Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know which connection is the out and which one is the in? I need to hook up my tranny cooler and I cant remember which port is the supply and which is the return. Seems like the fitting at the front by the pump would be the out going one that would supply the cooler and the one in the rear would be the return line?

Then again are there seperate connections for the ones that go to the radiator and ones that go to the tranny cooler? I need some diagram help for plumbing this thing.

Thanks for any and all help guys!

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Question from the dumb guy here: Does it matter, as long as fluid is flowing through the thing? Especially if you have one of those nifty plate style coolers.

Not trying to be an ass, just never considered the direction mine was hooked up in.

·
Super Moderator
27,017 Posts
yo,

Cooler Fitting Location/Flow Direction; Fitting Location Thread Size Flow Direction
Front Fitting is ¼" Pipe Cooler feed/out
Rear Fitting is ¼" Pipe Return/in
Source: by TCI Automotive tciauto.com via web.archive.org

"...When one or more of the fluid cooler steel tubes must be replaced, each replacement tube must be fabricated from the same size steel tubing as the original line. Using the original fluid tube as a guide, bend the new tube as required. Add the necessary fittings, and install the tube. Make sure that the replacement tube has adequate clearance relative to other components, especially the exhaust system and parts having sharp edges. After the fittings have been tightened, add fluid as needed, and check for fluid leaks..."
Source: by Ford

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Hes asking which line to cut and splice into for the new tranny cooler.
Oh, OK! Hows this?

Transmission auxiliary coolers are a great idea to improve the life expectancy of your automatic transmission. They are generally hooked up with the transmission cooler pressure line hooked to the radiator, and the cooler installed in the cooler return line circuit. This way the cooler is most efficient at bringing the temperature down. Remember, every 20 degree drop in temperature doubles the life of the fluid. Some later model transmissions work best with the cooler in the pressure circuit, so that the fluid does not gel when the outside air temperature is well below freezing. The absolute best method for installing a cooler is to hook it up in parallel with the radiator cooler so that the cooler pressure is reduced and the fluid flow is maximized. The coolers which we stock are all lifetime guaranteed and the best quality money can buy! Call us today for all your transmission cooler needs!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"...When one or more of the fluid cooler steel tubes must be replaced, each replacement tube must be fabricated from the same size steel tubing as the original line.
I dont know if I understand this. Is this saying that a bigger ID or OD line cant be used? I was planning on running steel braided hose.

Here is the plan Stan:

I am going to run steel braided line from the pressure port on the tranny to the Radiator. From there I am going to run steel braid from the Radiator to the A/C condensor that I am going to use for a tranny cooler. From that point the line will run back to a filter head with a spin on filter . Then of course returning to the tranny after being heated, cooled and filtered. Does this sound good?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts