Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing all the bushings in the front on my daily driven '79 and am looking for a little information.
I've tried to search so don't flame me too hard.

Can you guys direct me to an install link? Or better search words at least? I've read too many posts about what degree to run and oversized arms with drop brackets - no help :-(

My main questions are about the radius arm bushings and the c-bushings. Any tips & tricks would be appreciated. Can't seem to push the axle far enough forward to get the radius arm out of the frame bracket.
The c-bushings don't look too bad but since they were in the kit... Best way to do this in the truck? Or should I set them aside for when I can pull the entire axle?

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What if I say pretty please?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
You pretty much have to take everything free from the axle to get enough room to slide it forward to put in the C-bushings. If you pulled the front cap and have the suspension at full droop there is not enough room to do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I changed mine on my 78 a couple of weeks ago, I unbolted the brackets from the frame and slid them off of the arms to change that end.Seemed to be the easiest way for me.didn't evenhave to jack the truck up. I had the suspention out for a lift install when I did the c-bushings so it wasn't bad to slide the axle foward. Maybe you could use a com-a-long to pull the axle foward enough to get the c bushing out but I would agree with Ranger that the trac arm,shocks and spring will make it difficult. watch the brake hose too. I used 2 long bolt's One top and bottom to pull the "c" cap back on untill i could get the stock bolts to reach.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. I was seriously thinking about pulling the brackets off the frame last night but then thought I'd wait and ask to see if there was a better way. Guess they are coming off tonight.

How much do the C-bushings help/hurt on a daily driver. The ones on the truck are worn but don't look scary. If they will help out a bunch I'll change them now, if not I'll wait.

Thanks again, you guys are a big help.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
You wont believe the improvement after you replace all your bushings. It might be a lil more work but if you unbolt your shocks trac bar and unbolt the coils from the bronco. it make it real easy,and its maybe only another 30 or 45 min of work. Of course you need to have the front of the bronco up on jack stands. Make sure you clean all the dirt and rust off the axle where the C's go and the other end of the RA's to. You should paint the surface area for the bushing and apply some white lith grease.
Do the C bushing end first make sure you put the C bushing in the right way and double check it before you start the outer caps. Once you have the C bushing caps started and there a little snug, stab the rear of the RA in to the frame brackets.

·
Registered
513 Posts
When I installed my C bushings the instructions said use a come along...I said BS. I have never heard of such BS....

Come a-long is your friend......x2

I will read the instuctions better from now on...

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
If you dont have everything un bolted the come a long works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dropped the frame brackets and was done in about an hour! 6 bolts per side and only 2 are hard to get at - easy.
Replacing the trac bar bushings made a HUGE difference!!
What kind of a difference can I expect from changing out the c-bushings? Right now I plan on waiting until I do the shocks too.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
How was your trac bar bolt on the axle? i take it was still tight and not a hot dog thrown down a hall way like mine.. The C's will make a big diff to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bolt thru the new bushing was fine, but where it went thru the axle it was like it was too small. Not hogged out, but like it was missing a sleeve or something - perfectly round. I made a sleeve that fit tight with the correct ID/OD and torqued the crap out of the nut :D We'll see how long it will last.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
I just replaced every single bushing in the front end of my truck when I did the lift. Plus new rear leafs, I am excited to see how much better and smoother it rides. When I get my driveshafts lengthened that is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When they were new they actually handled well. As they get older you compensate for the slop. When I replaced mine I was pleased with how the truck handled and stopped. It actually stopped in a straight line.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've noticed a big difference already and I haven't done the c-bushings yet.
Took it out on the highway today for the first time since I did the rest of the front (everything but the c's) and WOW! what a difference. Before it was spooky because the steering was so loose and it would just drift a little without warning. It's doesn't feel like a sports car but it isn't scary either!
Now I'm going to have to get after those c's and the body mounts - I'm putting all new for the rear leafs & sway bar. I usually disconnect the sway bar but thought I'd at least try it out before ditching it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts