Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the engine and tranny out of my Bronco today. The bell housing is all busted to shit. It has has about 6 or 7 pieces to it now. I had the t case out for about a month now and took it down last night. It has some piece of sheet metal that was attached somewhere had been broke off and sent through the gears. It was still attached to the gear where it had been put through the mill. So with a locked up motor to boot this means everything is bad now.

My question is "Are 2x4 C6's and 4x4 C6's different?". If so what parts are different? If I can get a 2x4 can swap my 4x4 stuff into it and maybe add a tail housing or something or this impossible?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,396 Posts
I'm no tranny guy, but have seen this. From Common Replies to FAQs
#27 I found a 2wd transmission that I want to use. Can I simply unbolt the tailhousing and bolt on a t-case adapter?

No. The output shaft has to be swapped and that involves tearing down the transmission completely to do so.
It sounds like if you were to tear it down & swap the outputshaft from your old trans, it could be done, but it's a lot of work. And with everything else that's busted on your truck, who knows what damage was done to the output shaft. It seems like you'd be better off finding a 4wd drive trans instead.

So, no real help from me. Bump for a real trans guy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That sheet metal is likely the arm from the pump that spun out of it's holder. It's a common problem on the 1356 if thats what you have.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just did mine, Pretty much a complete teardown to get the output shaft out. Not too bad really, takes a couple hours and a clean table. I used a video I bought online to help me. If you have a cheap c6 2wd then get it. Then find your tcase. If you can find a divorce np205 then you don't have to modify it at all....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts