Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what got me thinking about this last night, but it occurred to me that the skinny little opening at the grill drastically reduces the amount of air going into that large opening at the throttle body. I was thinking of bypassing it, but I'm not sure where to relocate a larger air intake (with the consideration that I don't want the intake at the grill, because I've submerged the front end before and sucked in water into the motor) and I was wondering if anyone has done this and maybe show some pics of their new location.

·
Registered
776 Posts
you mean that funny little plastic thing which sends air to the intake box? Mine didnt even have one. I now have a K&N thing I made (see superford) and I havent had any trouble.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TRUCKY18 said:
you mean that funny little plastic thing which sends air to the intake box? Mine didnt even have one. I now have a K&N thing I made (see superford) and I havent had any trouble.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. What did that cost you?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jrdbronco said:
IIRC, the booty fab K&N FIPK only costs around 60 bucks, thats including the filter
Thats not bad.
Too bad I already have a K&N filter in the factory set up. Oh well, I think it is a better way yo go. :thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jocko said:
Is the K&N solution less likely to suck water?
well yeah, instead of being right at the grill, it's further back. I would like to route the hoses to the fire wall. I'm gonna have to make some sort of an elbow to do that.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Anybody have this in their Bronco? I don't think it matters, but I have the 302 like it says over there
<----------------------
I tried to get the filtre but my parts guy can only find the kit, one filtre was found and I was quoted at $200. I'm not paying that much. So if you have this filtre, and payed less than $100, can you give me the part number?

·
Registered
784 Posts
i have a fipk. it mounts where the old airbox used to be. it really doesnt do nething for waterproofing since the bottom of the new filter is lower than the stock intake at the top of the grill. you may get a bit further into the water before the engine floods since its further back, which isnt a good thing. u could always snorkel or suck air from the passenger compartment.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts

Disregard the fact its going to the passenger side, my OBA is on the drivers side, and the TB on the 460 points straight ahead so I have my choice.

I removed the offending underhood pipe, but I still managed to suck in some water a few years ago. Kaudbron suggested flipping the bottom around, so I flipped the bottom of the air box around so its pointing at the fender.
No more intake below the hood waiting to suck in gallons of water like a vacuum...ending with this...

...and no more intake pointing at exhaust manifolds sucking in hot air. Slightly cooler air by the fenders helped greatly with the power drop off when the engine warmed up. Also its perfect for a snorkel hookup through the fender.

-Will

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
miketrains03 said:
i have a fipk. it mounts where the old airbox used to be. it really doesnt do nething for waterproofing since the bottom of the new filter is lower than the stock intake at the top of the grill. you may get a bit further into the water before the engine floods since its further back, which isnt a good thing. u could always snorkel or suck air from the passenger compartment.
Well, I don't do the offroading I used to, I'm more interested in the increased in airflow and horsepower compared to the stock set up. Eventually I will route the air filtre to the rear, at the firewall. Back when I was into serious off roading, I was going to hook up a selonoid, that when activated would stop all air coming in from the stock location and rather suck it in from either the firewall or the passenger compartment like you suggested. Who knows if I am motivated enough, I may do that as well.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will, I was thinking of disconnecting that hose from the grill too but like Im said earlier, if it is less than $100, I'll go the other way.

I see you have a york compressor. I'm buying one from Jackhart next week. I don't have the room you have in the engine compartment. I'm mounting mine underneath somewhere. I want to make a large capacity tank/tanks.

I was thinking this morning while looking through a catalog while sitting on my throne ...because I am routing the air to a holding tank, how would I divert the air once it reaches 120 PSI? I would have to use a pressure switch that diverts the air to the atmosphere I guess, right? Do you have any suggestions for me regarding the set up?

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Mine is real redneck. I am going to build a fiberglass snorkle when I get the time but for now I have the hillbilly look. It works.:toothless

I flipped the box and cut out the inner and outer fender with a bigger hole.

To keep fingers and stuff out I temporarily mounted a heater vent after removing the damper.

I got the fiberglass kit, I just need to make it.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
YEA! 90 beater has what I was talkin about. Except I'd get one of those neat lookin ARB snorkels designed for the passenger side.

RE: your OBA question..

the pressure switch turns off the clutch on the York compressor. It quits pumping air once it reaches the pre-set limit on the pressure switch. Once it drops below the pre-set value on the pressure switch, it engages the clutch and begins pumping air again.

You dont have room? What else you got on that 302?

-Will

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I see now what you were talking about Will, I will try that...except I don't think I will cut my fender.

I don't have room because I want or at least for now, I am planning on having a large storage capacity. I'm not too sure how I will do this, yet. The first thing I will do is mount the pump and see how it handles my impact without a tank and then I will go from there.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Marauder has a tankless OBA setup but Im not sure if he runs air tools.

What are you saying you dont have room for? All the red crap in my picture or the York itself? The red crap can go wherever you want. I just bought a small new compressor with all the stuff attached to the tank because it was much cheaper than buying components separately.

-Will

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kf4amu said:
Marauder has a tankless OBA setup but Im not sure if he runs air tools.

What are you saying you dont have room for? All the red crap in my picture or the York itself? The red crap can go wherever you want. I just bought a small new compressor with all the stuff attached to the tank because it was much cheaper than buying components separately.

-Will
I'm refering to the red tank. I plan om making my own tanks to fit underneath, haven't decided where yet. I will buy as big a diameter pipe I can fit in there and as long as possible in 2-3 locations. If this sounds stupid don't laugh or be a smart ass, I haven't actually crawled under the truck to see where everything will go. I'm just thinking out loud right now.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ford did their homework/location for air tank

Well, it would seem Ford did their homework. I went out to the garage
and was going to either flip the air box around or drill a bunch of holes in
the plastic air cleaner box. But first I decided to do some math and figure
out how large that opening was compared to the two intake hoses.
I didn't take out the micrometer or nothing, rather I took a rough
measurement and it would seem the area of the square opening at the
top of the grill intake is equal to the area of the two hoses, so I decided
not to do a flip or drill holes. I will however still buy that K&N air filtre if
the price is right.

LOCATION OF AIR TANK
OK, so these pics show the limited space I have in the engine compartment

But, if you look im the back where the rear end is, there is enough room
to put 1-2 large storage tanks. I knew there was a lot of room back there,
I didn't realize just how much. :thumbup

I should have put a familiar object up there to show how much room is t
here but all you have to do is go out and take a peak at yours.

·
Registered
784 Posts
the only good thing about the stock setup is that it draws cool air from the front of the truck rather than inside the engine compartment. im sure you'll be happy with the fipk though, it makes a nice whoosh noise when u punch it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts