure that thing is on its last legs.

·
Broncoless
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trust me it is. i was hesitant to drive it home yesterday because i thought it was going to come apart. ill try it and see what happens. hopefully it holds me over for a while untill i can get the parts for a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
trust me it is. i was hesitant to drive it home yesterday because i thought it was going to come apart. ill try it and see what happens. hopefully it holds me over for a while untill i can get the parts for a rebuild.
My experience was that, my trans was shifting really poorly and randomly would not shift into a neutral state when I stopped I(causing the bronco to stall), plus it was running hot (this is an E4OD). I diagnosed and replaced parts and the condition continued to happen... I was gettin ready to go on a weekend wheelin trip so as a last chance effort, I put a bottle of that stuff in. From that day, the trans has not stalled again. It still have some shifting issues at times, and when wheeling it got hot, but its still alive and actually performs better than it has for months. Its obviously not a fix, and if your trans is too far gone, it may not help but for 10 bucks, give it a shot... oh, and I would do it before you put any more miles and the truck if you can...

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
i knew this day would come but i was hoping that it wouldnt be this soon. my tranny is going downhill and its going quick at this point. i went out of town this weekend (about an hour ride) and it started making some weird noises and shifting strange. and all this hits right after i just ordered a set of tires for the truck lastweek. i guess i cant win. oh well. it looks like im going to have to put my chebby back together and park the bronco till i get the money to do the rebuild. this sucks:cry
I feel u man my bronco's e40d is going out sucks:popc1:

·
I see Broncos
6,031 Posts
Yea that does suck but it happens to the best of us. Hey just for shits and giggles check your TV (Passing Gear) cable. My old 88 cougar broke it's and started doing almost the same thing. A little bit of bailing wire and it was working like new again.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I recently had a scare with mine...it started leaking trans fluid pretty bad. It was still shifting strong, but I wasn't sure what to expect. I figured it was a seal...and thats what it turned out to be. The transfer case seal.

·
Broncoless
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wonder if it is the transfer case itself making all the noises and causing some of my issues. i know it has nothing to do with the shifting of the trans but if its screwed up then maybe im not feeling it shift properly because of it. ive got another case im going to go and get and try out and see what happens. i figured its worth a shot considering its free.

·
Like them tires spinnin'
846 Posts
Just my experiences, but I have not had any luck with Lucas tranny additive. I put it in, along with servicing my AOD when it would not get out of first gear. It didn't do anything and I still needed a rebuild. Same with my buddy's 4R100 in his Super Duty. Maybe E4OD's take it better, but they aren't much different from 4R100's. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Just my experiences, but I have not had any luck with Lucas tranny additive. I put it in, along with servicing my AOD when it would not get out of first gear. It didn't do anything and I still needed a rebuild. Same with my buddy's 4R100 in his Super Duty. Maybe E4OD's take it better, but they aren't much different from 4R100's. Good luck.
I think its a case by case basis TBH. Depending on whats wrong or if the trans is too far gone, its not gonna help much, if at all. I am tellin you though, it made an immediate difference in mine... for 10 bucks, cant hurt to try.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
i have an aod in my f150 that i plow with, would rather have a c6, much tougher tranny, and it drops gear quicker when you stomp on the skinny pedal.

·
Like them tires spinnin'
846 Posts
I think its a case by case basis TBH. Depending on whats wrong or if the trans is too far gone, its not gonna help much, if at all. I am tellin you though, it made an immediate difference in mine... for 10 bucks, cant hurt to try.
I would probably try it too. There is a possibility of the thickness of the Lucas fluid screwing up the tranny, its kind of a gamble.:popc1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts