Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm pretty much ready to buy all junk to get the axles ready for my SAS/Rear swap. I'm getting a D44 Overhaul kit, 4.56R, 3.92-Up carrier, Spindle Bearing Repair Kit (x2), Balljoints, minispool/crosspin, gear install kit for the 9". I'm planning on ordering all of that from 4wheelcustoms here soon, and I figured while I'm getting all that I should get the C-bushing Kit. This is where I need help.

I'm planning on buying the B&T Rad Arm Extensions and relocating my current radius arm brackets back to where they need to be, along with 6" coil's (Used if I can find them, or new if it comes to it). So with this combo, what would I need for the C-bushings. I've read that I need 2 degree, 4 degree and not sure what I should get exactly. Anybody know exactly? I've read the SAS followup report page for help and couldn't find anything definate. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, one bit of pertinent information I left out - this is with the stock TTB Upper's, I'll see about changing this later on, but for now the stock upper coil bucket/shock mount will do fine.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Saurian said:
Ok, I'm pretty much ready to buy all junk to get the axles ready for my SAS/Rear swap. I'm getting a D44 Overhaul kit, 4.56R, 3.92-Up carrier, Spindle Bearing Repair Kit (x2), Balljoints, minispool/crosspin, gear install kit for the 9". I'm planning on ordering all of that from 4wheelcustoms here soon, and I figured while I'm getting all that I should get the C-bushing Kit. This is where I need help.

I'm planning on buying the B&T Rad Arm Extensions and relocating my current radius arm brackets back to where they need to be, along with 6" coil's (Used if I can find them, or new if it comes to it). So with this combo, what would I need for the C-bushings. I've read that I need 2 degree, 4 degree and not sure what I should get exactly. Anybody know exactly? I've read the SAS followup report page for help and couldn't find anything definate. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, one bit of pertinent information I left out - this is with the stock TTB Upper's, I'll see about changing this later on, but for now the stock upper coil bucket/shock mount will do fine.
Well, .....you stated 6" lift, but if you're not going to be using some minor drop bracket, then I'm thinking 4* for sure.

See, with the cage type arm, it is designed with some caster correction built in...4.25*. So with a typical 6" lift, you don't need much in the way of bushings. The mistake I made was going with 4*. Gave me too much caster (2* bushing would have been about right). Your case, if you're using stock stuff, depending on how exactly you're attaching the RA's to the frame...will determine C bushing. My guess is you would do well to go with a 4* C bushing.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just gonna get the axle where I want it, hook up the rad arms, and wherever the rad arm mount needs to be is where I'll bolt it. Thanks for replying.

What'd you do since you had too much? Get different bushings or some other "fix"?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Saurian said:
I'm just gonna get the axle where I want it, hook up the rad arms, and wherever the rad arm mount needs to be is where I'll bolt it. Thanks for replying.

What'd you do since you had too much? Get different bushings or some other "fix"?
The minor issue I have that I believe is attributable to excess + caster is that although the truck tracks nice and straight down the road, the return to center is wishy/washy. From what I've read this is from the caster. It's nothing I can't live with.

What you really don't want is very little +, neutral or even - caster.

·
Registered
59 Posts
im in the same boat, im using the b&t extentions also, i would like to mount the RA's with out a drop bracket, so i was also wondering what degree c bushing im going to need to order..

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
redbronco - how much did your extensions cost you? Did you get them recently? I haven't gotten ahol do fthem yet - I emailed but no answer, need to call sometime.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i havent ordered them yet, i just started tearin the ttb off ( im slow :) ), but last i checked on their website they were listed as $120, but ive read that people have paid as little as $60 for them so im not sure im going to try and contact them.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have a link? I can't find them on the website.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Good to have the price on that pinned down.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Saurian said:

Please bear with me as I just started researching SAS, and am just beginning to grasp all this new info.:brownbag
So, let me get this straight. If you "hang" your solid axle, then centre the axle in relation to the wheel house, you just see where the radius arm bracket needs to be on the frame? (either that seems simple or I'm missing something)
If so when one side's radius arm bracket drilled & bolted what is a good point of reference to measure for the other side? a frame body mount?
How much tolerance is acceptable?
These may sound like stupid questions, but I'm trying to figure out if this is a mod I am able to do mostly myself.
Jim

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
jimsl78 said:
Please bear with me as I just started researching SAS, and am just beginning to grasp all this new info.:brownbag
So, let me get this straight. If you "hang" your solid axle, then centre the axle in relation to the wheel house, you just see where the radius arm bracket needs to be on the frame? (either that seems simple or I'm missing something)
If so when one side's radius arm bracket drilled & bolted what is a good point of reference to measure for the other side? a frame body mount?
How much tolerance is acceptable?
These may sound like stupid questions, but I'm trying to figure out if this is a mod I am able to do mostly myself.
Jim
yes. you hang the axle once you have the coil towers bolted to the frame. The coil tower reference point most everyone has been using (since everyone is after bigger tires anyway) is to push the tower as far forward on the frame as it will go on our newer trucks with accordian section. It can only go forward about 1" and this is perfect for centering in the wheel well, and giving a bit more clearance at the back of the wheelwell. with RA attachment to frame, any "like" point of reference on both sides is just fine. You want to be as accurate as you can get it, but being off an 1/8th will likely not kill you. Just do your best to keep the measuring good and tight, and it will be fine. You will then also need to play with the track bar for aligning the axle side to side, again using the frame and a plumb bob or something to get it aligned.

·
Registered
643 Posts
finished my b&t extensions the other day.I like.
boxed with 1/4" steel

i bent the end of the old arm s out and somehow got them to point dead on with the brackets

·
Registered
59 Posts
bronco23- what size springs are you running up front and with what degree c bushing, and does it work good?

·
Registered
643 Posts
7* c, with 6" superflex from jbg.

pinion angle is much better now with the extensions.was pointed a little more upward.

the steering returnability kiks ass now with the gain in caster.

worked great before, havent tested since the extensions went on

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
bronco23 said:
7* c, with 6" superflex from jbg.

pinion angle is much better now with the extensions.was pointed a little more upward.

the steering returnability kiks ass now with the gain in caster.

worked great before, havent tested since the extensions went on
bronco23, there are always many questions here...I myself was not sure how this whole proper bushing deal worked until after the fact. There are several options with C bushing *, and arms, and I think it would be helpful to come to consensus with the best setting to shoot for based on the most widely shot for lift height of 6-7". I plan to repost this info. here tomorrow, but at that point, it's just my opinion. I need others' input to get this right and make sure we are advising of proper C bushing * based on certain items (given axle is still properly set from factory...has not been fubared). TBC:popc1:

·
Registered
643 Posts
:scratchhe

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
bronco23 said:
:scratchhe
Ok, I take that as confusion, so I will start now....

Assume 6-7" lift....

Bronco with cage or duff arms should take a 2* bushing (they have 4.25* correction built in), I installed 4*, for me a bit too much, beyond spec., which dependent on what you want to go with 78 bronc or 95 or? my haynes for a majority of TTB trucks specifies 2-6*+ (mine is about 8* with the 4* bushing and Cage arms)

Bronco with stock 78-79 RA's and no drop should take....????? 7* by you???/

Bronco with stock 78-79 RA's with X drop should take...????

Bronco with extended stock arm ??? same as I show above for non-extended/no drop?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts